It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #1

amanda84 HB User
morning sickness blues

Im 9 wks and i cant stop getting sick...im not talking 2 or 3 times during the day but like 9 and its all day. It got so bad i went to the hospital and had an IV put in and they gave me a pill called phenergan. But the pill wasn't working so i stopped taking it (afraid of birth defects). I cant even take pre-natal pills because I get sick after I take them. Yesterday I had to work and I ran to the bathroom a dozen times. Is this normally? Should I go back to the hospital? I do have a doc. apt. on Wed. Im really scared because i did loose my first pregnancy and I really want to enjoy this one.

I did hear that this is something that happens to woman having twins....do you think it is? I need advice hopefully someone else knows what im going threw and can help me out.

Thanks!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

pootie231 HB User
Re: morning sickness blues

Hey there, I think you should make an appt. with your Dr. and ask about the condition Hyperemesis Gravidarum. This is an exaggerated form of morning sickness that is most common in first-time moms and moms carrying multiples. It is not something to take lightly as you can suffer from malnutrition and dehydration which is harmful to you and your baby. I'm not saying this is what you have, but get it checked out for sure and hopefully they can figure out what is going on and give you some relief. Let us know how things went!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 02:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

Hi Amanda

You definately shouldn't wait until Wed. to see a doctor. I would go straight back to the hospital. I was diagnosed with Hyperemesis Gravidarum early in my pregnancy and have been in the hospital several times for IV treatment. Once dehydration takes hold of you the sickness gets even worse and ketones are released into your blood stream. I've had ketosis twice and it can only be treated through IV fluid replacement.

My midwife also told me it was best to not take pre-natal vitamins during the worst of the sickness. They can make even women who have no sickness at all feel queasy so for the time being I wouldn't even try taking them.

Whatever meds the docs give you for the sickness..TAKE THEM. Even if it seems like they may not be working enough to keep food down they may work well enough for you to keep liquids down which is very important. I was on Cyclizine 50mg 3x a day for weeks and even though I didn't like the idea of taking the tablets I knew that it was best for my baby that I try and get well enough to keep a little food down. If you can't take tablets while in hospital you can ask for injections. That's what I did..the meds get into your blood stream faster.

The doctor also thought I was having twins because of how sick I was but it turned out to be HG which is common in first-time moms. At 26 weeks it stills rears it's head about every 10 days or so but I have to say that I'm feeling a lot stronger now.

You hang in there hun and get to the hospital. IV treatment will also replace potassium which is lost through excessive vomiting.

Check back in with us when you can. Take care. I've been there so I know how hard it is but trust it does get better and you'll get such a lovely reward at the end of it all.

((HUGS))

Nicole x

Old 06-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

I forgot to add that it would probably be a good idea to get signed off from work for a week or two so you can get some rest. Being sick so often really wears you down and having to worry about getting to work doesn't help.

Take care.

Nicole x

Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
(female)

wyliemom HB User

Im sorry you are feeling so bad. Ive been there and still there. But my Dr. put me on Reglan and it helps most of the time. So definitly talk to your Dr. and see what you can do. Dont be afraid of birth defects with taking something to help that the Dr. gives you. He wont give it to you if it will hurt the baby, and its more harmful if you get dehydrated or weak. I feel your pain!! Good luck and let us know how the appt goes.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #6

amanda84 HB User

well ladies thank you so much for your advice...i spent the last 3 days in the hospital and they have switched me over to reglan. i had an ultra sound and i everything is perfect (thank god!) and i heard its heart beat, which was really cool. i do have another apt. next week to follow up. i ended up having hypermesis gravidrum, so if you think you might have it...go to the doctors its worth it! thanks again and i hope everyone is doing great! ill keep in touch!

much love,
amanda

Old 06-14-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

Hi Amanda

So happy to hear from you again! Don't take this the wrong way but I was hoping that you had been in the hospital. Those IV treatments really can make all the difference. It sounds like you are being well looked after which is fantastic! HG will typically ease off around week 20 but everyone is different. Yours could ease off earlier while I still have bad days with mine even though I'm now at week 26.

It's great that you got to have a scan and hear the heartbeat. I found that to be very reassuring and comforting when I was in the hospital.

You take care hun and keep in touch.

((HUGS))

Nicole x

Closed Thread