It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

Fairywings HB User
Question about H.P.T. accuracy

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and hoping someone can help me out.

First, a helpful bit of background. I am almost 25 and I've never been pregnant before. I typically run on a 35-day cycle (my periods are usually about 4 weeks apart, give or take a few days, sometimes even a week). My periods are always preceeded by intense cramping, backaches, bloating, and sore breasts, which pretty much last throughout its duration. My periods are always heavy, and during my heaviest days require both a tampon and maxi pad, so there is no way I could ever confuse spotting with a period, since light periods do not exist in my world. I have also never spotted between periods except for when I was on the pill.

I have been off of the pill for a few years now but have used condoms ever since. However, my boyfriend and I have had unprotected sex a few times over the past couple of months. I last had my period around the first week of May, so I expected it to arrive again around the second week of June. On June 11th, I experienced some very light brownish spotting which I assumed was the beginning of my period. However, over the following days, this spotting turned into a pink discharge that remained very light - so light that it only required a panty liner or a piece of folded tissue - which lasted until June 15th. From then on, I've had a heavier-than-normal clear/cloudy discharge without any blood in it whatsoever. I have felt some occasional mild cramps in my lower abdomon, and I have been tired a lot, but nothing else.

It is now June 20th. Technically my period is about two weeks late, with almost a week having gone by since I last experienced the light spotting (if the spotting was in fact my period, then it was a first ever). I took a Home Pregnancy Test (E.P.T. - the plus/minus one) this afternoon and got a negative.

I'm not only confused as ever now, but I am also wondering if there is a possibility that the test could be wrong (although I followed the instructions to the tee). Is it worth re-testing? And if so, should I try a different brand? Or was the negative result most likely accurate with something else being the underlying cause?

Sorry for the long post. This is all very new to me.

Last edited by Fairywings; 06-20-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User
Re: Question about H.P.T. accuracy

I would have guessed you are are pregnant but the negative really throws me off too. Maybe there is something else in your life causing this, like stress or weight gain/loss. Those things can affect your cycle. You might think about if there are other things going on in your life that could affect your cylcle. If not, I would try to test again in about a week or so when the hormones are stronger if you are pregnant. With my experiences the EPT has given me the best accuracy. I hope this helps, I am really not sure. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
(female)

Fairywings HB User

Thank you Sweetea.

One thing I forgot to mention was that not even the negative line was a dark or solid one. It was broken into four thin horizontal lines (but no vertical line running through to indicate a positive). Do the E.P.T. lines normally look like this?

As for stress ... I think I'm always a bit stressed. No weight gain or loss though. Looks like I might have to retest in about a week then. I would suspect that if I am indeed pregant, I could only be about 2-3 weeks along.

Last edited by Fairywings; 06-20-2005 at 06:39 PM.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

I would recommend the one with the digital pregnant or not pregnant, much easier to read and no guess work. I would wait a few days to a week and if AF hasn't shown, I would test again. Sometimes it takes alittle longer for the HCG levels to rise for the hpt to read them. Goodluck to you, and baby dust too. Let us know!
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Closed Thread