It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User
What do you wear in labour / hospital??

I'm just starting to think about what I need to take to hospital with me and I've come up with what's probably a really daft question. I'm too embarrased to ask my midwife such a silly question but hopefully someone here can enlighten me...

When you've actually got to hospital what do you wear whilst you are in labour?? Will I have to wear a hospital gown or do I wear my own clothes? I was assuming that I'd be most comfortable in a loose t-shirt and shorts for the first stage of labour and then I'd take off my shorts and knickers for the pushing bit.

But then people keep telling me that emersion in water is great pain relief in labour so I'm thinking I might be in the bath or birthing pool. I guess I'd be naked if I was in the bath but I feel rather self conscious at the idea of being naked in-front of strangers (doctor / midwife etc). Although perhaps by then I might not care....

Can someone please tell me what I should expect?

Thanks

Spanish

Old 06-28-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User
Re: What do you wear in labour / hospital??

I was induced so I was planned ahead. I wore my shorts and a shirt to the hospital but once you are there they will give you a gown to put on that opens in the back and tell you to take off your underwear and bra. With my DS I had a jaquzzi bath and that helped alot and I am a very VERY modest person but at that point you don't really care. This time though I brought along a sports bra so if I took another bath but I wasn't as lucky this time. Being induced they made me stay in bed the whole time. They may let you stay in a big tshirt but I'm not sure about bottoms because it's a pain to have to take your pants on and off as they check you and really as labor goes on you don't want to have to worry about that. I know what it's like to be modest and shy but really during labor you don't care who sees what lol. They normally after the baby is born and you are all cleaned up they will give you a clean gown OR you can wear your own but remember you will be bleeding heavily so you may not want to bring your best gown or you may just wear the hospitals. I know I kept the new gown on until the next day and then I put mine on. It's really what makes you most comfy! Good luck!
Brandon James 5/11/99 @ 4:48pm
Jade Elizabeth 6/7/05 @ 7:41pm

Last edited by InDueTime05; 06-28-2005 at 06:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

I'm going to bring an old t shirt, but i plan on being naked most of the time...i figure, the docs/midwives have seen it all, and i'll be most comfortable that way. no need for underwear as far as i can see - like induetime said, i'll probably be bleeding and have all kinds of yuck coming out, and who wants to fiddle with underwear when you're in labor! but i'll bring some undies for the ride home and some socks in case the a/c is too much.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

My SIL took an old t-shirt to wear but ended up stripping everything off because it was way more comfortable. Like jaybird said, the docs and midwives have seen it all before and won't bat an eyelid.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #5
BabyMomma26

Well, when I went in, my Dr and the nurses would not let me wear my own pajamas and stuff till AFTER the birth. I went in pants and a shirt and as soon as I got there, they said to change into their gown. I don't know about water tho, I never did that. But I do know after you have the baby, you can wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I know that you do bleed a lot also, so you may want to wear their gowns for a while. And undies, they give you these things that look like pantyhose, but with the legs cut out to hold this HUGE pad that they give you. You do bleed a lot, so you'll want to wear them for a while. I also brought some home cause I didn't want to mess my stuff and they hold the pads good!
Good luck!

Last edited by BabyMomma26; 06-28-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

I also brought home their undies....I also found that putting on their undies and then put mine on top it was a lot more comfy standing and sitting because you have more cushion down there for the pain. I also took Tuks pads and OMG that was wonderful. Also, ask for an ice pack!!

Old 06-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

People have told me to bring 2-3 pairs of grey/dark socks, you may be cold, but also may want to walk around w/o having to put on shoes all the time. They will get dirty throughout the labour and after, that's why you need more than 1 pair. Also if you have a favorite pillow you may want to bring it, just bring an old pillow case, it may get dirty. I know I can't go anywhere w/o my pillow.

Last edited by Kiedy; 06-28-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
(female)

Ralinda30 HB User

Like some of the other's said, most likely they will give u there gown to put on when u get there..To be honest, when I was in all that pain I could of had the whole hospital in there watching,,,,I DIDN'T CARE all I was doing was concentrating on that pain!!After the birth and I had my bath, I changed into my own clothes..

Old 06-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #9
BabyMomma26

I forgot till I read about the socks...I brought slippers, that was GREAT

Old 06-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

InDueTime05 HB User

I brought slippers too just so I could walk to the bathroom and all but when I got the epidural I got so cold and shakey so my Mom put on my socks that I brought. That was GREAT!!

Old 06-28-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
Veteran

camden HB User

I wore a standard hospital gown (why make more laundry for myself?!) with my first and no undies and no socks. My water had broken at home but by the time I got to the hospital everything I had been wearing was kind of nasty. I was having contractions so close together they were lucky I was even able to get the gown on!

With my second I also used the hospital gown as my husband had dropped MIL and I off at emergency while he parked (we figured he wasn't allowed to leave the vehicle there and I wasn't in any major pain). I had a heck of a time fitting into that darn gown as I was as big as a house and I left my socks on, unfortunately they didn't keep my feet very warm once the doctor broke my water all over them LOL.

I did take my own night shirts for the stay in the hospital after the birth as they were much more comforatable for wandering about in. You may want to consider a night shirt over PJs as the nurse my have to check you and it may be harder with pants on.

As another poster mentioned, bring plenty of socks. Slippers are also a great idea because you can slip them on and off before getting into bed. I can tell you that when I had my daughter it was spring time and when staff cuts were made the cleaning staff is the first to go, and the floors were absolutely filthy. I must have changed my socks at least three times a day!

Old 06-29-2005, 11:52 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Thanks everyone, you've all been really helpful.

I think I'll just take a big old t-shirt with me. If they give me a gown to wear then fine but if they don't (this is the NHS you know!) then I've got something that doesn't matter if it gets ruined.

Slippers and a few pairs of socks are a great idea so I'll take them as well.

Finally, having just bought some maternity pads (is it a sanitary pad or a mattress!!!) it looks like I'd better buy myself some BIG knickers to hold them in place...I don't think a thong is going to do the job! LOL!!

It's also reassuring to hear that when you are actually in labour you just don't care what other people think. I guess I'm going to be concentrating so much on giving birth to our little one that I won't have time to worry about anyone else.

Thanks again!

Spanish

Closed Thread