It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User
Unhappy Amnio Tomorrow...

*sigh* just when i thought things were getting better...a few weeks ago my triple screen came back unusually high (1:47 when it should be 1:1400 according to my age)...had an u/s which showed i was not 17 weeks but 15 weeks. I took another triple screen and while on vacation called the dr's office and they said things were ok. test came out fine. well, came back from vacation and went for a routine dr visit...my dr is still perplexed about my pregnancy...first off, i gained 5 lbs since my last visit a month ago...second, my blood pressure was HIGH (150/70) so they made me lie on my side and the blood pressure came back normal (110/50)...then the dr kept asking me if i was positive on my last period. i am very sure because iwrote it down my calendar. in actuality, my second triple screen came back 1:800...which is a mild chance and normally they don't do amnio for that...but because of my first triple screen he is concerned and suggested amnio if i really wanted to know. This pregnancy has been so much stress...i really really want to know. i'm so confused! I have always wanted to start a family of my own but the road has been such a bumpy road!

has anyone had amnio done? what was it like? pain? worried about miscarriage? my head is spinning with worries and questions...

Old 06-29-2005, 12:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User
Re: Amnio Tomorrow...

I had mine done at 21 wks, now I'm 35. I feel for you when it comes to stress, b/c my dates were off as well. At 18 wks, it showed I was 18.3, which was good, and then I got the triple screen test back, so I decided on the amnio. The day of the amnio they did the US again which rather than showing I was 19wks, showed I was almost 21. No one knew what to do exactly, and kept arguing over which center's US was more accurate and in the end the decision was dumped on me. Where I live, you can only terminate pregnancy upto 23 wks, and I took 2 days off for the test and travelled 5hrs to have the test done, so as you can imagine I was really stressed by the added confusion. I decided to have the test done that day, b/c I just had to know and was really ****** at the lack of competance and coordination by all who were involved.
I did lots of reading on the procedure involved, and everywhere I read, it said that it was painless. So I'm not going to say that it was painful, but it was not painless. Best comparison would be like getting your ears peirced. They say it doesn't really hurt but for that split second it actually does. That's the pain I would say you should expect. So it's not tragic. They told me of many possible complications to expect, so I'm sure they'll go over that in detail w/ you as well. The only thing that I experienced was pretty sore side and back at the level of injection. But it wasn't bad enough that I had to take any pain killers and it was gone the next day. Misscarrage is one of the risks that they list, but it is very low (and if you're fine after a week, you'll be fine). The whole procedure probobly took 3 min from start to finish (1-2 min to find a good spot away from the baby to take sample, 30 sec to collect the fluid, that's it).
Eventhough waiting for the results was pretty stressful as well, I felt much better after the procedure was done, b/c then all I could do was to wait. And after I heard the good news I could enjoy my pregnancy more. So try not to think about it too much, just focus on going, getting it done and going home to get rest. After that everything is out of your hands, let us know how you did, we're here for you, you're not alone.

Last edited by Kiedy; 06-29-2005 at 12:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 04:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I had an amnio done at 17 weeks. I had no troubles. You can go to my name and do a search of previous posts, and you'll find amnio info there. I thought it went quick, I felt it was painless, and I was not concerened about miscarriage. I talked with/asked Q's to my doctor about the risks beforehand, and they are very small. I'm glad I got mine done, and would do it again.
Gayle

Old 06-29-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

asako, sorry to hear you are going through all this uncertainty with your Dr. I am 35 and its my choice. I am not going to have the AFP test cause I know due to my age it will kick out problems anyway. I was against the amnio at first but the more I read on it, it seemed to not be as bad as I antisipated, especially if you read Gayle previous post on it. So since it was up to me whether I have it or not, and after discussing my DH. We decided to have it. I am scheduled for July 28th when I will be 16wks. I am starting to get cold feet now, but not bad. I will be praying for you, please let us know how it goes for you.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Old 06-29-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

well, off to do the amnio in an hour and a half...i think the worst part of it all will be the waiting for the results. this is sooo weird because i'm so young and it doesn't run in either of our families....i'll keep ya posted...thanks for sharing your experiences...

Closed Thread