It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User
Clothing questions

Im faced with a delemia... Im 9 weeks and have already outgrown my bras. Right now Im at the end of a Bcup, so I was wonderign if it would make more sense go straight to a Ccup instead of having to go up a size every month. I had another question... it is summer as you are aware of that.. lol but most of my sumemr clothes do not fit me, but I don't reallly want to buy more because by the end of augest I will have to get maternity clothing. Any ideas as to what I could do? Im due the very end of Jan so Im going to need a winter jacket, but Im only really pregnant for 2.5 colder months, and it is will only be feb so I'll have to wear a winter jackey april. I don't have any bigger winter jackets and I hate the idea of buying one for 2 months of wearing. Im sure others have dealt with this so feel free to leave suggestions.

Last edited by Fullfire; 06-27-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #2

busybee HB User
Re: Clothing questions

Here are some of my suggestions with clothing. First check consignment stores. I found great buys at several area stores. They also have children's clothing sales that daycares and neighborhood sponsor each season and each one I went to also had maternity clothes. I just couldn't stand to pay so much for cheap maternity clothing at places like Motherhood. Also, for shirts- check the men's dept at cheap stores like Target and Kmart. I would buy clearance button downs for $5 or less. They fit me all the way through b/c it was long and roomy. The men's shirts also made me look smaller. As far as a bra and coat. A bra is a must...too uncomfortable otherwise and I was pregnant in winter and I just didn't button or zip my coat. Of course I live in the south- but it still gets cold here. You could also look into your husband's coats or buy a man's coat. Maternity clothes are just so overpriced! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

I am due Jan 12th with my 2nd child. I already have maternity clothes from last year when I had my son, so I bought a few items a size larger to use for now to give me some extra room as I grow. I got some items that would be good for now, and after I deliver to use as I lose the baby weight! If your DH or SO is larger than you then you may be able to bum some of his shirts and just use a rubberband on your pants. Or if you have a sibling or mother that is slightly larger, bum some stuff. I hit like Walmart and some cleareance racks and stuff, so I didn't spend that much! But it more roomy to grow into! As far as the coat, just don't button or zip it, cause you won't need it that long. Depending on where you live you may not need it at all since you will be pretty far along and may be a bit on the warm side and not need it. Or if your DH or SO has a coat you could use it (if he is bigger than you). The consignment shops are also great!!!

As for the bra, invest in a comfy one. I had this problem last time where that was the first thing I grew like over night and was extremly tender, I got a sports bra to sleep in cause it was more comfortable then without something. ( I never did lose the extra in the boobs, but thankfully they haven't gotten bigger so far this time).
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Old 06-27-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Here are my thoughts on clothes:
For the bras...I would recommend some sports bras for everyday/night use. Don't get anything super expensive. Just look for comfort and good support. If you find one you like, get a couple (or a few) of them. I got all mine at Wal-Mart. I highly recommend the kind that really aren't a specific cup size, they are meant to stretch over several sizes. For example, my favorite ones are size 34, and fit cups A, B, and C. I bought my first ones around 9 or 10 weeks and am STILL wearing them just fine in Week 29. I was a 34 A, and now am a full C cup. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a 36 instead of a 34...I wasn't thinking too much about the future when I bought them, and I'm sure the 36 would have fit back then. The bras I got are just so darn stretchy (NO Underwires!) that the 34 is a little snug now, but not uncomfortable. These will last all the way to the end for me.

Because the sports bras tend to have the tank style, and don't plunge much, I found that I needed at least 1 regular bra I could wear with the certain shirts that had a v-neck or are a little lower cut. Again, don't spend much $$ because you will grow out of them faster than you think. I'm on my 2nd "regular" bra so far this pregnancy, I'm wearing them until I am busting out of them & they are uncomfortable to wear...and I will definitely need another size up in a regular bra before it's over.

For regular clothing, I wish someone would have told the following to me:
If you need maternity clothes this early on in pregnancy & want to wear them, by all means, go for it. I was in maternity pants at 9 or 10 weeks, and shirts by Week 11 due to weight gain and bloating...not the baby. Just remember, the maternity clothes you are buying for yourself now will not fit you later on in the pregnancy...unless you are one of those who is not gaining any weight. You'll find yourself all of a sudden grown out of all the clothes you bought, and having to shell out the $$ all over again to have clothes that fit.

Fortunately, I'm starting to see the summer items starting to go on sale about now. If you buy anything, buy it a little big on you so you can wear it later in the summer. I think you'll be surprised (I sure was) when the day comes when you cannot wear the cute things you bought.

I second the opinion on consignment and Goodwill stores. Every once on a while, you'll find some good stuff.

I also second the comment about borrowing your husband/boyfriends shirts early on...just because it will save you the $$ and the grief of having to buy bigger sizes in the near future. I personally think my husbands shirts made me look huge, and appropriate-sized maternity clothes made me look thinner, but to each his/her own.

I see an overwhelming about of maternity pants with the 3-4 inch elastic band that goes around the waist. These seem to be good earlier on. There will come a time in your pregnancy when your belly starts getting big that these will not stay up anymore. These pants are too "low rise", and the band just slides down below your belly. You will have to pull your pants up every 3 minutes. Embrace the full-paneled maternity pants. You will know when the time has arrived. Don't spend a load of $$ on the elastic waistband pants after Week 22 or 23 (estimating here...everyone will be different) because all that will stay up are the full-paneled pants that you have to pull up right under your boobs.

I don't know about the coats, as it will still be warm out when my baby comes. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas on that.

Hope that helps!
Gayle

Old 06-27-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

I live in Canada so a winter coat is a must! Also Im very petite, so I couldn't wear men's clthing.. lol I can barely fit into women's. It wasn't until the last year ot so I started wearing women's clothing because I was so small. I have looked at some of the maternity clothign you can wear after the baby is born too, but Im not sure I really want to wear anything maternity wise longer than I have to. I was checking out old navy's maternity line. I like thier active wear, it looks very comfy and spacious. Do people really baby registries.. I did one at babiesrus.ca I figure it seems like the easiest thing to do.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

Yeah the baby registries are a really nice thing! I did one at babies r us and Walmart! Maybe see if there is a consignment shop for a coat since you will need one! Our Winters aren't usually to bad here! As far as afterwards, I was like you and didn't want anything to do with the maternity clothes after I had my son so I had things to wear that was just loose fitting, and lost most of my pregnancy weight within 2 wks and was back into my prepregnancy clothes. Goodluck to you! I was a plus size so I had a hard time finding maternity clothes, and if you are that little you probably will have a tuff time too!

Old 06-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

go online to old navy I was told they have inexpensive maternity clothes there too! I am wearing my husbands jeans! LOL I also love regular hanes white tshirts - mens clothing works well for me!

Old 06-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

FirstTimeMomma HB User

I purchased my first maternity jeans at about 7 weeks because I was so bloated that I could not zip my regular jeans any more!!! lol!

Then as my work pants started getting tighter (around 10 weeks) I broke down and purchased the pants with the 3-4 inch panel and a little elastic extender on the sides to allow for growth. Very comfy for sure!!!

I still have yet to find a really comfy bra though.

As far as shirts I just went and purchased a size or 2 larger than my normal size to bridge the gap between now and maternity tops. You can get really good sales right now and shopping clearance racks helps too...

Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

When I bought bras with the last pregnancy I went ahead and bought breastfeeding ones, since I was going to need them afterwards. I got a size bigger around and up a cup (from a D to DD) and thankfully I was just bigger in the beginning and those worked thru out the pregnancy and right after when we attempted breast feeding, my breast however didn't go back down afterwards. Which surprised me.

And I was worried about out growing the maternity clothes also, and didn't want to have to buy more so I actually bought the next size up to make sure I could wear them till the end. The shirts were pretty loose in the beginning when I started wearing them but the way they tapper its more flattering than just a larger regular clothes. It worked for me, and I was lucky and didn't gain much while pregnant (I gained all mine prior too pregnancy) and lost it quickly so I was back in my regular clothes. But the clothes I got worked until the end of the pregnancy and should be fine for this one as well. I am 11 wks and 5 days and still in regular clothes so far, figured I will be in the maternity soon enough. The main problem in the beginning is bloating.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

I agree, the nursing bras are great, they are comfortable and you will definitly need them after you have the baby, same goes for sports bras. I also bought some clothes on ebay (maternity lots), some of them were brand new. I got 3 maternity shirts still w/ tags on for $15. I got 4 other tops for $7, but they were more used then I expected but they're still good for wearing around the house and sleeping in.

Closed Thread