It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User
Retaining Water

I was told that my body is retaining water. Is anyone going through this? The Dr. said this is probably why my legs hurt so much at night. She said i need to watch the salt intake and that it is normal for some woman to have this in the summer. I am bummed though because it is adding to my total weight gain.

My question is, if i really watch what i am eating will it go down at all. What is the best way to get this under control? What are some good foods to eat?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User
Re: Retaining Water

I just wrote this about an hour ago in the September Mommies thread. I have been retaining water & have been really watching the salt. Here's the paragraph I just wrote...copied & pasted from that thread:

"I've been doing an experiment over the last couple days so far with my salt intake, because I have been swelling a lot. I have completly cut out salt. I'm only eating whole foods with no flavoring or preservatives. Only fruit, vegetables, and unseasoned chicken. No salad dressing, or even a bite of junk food. Only drinking water and decaf iced green tea. I cannot believe how much I'm peeing over the last couple days, but more surprised at how much urine is coming out. I have been peeing a lot for quite a while now, but the amount of urine up to now has been minimal. I actually feel thinner & lighter, and my swelling is gone. My doctor has been talking to me about my weight gain, yet he is commenting he feels most of my weight recently is fluid...because I HAVE been eating really well. I really think I'm just extremely sensitive to salt...more sensitive than average. I'll be curious to see how much I weigh when I go back on Monday."

Hope that helps.
Gayle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

im1here HB User

Wow!!! That's great that you found something that works for you...I'm gonna try that, but I hope I have the willpower to skip out on sweets!!!

I have read that keeping your feet elevated as much as possible, drinking lots of water, warm baths at night, wearing support stockings or pantyhose and increasing protein intake helps w/swelling. I did all of that my first pg and it didn't help much...maybe I'm really sensitive to salt too, but these ideas may help someone else!!

Jenn

Last edited by im1here; 06-22-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:00 PM   #4

busybee HB User

I was really suffering from water retention and looked pretty puffy and was upset over my weight and feeling so FAT. Then I got diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and since then have watched my carbs and no sweets and my swelling is practically gone. Everyone has commented on how I really thinned out and now instead of comments on my size I hear things like you're just all belly. I hate that I have diabetes but am glad that the swelling ended. I still eat lots of salty foods... and put salt on everything. It's not an issue with salt for me??

Closed Thread