It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

Coryn0921 HB User
Disability & Work

Are there any moms here that work FT now, if so how long do you plan to work, In NJ Disablilty will allow you to stop working 4 weeks before your due date and stay home for 6 weeks after with a normal delivery of course, but I have also heard of people getting put out of work by there Doctor's earlier, has anyone had this happen? If so for what reason. Also how does everyone feel working FT, I currently work FT and it really does make the time go by quicker although it really takes alot out of you too. Is it just me, am I just lazy?

Old 06-28-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User
Re: Disability & Work

Well the state I am in we don't have that atleast not that I am aware of. I am on my 2 nd pregnancy and worked here for the last also. I didn't have complications so wasn't taken out early. I did choose to not go to work the 2 days prior to my sch C section last time. And my disability thru work doesn't pay the 1st week I am out, so I took 5 sick days the 1st week, and then I got my paid disability (not as much as I usually make, but better than nothing). I was hoping for 8 wks which is what I had always heard with a C section but all I got was 6 wks from the Dr, then I was back at work. I could have taken up to 12 wks and kept my job, but wouldn't have been paid the other 6, since I was able to return to work. I do work f/t and I have a 1 year old, so I do stay pretty tired, but I have a desk job so its not to bad at all, I am just lazy (but I am still in the tired stage being 11 wks 5 days). LOL Good luck!
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
(female)

Coryn0921 HB User

LOL-Thanks! I know I think the 1st and the last trimester is the worst for tiredness. I will most likely work as long as I could also as I really need the $$ and unfortunely back in february I was laid of from a job I worked at for 4 years, but since 3/1/05 I have been fortunate enough to be able to temp as and Admin making $1.50 more an hour than I was, but I was put out of work for a week when I had Sciatica & then another week due to a death in the family so I definatly can't afford to take anymore time off unpaid. The worst part about being a temp is not having sick/personal/vacation day and ofcourse for the longterm 401k, luckily I have my husbands medical and dental benefits!

Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User

Hi guys! I just have a question out of curiosity really. You guys don't have any maternity or parental leave? Pardon my ignorance, I'm from Canada and I get unemployment from 8 weeks prior to delivery, and a almost afterwards. Is it not the same thing there? It works out to 52 weeks and you can also get 15 sick leave if the doctor signs for it. Is it the same there?

Old 06-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

No Canada is much better to you guys than here in the states. I heard about the nice leave for pregnancy when I was pregnant before. I knew I should have moved then. LOL No the best we get (if your employer doesn't offer better, which I haven't heard of any) is by law the family leave act will let man or woman take a family leave, without pay of course, but by law your employer has to have a job for you when you return. But from what I understand not the same job.

I know I was tired with the first pregnancy, but I have been worse with this one since I have a 1 year old, I am now 35, and I can't just go to bed early like I did with him, although luckally my DH will take care of our DS and I will turn in early when I am having a bad day! I have been much better the last week or so, so I am hoping it will be some better for a while. But I tell you I took my DS for his 1 year old photos Friday and I could barely move the next day, I was wore out, he was all over and I had to keep catching him and putting him back. LOL

Old 06-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User

Wow! I really do feel for you guys. I had no idea it was that different. I figured they would be close to the same. As far as I know I collect unemployment for a year which works out to 55% of what I make. They don't make you pay much for taxes so I'll get dinged next year. My job has to hold my job open for that year. As far as I know it doesn't have to be the same job but it has to be equivelent, no cut in pay or seniority.

And thank goodness for health care! You guys have it so much harder, I had no idea!

Old 06-28-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
I know I think the 1st and the last trimester is the worst for tiredness.
This is my first and I'm 19wks. I think the tiredness has lifted a bit, but along came the sore, swollen feet, which kills me at my cashier job.

Quote:
And thank goodness for health care! You guys have it so much harder, I had no idea!
I'm an American who is a permanent resident in Canada. Personally, I think both healthcares have their perks, but it is wonderful having a full year of maternity leave. However, I am not happy about a few things regarding giving birth in Canada. There is no guarantee that you will have your doctor, let alone a doctor you are familiar with deliver your child. That scares me here. I don't want someone I don't know delivering my baby if they don't have the same views as I do. Its my understanding that whoever is on call, or working in the hospital that day, will be delivering your child.

Last edited by roxyfoxy; 06-28-2005 at 01:24 PM.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Celestine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyfoxy
There is no guarantee that you will have your doctor, let alone a doctor you are familiar with deliver your child. That scares me here. I don't want someone I don't know delivering my baby if they don't have the same views as I do. Its my understanding that whoever is on call, or working in the hospital that day, will be delivering your child.
Hmmm... I think it depends on where you are from. With my first baby my doctor was the one who delivered or rather he assisted the surgeon since it ended up being a caesarian. This one will be a little different. He no longer does the prenatal stuff, they have a clinic here that does so it's one of 4 doctors that handle things. I'm from a small city so that might help.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

That may be, I am living in Kitchener, quite a large city and only one hospital with a maternity ward. I was told this by both my doctor and other women who have had babies in the area. It really stinks because I spend the whole 9mos getting acquainted with my doc, and I trust her. To know she may not deliver my baby really stinks. Unless of course I have a scheduled c-section, which I don't plan on having.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

Does anybody know the Disabilitiy laws in New York? I know that i am entitled to 6 weeks (8 for cesaerian) but i heard that the amount you get is peanuts. Not even $150.00 per week.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:32 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl224
Does anybody know the Disabilitiy laws in New York? I know that i am entitled to 6 weeks (8 for cesaerian) but i heard that the amount you get is peanuts. Not even $150.00 per week.
I don't know about New York disability laws. But I thought cesaerian got 8 wks too, but I had one last June and still got only the 6 wks out.

Last edited by Kaleb's Mom 04; 06-29-2005 at 07:33 AM.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
(female)

wyliemom HB User

I live in Texas and the employer doesnt have to offer maternity leave at all. And my employer just happens to not offer it too. I have worked in other offices and they did offer it, just not where I am at now. I work full time and I have a 7 and 5 yr old daughters. I do stay tired ecspecially now at 25 weeks, but it does make the time go by faster. I really would like to be off 8 weeks after delivery but I will only be off 6 weeks. I plan on working until the day before my scheduled c-section which is on Sept 30th so far. It worked out well b/c Im saving all my sick days and my vacation for my 6 weeks and Ill only not be paid for two.

Closed Thread