It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #1

simonsmom HB User
Hard time quitting smoking

I am a few months pregnant and i really am having a hard time quitting smoking. I know how terrible it is for the baby. Are there any woman out there who were smokers and how did you quit? Are there any of you that are still smoking or smoked during a pregancny and what was the outcome?

Old 06-29-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
BabyMomma26

Re: Hard time quitting smoking

I used to smoke, and with all my kids, as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I quit cold turkey! I started again after I had them, but NEVER smoked in frount of them. I would go outside then com in and wash up and brush my teeth. Then I asked myself why Im doing this for a habbit that can kill me and is not cheap and quit on my own, again cold turkey, before I got pregnant with this one!
You can do it! Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
(female)

angelbc HB User

I am 22 weeks pregnant and I smoke still on occassion. I did quit when I found out (5 weeks) and the something would happen where I would get really stressed out and end up again smoking. I did talk with my doctor and she said that she is only asking me to cut back and that will probably good enough. I still smoke here and there but its only mabey like 2 cigarettes a week if that just whenever I need to releive some stress, for some reason it helps me with that. But I have heard both good and bad stories about smoking while you are pregnant. I know it is extremely hard but just ask yourself is it really worth it. Oh and I find myself constantly eating now that I don't smoke which irritates me but what can ya do.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

FIrst things first, don't beat yourself up too much and certainly don't listen to anyone who criticizes you!
That being said, let me share my anguish with you. I am 28 weeks pregnant with twins and only quit smoking about a month ago. I cut WAY back (1 pack a day down to 3) for the majority of my pregnancy. My doctor said that was fine, but to really try and quit completely by the third trimester as this is when the baby puts on the most of it's weight and it's lungs form completely. Otherwise, smoking a few a day is not really going to hurt anything.
Depending on your situation, you may have a lot of other pressures going on and quitting smoking is going to add a huge amount of stress, this isn't good either. Oh and by the way, babies do not get addicted to nicotine.
I have found that Committ losenges, {removed}and giving in to the occasional "smoke or kill someone" craving has been super helpful and once the baby is here, I will not smoke again simply becuase when my child comes to me one day and has cigarettes I don't want to be a hipocrite and tell them not to.
At the end of the day it's your decision, it's your body and your baby.
I wish you the best of luck, and try not to stress too much.

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 06-29-2005 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Do not mention other chat/message boards on this board. Thank you!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
(female)

lilmik HB User

I smoked a pack a day for 10 years and quit cold turkey as soon as I found out. Sure it's hard but if you think about it you're hurting your child. Would you blow smoke in your newborns face?
I just thought of how it could hurt my baby and am giving my child a choice. If you really want to quit you will.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

im1here HB User

If it really bothers you, I would continue your quittng endeavors...I have headr that the nicotine patches and gums are okay to use (MUCH safter than the 200+ chemical in cigarretes), but ask your OB first. If anything, cutting back would be better than not changing a thing at all. I wish you much luck...I know it's hard...I've been there.

Jenn

Old 06-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I smoked about a half a pack a day for about 10 years. When I found out I was pregnant, I took my last full pack and decided it would be my last pack. I milked that pack for all it was worth. I cut back to about 3 cigs a day & after about 4 days of doing that, realized I was just fooling around. If I was gonna quit, I needed to just quit instead of teasing myself a few times a day. I smoked the rest of the pack that day and declared myself done.

About 2 days later, my m/s kicked in really hard. Cigarette smoke became so disgusting to me overnight...I would gag and heave at the smell & sight of it. I was fortunate it happenned to me that way, but you just have to decide you are done & stick to it. Cigarettes are a very addictive drug. Not sure how easy or difficult quitting would have gone for me if my body/the baby hadn't rejected it for me.

Now, watching my husband smoke, and the way he smells after he smokes disgusts me. I often wonder how the baby will react to how he smells. That thought will keep me from starting again. I already know if I smoke 1 cigarette after the baby's here, I will go right back to smoking. I'm come too far to go backwards.

Good luck. I have several friends who smoked somewhat throughout their pregnancies and their babies are fine.
Gayle

Old 06-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

i too used to smoke. the day i took the hpt i still smoked but the next day, quit cold turkey. At first i was tempted to keep smoking but thought that my baby's health was more important than a craving for nicotine. now, i'm 18 weeks and can't stand the smell of cigarettes. i mean it abhores me! i went on a trip with my family and they all smoke...ugh i was so grossed out. can't stand the smell! hopefully this will help me quit forever as i have no intention of smoking again...good luck...don't give up trying to quit...think of your baby's health now rather than living with the woulda shoulda couldas later....

Old 06-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #9

busybee HB User

I was a die hard smoker for 12 or more years and I knew that I would have to prove to myself I could quit before getting pregnant. In fact, my husband demanded that. I used a combination of things- b/c I was a hard core smoker. First thing I did each morning and the last thing I did each evening. Anyway....I set a date and then as it got closer I bought patches, went on Zyban and at the last minute I saw an ad for stop smoking hypnosis and thought what the hell? It worked! I smoked a cigarette that night and the next morning but then quit. I truely believe the hypnosis helped. I was ready to quit so I was not going into it looking for an easy cure. I knew it would take several strategies to make me quit and believe me I am one of those people that you can say...if she quit ANYBODY can! Talk to your doctor and look into hypnosis- b/c I really think it helped. I also started runnig a little bit each day to help with the weight and stress. Never thought I could run a lap let alone a mile and I was running 3 miles a day when I got pregnant a year later! Again...this is not typical for me- but it's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it and expect positive results.

GOOD LUCK~

Last edited by busybee; 06-29-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

MissChicopea HB User

I'd like to echo lilmik's sentiments. I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant. The reason I did so was because I simply had to. I didn't make it an option in my mind. There are a lot of sacrafices that we as parents are going to have to make for our children. To me, this is just another one of those. I wouldn't blow smoke in my baby's face and, to me, that is what I felt like I was doing essentially if I continued.

I would push my child out of the way of a moving vehicle at the risk of my own life, so I surely could stop smoking for my child and it actually affects me positively too!

However, I know that not everyone can quit cold turkey. I'm simply sharing my own mental pep talks that helped me to quit and stay away from it. I do get cravings once in awhile. But those have more to do with circumstance than actual cravings I think. I can get past those and you can too!

Old 06-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
(female)

wyliemom HB User

I am not a smoker, but my mom was when she was preg with me. I was born prematurely and the Dr.s told her it was because of her smoking. But Im not so sure that is correct, as I see other women who smoke during preg and the baby is/was fine. But that is a chance you take when you choose to continue smoking. Im sure it is hard to stop, but you can do it. We all have faith in you. At least cut way back if stopping isnt something you can do yet. Good luck!!

Old 06-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Hypnotic HB User

i quit too also. when i found out, smoked my last pack and i was done. i have slight asthma and so does boyfriend so i figured my best bet would be to stop chances are baby might have it too.
my gf smoked her whole pregnancy and the baby came out 7 pds and healthy as anything.
i think its better to think of what could happen compared to what might happen. good luck to you!!!

Old 06-29-2005, 05:15 PM   #13
(female)

emilyallison HB User

I would think twice about smoking and quit cold turkey. My friends son (who is now 17) was born prematurely and severly underweight. His lungs had problems also. All his life he has been below average in school and has learning disablilities. Her second child, who she did not smoke at all with, is perfect. The only thing "bad" that she did with her son was smoke a few cigs a day and her son is still paying for it. I know that doesnt happen in all circumstances, but unfortunatly it happened to her. Im not meaning too sound harsh or scare you, but you should know that it DOES cause serious damage to some babies. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I smoked like a chimney before getting pregnant, then I cut back. I've quit for a few days then smoked again, but moderately. My doc said the best thing I could do is quit if I could, if not then smoke as minimal as possible to protect the baby. My mom smoked when she was pregnant with all 4 of us, and we don't have asthma, allergies, and were over 7lbs each. I want to quit, but I am a high stressed, anxious person. I quit taking paxil when I found out I was pregnant, so this quitting smoking thing is really biting at my nerves. Not only are these causing a problem, but I was also an alcoholic when I found out I was pg, I quit that as well, IMMEDIATELY! I am extremely proud of that and believe pregnancy saved me from it as I couldn't bare to put my child through that danger. We all know smoking and drinking is bad during pregnancy, but the alcohol is far more proven to cause horrible effects if continued during pregnancy. I want to quit smoking, but then I get really upset and stressed and reach for a cigarrette. I still am trying though because I feel that "children see, children do." Which is why I am smoking, I believe. So, I will keep trying and trying until I quit.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:56 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Unfortunately, I didn't have any morning sickness. I know, I know, most would say I'm lucky, but I wish I had it to help with the smoking.

Closed Thread