It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

KLKL HB User
Unhappy Please give me input any will help - Preterm Labor

Hello All,
I am 26 weeks PG and last night i had to go to the hospital because i had Contractions and the doctor kept me there over night so make sure i don't go to labor Since it is still very early for labor. They gave me 2 shots to stop the contractions. It helped but i getting them back not as often as yesterday and i have lower back pains too. Has anyone been through this. I feel like there is something so wrong with this and the doctor cannot tell why i have contractions. I am very scared, very sad, don't know what to do. i am afraid of doing anything. Has any of you expereince this. the only good news is that my cervix is still closed. Doc said if it was open or my water breaks they cannot stop anything. so howmany contractions are normal and what is not. I mean do you guys get contraction at this stage of Pregnancy too. Is there something really wrong??? I am so scared and sad i can break in to tears. Please write to me. Thank you

Old 06-24-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
(female)

emilyallison HB User
Re: Please give me input any will help - Preterm Labor

I know its hard not to, but please try not to stress and be upset. That could make things worse. I am going thru the same things and am 24 weeks PG. Ive noticed when I lay down, put my feet up, and drink TONS of water, they start to slow down and eventually stop. When I say TONS of water, I mean tons! Im drinking 2-3quarts a day. My Dr put me on limited bedrest too, are you on bedrest?, if not you should be!! I see a midwife also, who told me to take a warm (not hot) bath and drink a glass of red wine in it, that it helps relax the body and uterus so you stop contracting. I have been trying all of this and it truly helps. Though, dont do the wine thing all the time, only once or twice a week! I hope this helps a little, I will be thinking of you and your baby!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I had preterm labor at 32 weeks with my daugher and was hospitalized for almost a week and the meds didn't stop the contractions, like you I wasn't dialating either, so was sent home on limited activity. I had the contractions right up to when she was born at 36 weeks.
This pregnancy I was just in the hospital (31 weeks) I was having 2-4 contractions every 10 minutes. They gave me 2 shots of steroids for the babys lungs in case I do deliver early, and checked me twice in 3 hours with no change so they sent me home. The Ob said noone knows why this happens, the most common reasons are dehydration, urinary infections, and overdoing yourself...none of which was my problem this week, so other than those there really is noone who can tell you why. She said some people just have irritable uterus's and will contract but it won't be the type of contractions that cause any changes...they did tell me to keep watch over it and if they get stronger or I show any other types of labor symptoms to go in and they'll make sure it's not the real thing again.
Other than that try to take it easy, get as much water and rest as possible and concentrate on getting past 36 weeks...the longer the better but anything after 36 weeks is the full term mark so aim for there, and hope you last longer.
Goodluck hun, you aren't alone.

Last edited by kierrasmommy; 06-24-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User

KKKK this past Januaray when I was 25 weeks with my son I too went to the hospital and found out I was having pre-term labor contractions. Very scary I know. They gave me a shot of Terbudaline to try and slow down the contractions and luckily it worked. They told me of course to follow up with my Dr. the next day. Went to my Dr. and he told me that next time it starts up to drink a glass of water and lay on my left side and monitor the contractions for an hour...if I have more than four in an hour I needed to get myself to the hospital again. Well a week past and while I was at work..well it happened all over again. Had to call my fiance to come get me. Again went to the hospital and was monitored for 5 hours and given 2 shots of Terbudaline to stop the contractions. Luckily my Dr. was in the hospital doing a c-section and when they informed him that I was in OB/Triage he came down and viewed my chart and surprinsinly they found out that I had a urinary tract infection and that is what probably caused my pre-term labor contractions. He gave me a prescription to treat the UTI and also prescribed me Terbudaline (pill form) to take EVERY six hours until he basically told me not to any longer which was about 36 weeks. I know it's scary, but if you're working and this keeps happening your Dr. will most likely put you on a mild best rest and ask you to stop working like he did with me. I had to stop working as well. Just take care of yourself and try not to overdue things when it comes to house work and such. I continue to wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy and delivery.

Last edited by redsoxcubbies; 06-24-2005 at 08:33 PM.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
(female)

sam0831 HB User

KKKK - I know exactly how you feel, I went into pre-term labor at 25 weeks last June. When I went to the hospital I was so scared and confused. They kept me for 6 days that time and I was put on mag sulfate. And when I was sent home, I had a terbutaline pump and a at home monitoring system that tracked my contractions several times a day. I ended up in the hospital several times for the next 11 weeks. In for a few days out for 2 days, basically. I had one more mag wash out and was taken off my terb pump and had my cerclage taken out at 34 weeks 1 day. I remained in the hospital for the rest of my pregnancy and delivered a healthy beautiful girl at 36 weeks. My prayers and thoughts are with you. Hang in there and do everything your doctor tells you. take it easy and stay hydrated.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
(female)

KLKL HB User

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you. Your comments all are very helpful and you guys show so much support. again thank you so much for the responds. I am due in sept and it is end of june. God, I hope eveything goes well. I am resting most of the time have limited my activities i hope that changes things. This pregnancy hasn't been easy at all for me. I started off having twins i lost one when i was 12 weeks Also have been sick all the day long. not just mornings all day! Have had so many complications. The other day after the hospital i broke into tears with no reason in the shower. I guess it all got to me all of the sudden but any ways again THANKS a whole bunch.
you guys take care too.

Old 06-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
(female)

Natasha2316 HB User

I just wanted to say that I really am hoping for you to do well with this. I can only imagine how hard it must be to go through. I am on my first pregnancy and only 14 weeks so I am not sure what to expect coming up yet. I hope you keep everyone updated and I hope you feel better soon!

Natasha

Closed Thread