It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

traycei HB User
Question which side is best for baby while sleeping

i was told that the best side to sleep on is ur left side but i always wake in the night to find i am on my back.
will this hurt the baby and deprive him/her of oxygen?
and my favorite side to lay on is my right but how do u change over just like that and be able to be comfy?

Old 06-27-2005, 07:10 AM   #2
(female)

wyliemom HB User
Re: which side is best for baby while sleeping

They say the best side is the left side. I cant remember what all was said about it, except that the left side is the best. Sorry I cant be of more help on it, Ill try to look it up again. Im also a right side sleeper and I still sleep on my right side. Its not the best but its better than the back. I try to sleep on my left side too, but always end up on my right again. I do know it is something about the lack of oxygen getting to the baby when sleeping on your back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

Don't worry, if you lay on your back its okay, your body will tell you when its not, cause it will no longer we comfortable. They do usually advise for you to switch to the left side if you aren't feeling well!
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Old 06-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Anyside is fine, when they are reffering to your left side it is best to lie on your left sided if you have issues with blood pressure, that is where the left side scenario comes in

Old 06-27-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

Sleeping on ur left side gives your body the most blood circulation. This also helps to prevent swelling of the ankles and cramps in the legs.

Old 06-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I had an in-depth discussion on this topic with my doctor a couple months ago. The answer from my doctor is you can sleep in whatever position you want to, as long as you are comfortable, and when you get up, you are not getting dizzy. If you are in the first trimester, it really is not an issue unless you have problems you're being monitored for and are told how to lay down.

The left side of your body has the primary artery (forget the name of it this second) that pumps blood to your uterus/baby and the lower half of your body.

The right side of your body has the primary vein (vena cava) that pumps the blood back up to your heart.

The arteries are stronger and better at pumping blood than veins.

Ideally, you would sleep/rest on your left side because:
1. As you get bigger, the weight of the uterus/baby/fluid supposedly become too heavy and put a lot of weight on your spine causing back pain. Laying on your back is supposed to get uncomfortable. Around 28 weeks is when my doctor says people start complaining about not being able to sleep on their backs. He also says some people sleep on their back until the very end.

2. Your body weight on your left side is preferable becasue the arteries are stronger than the veins; thus, allowing better blood flow throughout your body.

I personally am at 29 Weeks and sleep on my back mostly. I'll roll to whatever side hurts the least in the middle of the night.

If you are on bedrest, or in some sort of distress, they'll want you to keep to your left side as much as possible.

You ask how do you just switch sleeping positions?? Your body will switch sleeping positions for you. I used to be a left-side sleeper my entire life...now I've become a back sleeper in pregnancy. You will sleep in whatever position hurts the least.
Gayle

Old 06-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

Gayle I have to second your post. You sleep on whatever side feels most comfortable. Your body will definitely let you know. I switch sides throughout the night and will sometimes end up on my back. I actually end up switching off my back though because it causes discomfort (I'm at that golden mark too, 28 weeks). My doctor has okayed it and said that so long as I'm having a healthy pregnancy it shouldn't cause an additional problems.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
(female)

Angela3 HB User

i 've been told the left side by docs but i always slept on my right, it was the most comfortable for me.....And I just had my third on May 17, a girl! Isabella (6 weeks tomorrow) my 2nd Anna (4 years) and Anthony(11 years)

Old 06-27-2005, 11:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Just thought I's weigh in. I have to go for non-stress tests at least once a week b/c I have preeclampsia. My bp is always high when I lay on my back during teh tests. They then have me tunr onto whichever side is most comfortable, which for me is the right. They say it's perfectly fine and my bp goes way down. Until the preeclapsia stuff started, my doctor said to get sleep in whatever position I could find comfortable.

-Jen

Closed Thread