It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User
Unhappy Horrible Heartburn... and getiing worse

I am just 5 1/2 months and the heartburn is just getting worse. It seems that i am getting it lateley no matter what i eat or drink. Yesterday i had it in the morning and that was before i even ate anything.

Today i had it about 1/2 hour after a cup of coffee (decaf). Then for the past few nights it seems to come out of nowhere.

I take Tums but it doesnt seem to work. Anyone else having this problem. Any remedies/

Old 06-20-2005, 04:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Horrible Heartburn... and getiing worse

I had bad heartburn. When Tums started to be ineffective, my doctor told me to take Zantac 75 up to 4 times a day and supplement with Tums. That worked for a while, and when that started to be ineffective, she told me to take Prilosec OTC once a day. That worked through the end of pregnancy. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 05:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

I had the same problem too. I found that Pepcid A/C worked really well. It is basically a Pepcid tablet that has a TUMS component to it as well so it has both immediate and long-lasting effects. You can take 3 or 4 a day and it's best to take them before you eat. I usually chew one right when I get up and lots of times that takes care of it for the day.

Good luck.

-Jen

Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

Honestly, the only thing that has worked for me with heartburn is baking soda. I take a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda with a full glass of water and almost INSTANTLY I feel relief. It really works fantastically for me. It is one of baking soda's recommended uses and really hits the spot.

The only down side for me, is that I'm sure to have to pee about 15 minutes later, but what else is new!?

Edited to add: Word of caution. You will probably want to chug it quickly because it isn't exactly the most pleasent of tastes, but like I said it gets the job done.

Last edited by MissChicopea; 06-20-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
(female)

RebbieO HB User

Welcome to the club! I started getting really bad indigestion at about the same point in my pregnancy. Before that, peppermint tea used to put a stop to it, but then I moved on to chewable Rennies (they taste like peppermint sweets so it's a bit difficult to just take one!). My midwife also prescribed a massive bottle of Gaviscon, which tastes disgusting, but does the job quickly and effectively.

Just a quick tip, though - if you end up having to stay in hospital before you have your baby, make sure you take your own indigestion remedies as they are really stingy with it (they give you about 1 tsp) and once you have got used to almost drinking it out of the bottle, it doesn't seem quite so effective!

Rebbie

Old 06-20-2005, 05:07 PM   #6

Maxx09 HB User

I am 24 weeks and having the same problem. It causes nausea and I've been having a wierd backache on the opposite side of my stomach. My doc just prescribed me Prevacid and says it is safe to take while pregnant. I'm getting the script filled tomorrow and hopefully it will help. I'll let you know!

Old 06-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Don't lie down while having heartburn. It will only make it worse. If you are sleepy, then prop yourself up as much as possible. They say that the more heartburn, the more hair your baby will have, but I didn't have much heartburn at all and my son was born with a full head.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

Has anyone taken Prevavcid during pregnancy (Lansoprazole)? I did research and found it was a category B like Pepcid, so I asked my doc for a script and he gave me one. I just feel almost guilty having to take meds during pregnancy, but I have a hiatal hernia so I'm suffering from the acid. (I also have to take allergy medication because those are severe too). It would be reassuring to hear how many of you had a healthy baby after taking medications!

Old 11-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

I got my Prevacid today. I'm so happy. I suffered for 4 months with Pepcid.
I'm glad there are alternatives! Isn't science wonderful?

Old 11-17-2005, 06:09 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

I know this might sound crazy, but make sure you have a good pair of maternity pants that offer lots of room. I've found that the tighter my pants are, the worse the heartburn.
Coffee, citrus juices, onions and peppers are things I just won't be having until this pregnancy is over. My doctor gave me Zantac 150 too--he said it's better than taking Tums because on his list (he showed me) Tums is a catagory C--anyone else heard of this? I thought the chewable Tums/Rolaids variety were supposed to be safer?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 AM   #11

tooty HB User

My doc told me to take a teaspoon full of yellow mustard. Its sounds crazy, but it did work. I passed this along to some friends, and they got the same results. Its a little hard to get down at times, but it brought me alot of relief when the medicines didn't.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
(female)

dragonsbeauty HB User

My indigestion was bad about a month ago, and then here recently it comes and goes.. I really havent been eating a whole lot, but I am sure when I get as far along as you are, then I am sure I will have problems. I usually take zantac 150 about 2 times a day. It works well, tums are horrible. They stopped working for me 2 months in my pregnancy, I am 17 weeks pregnant now, so.. also, what I found helps me, is a prescription called protonix. It works great. But I just dont have the money for it..lol.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:14 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Sherbet HB User

GAVISCON GAVISCON GAVISCON...!!!!!

It has been my saviour... it comes in chewable or liquid form and in different flavours (lemon, aniseed and peppermint - my favourite )

Chew on a tablet before bed with some milk to wash it down with and if you find yourself with any twinges you can always prop yourself up with a pillow or five ...

My heart burn was really bad in my second semester and has lessened into my third trimester (I may regret saying that...).

Good luck

Old 11-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User

Don't be afraid to ask for a prescription. Prevacid is a category B and works AWESOME.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:08 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

my doc told me to take maalox...but i ahve to admit, towards the end, i was eating them like candy...that is up until month 7 when i was hospitalized...

Closed Thread