It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

marcief HB User
Question Thinning cervix

Worried Mom here! Daughter is 27 weeks and has been told by Dr. that her cervis is thinning. It has changed from a 2.3 to 2.1 in past two weeks and just told her to barely do anything. Does anyone know what the normal number is, and can she carry to full term? If anyone has had a similar experience or can shed some light on this situation, any input would be appreciated. Thanks for any comments !

Old 06-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattieos HB User
Re: Thinning cervix

it has gone from 2.3 to 2.1? i am not sure what that measurement means, when they told me mine had thinned it was at 80%.
When they measured me for dilation, it is a number from 1-10, but if it went from 2.3 to 2.1 that means it is undialating, and that would be good.
Sorry I can't help more

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 07:40 AM   #3

caedmyn HB User

I don't have any idea what the numbers mean, but I do know that you can be partially dialated and partially effaced (thinned cervix) for several weeks without going into labor, so I would say it doesn't necessarily mean she is going to go into labor soon.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

janeslk HB User

I had a thinned cervix with the birth of my second child many years ago. He was seven weeks premature and all turned out fine. My doctor later told me my cervix had thinned with my first child who I carried to full-term. I only had a six-hour labor with him. Early in my pregnancy with my third child I had a circlage to prevent a premature birth. I imagine they have different procedures since this was all more than 20 years ago. Tell her to stay off her feet as much as possible. With my second child I was to have complete bed rest after it was discovered it was thinning, but ended up going into labor before I left the hospital. Everything will be fine, the medical technology is so much better now than it was then.

Old 06-14-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
(female)

sam0831 HB User

I was diagnosed with an incompitent cervix and received a cerclage at 20 weeks my measurement was 2.1 which was not very good normal measurement is anywhere from 3.4 and up. I was put on bedrest at 25 weeks and in and out of hospital until I delivered at 36 weeks. has your daughter been put on bed rest? is she having contractions? keep us updated. good luck

Old 06-15-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
(female)

kcherrywa HB User

The number they look for is 3 - that is, 3cm in depth. My sis-in-law measured a 2.3 in an exam she had about 24 weeks, then three days later measured 1.8, and the doc put her on bed rest for the rest of her pregnancy. This is because if the cervix thins ("effaces") completely, the baby is in danger of being born... something that any OB looks for in exams in the last weeks of pregnancy is that degree of effacement, since it is an indicator of how close a woman is to labor, in addition to dilation. My sis-in-law has weekly cervical depth measurements now, and the measurement has gone up -- and down again-- since the initial diagnosis of a "short cervix". The shorter the measurement, the less activity she is supposed to have.... at the low end, she's confined to a reclining position except for breaks to eat, bathe, and go to the bathroom... she cannot even ride in the car as a passenger.

Because she was diagnosed close to her third trimester, circlage (where they sew the cervix shut until the baby is "fully baked") is not a possibility.

I should mention my sis-in-law's father is an OB as well, so she gets a very attentive second opinion on everything. He confirms that bed rest is the best approach. At 27 weeks, the baby is viable if born -- they just want to give the little one the chance to develop as much as possible before that happens. At 36 weeks, the restrictions ease up, as a baby born after that point is adequately developed and pretty much ready to be born.

Good luck to your daughter!

Closed Thread