It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Did not hear heartbeat - 13 weeks

I went for my monthly today and my Dr's nurse tried to locate the heartbeat (I'm 13 weeks exactly) via doppler and she could not find it. She looked for about a minute - 2 minutes max and said she'd let the Dr. find it. She did say she knew it was in there 'cause she could hear the placenta!? My Dr. didn't think it was necessary to search any further because he says it's not uncommon at all to not hear the heartbeat until 14-15 weeks. He also said my uterus was measuring 12-13 weeks. However, after talking to some people and checking around the boards, now I'm a little scared. I know I should trust my Dr (and I do for the peace of mind alone), but shouldn't he have at least *tried* to find a heartbeat? My next appointment isn't for another month and I think it's kind of rude that he wants me to wait that long for reassurance. Do you think I'm overreacting? Did anyone else not hear the heartbeat until later?
I did just order a home doppler so hopefully I can get better results. Say a prayer, please.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

monim361 HB User
Re: Did not hear heartbeat - 13 weeks

At my 13 week appt. My dr. could not locate a heartbeat. He said it was normal not to be able hear one at the time. I didnt hear heartbeat until my second appt which was about 17 weeks. I would have asked him to at least try to find one though.
monica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I do think he should have tried, but I wouldn't get overly scared about it. I did get to hear mine at 11 weeks, and it took a LOT of work for the doctor to find it...it took him about 5 minutes before he found it just for a few seconds. My doctor said they normally don't attempt to find the heartbeat until at least 12 weeks...and it might take a few extra weeks for it to show up. I think you'll be really surprised at your next visit how easily they'll be able to find it.

You probably won't have much luck with a home doppler until the baby is a lot bigger (say in the early week 20's or so) unless you bought a hospital grade doppler. They just aren't powerful enough.

By the time you'd be able to hear the heartbeat at home, you'll probably have heard the heartbeat at the Dr's office a couple times, have seen your baby in a sonogram, and maybe even know the gender. Not trying to steer you off the home doppler, I'm just saying if you're going to rely on it for assurance now, you may be disappointed. Good luck to you. Don't stress over it.
Gayle

Old 06-29-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! I have a friend who has four children and they can never find a heartbeat until *at least* 14wks. I do think it's rude though that he didn't at least try.

I agree about the home dopplers, they're typically no better than a fetoscope and can't usually pick anything up until quite late. I used one at 38wks once (a friend's) and couldn't find the heartbeat!

Unless it uses sound waves rather than just amplification then it's not really a doppler but an amplified stethoscope.

If you're still concerned call your dr and tell him you really need to have him at least try so that you'll feel better.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 06-30-2005, 03:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Thank you all for your respones - they make me feel *so* much better!
I rented my fetal doppler online, so I'm pretty sure it's a professional grade home doppler. It was recommended to me by a friend.
I plan on finding a new Dr. It's just so difficult because I don't know anyone where I live and this guy has been recommended to me by two people. This is not the first appointment I've left almost in tears. I became pregnant directly after a miscarriage and from the get-go he's had me freaked out that my last pregnancy may have been a molar and my new pregnancy was false. Then my HCG numbers were high, so he thought this may be a molar pregnancy, but then we saw the heartbeat on u/s @ 6 weeks so he thought it might be a partial molar. I've was told @ 9 weeks following an u/s that everything is fine, but I've been on pins and needles so long that I just want some reassurance.

Again... I really appreciate your responses! Thank you.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User
Exclamation Re: Did not hear heartbeat - 13 weeks

Zekat you are hanging in there strong! Sometimes I wish I didn't know how to research the internet and find out information!!! Goodness are there any tests they can do now to see if you have a molar pregnancy?

I joked with my dr. that I wish I didn't know I was pregnant until about 10 weeks... he said I hear ya! He thinks everything is going to be OK with me - but he said there could be reason for concern too. So we are TRYING to be optimistic at this point! He said if everything is going to be OK finding out I am pregnant this early will make me feel like I was pregnant FOREVER! He is very laid back and into sports which I like - I think you really need to find a dr. that you click with. I got lucky cause I am new to this area and I just found him online. I look at where they went to school ya da ya da...

Have you tried a female ob? I have a male but maybe sometimes females can be more sympathic?

I had u/s on tues which showed empty sac etc. they figured I was very very early like 5 weeks ( i had pain that is why they did the u/s) no spotting... and now the ob thinks I am 3 weeks along.... so now I did blood work on wed. and go back for more blood work on friday and then u/s on July 11.

xxoo hugs and kisses to you - please keep me posted !! we will get thru this!!!

Old 06-30-2005, 05:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

My Dr.s office doesn't even try that soon, I think I was 16 wks the first time they tried the doppler with my 1st pregnancy. My Dr's wait so as to not alarm you if they can't find, they wait for it to be easier to find. Try not to worry.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Old 06-30-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

You are not overeacting at all. He SHOULD have tried to find the h/b for your sake. That is very unfair to you. Just so you know I went at 12 weeks to hear the h/b and it took a good few minutes for her to find it. She said she could hear it but wanted us to hear it too. It took her a little while. I would find a new DR if I were you, someone that won't have you leaving so uncomfortable. Good Luck. I am sure everything is fine, they wouldn't let you leave if they truly thought something wasn't right.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I heard the heartbeat at 9wks at home, then 12 with the doctor. I read in my pregnancy book a molar pregnancy is located on ultrasound quite early and it looks like the picture has a foggy appearance. I also heard that some heartbeats cannot be found at 12 weeks, so you are not unusual.

However, I believe if you are at all uncomfortable with your doc, its time to start searching. If you are uncomfortable now, wait until you go into labor.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
(female)

basstracker1970 HB User

Hello, My doctor couldnt find a heartbeat at 13 weeks also. He did a ultra sound so he could find it and there it was! He said this is very common.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 PM   #11

caedmyn HB User

I have read that if they can hear placenta (cord blood) sounds the baby is fine, so that may be why the doctor was not concerned. I heard the heartbeat at 11w1d but I am very skinny and I have heard that the bigger you are, the more difficult it is for them to find a heartbeat.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

my ob told me that at the next appointment that he will look for the fetal heartbeat and if he cannot find it he will do an ultrasound that same day, I say find a new doc, I was only 7 weeks at the last appt.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Well, the doppler I rented came in and my DH & I found the heartbeat in about 3 minutes! I was very relieved and feel much, much better! I have also started looking for a new doctor. I called around to 3 of the hospitals in my area (Atlanta/Marietta) yesterday and am going to do Maternity Tours so that way I can decide what hospital I want to deliver at. Then I'll start looking for doctors associated with that particular hospital. I probably should have done this to start with, but I just went with the first referral I got since I was kind of new to the area.

I appreciate all of your responses - thank you sooo much!

Old 07-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

im1here HB User

I'm so glad to hear that everything turnedout well...I had a few things to say that would have helped you feel better...but nevermind!!! Good luck to you!

Jenn

Old 07-01-2005, 10:35 AM   #15
(female)

suziro HB User

Try not to worry, I am 28 weeks preg with my 3rd child and the midwife didn't hear the babies heartbeat either. When I went for my dating scan I was actually a week off in my thinking which meant I was only 12 weeks when the midwife was trying to find it and she said its quite rare to hear it that early. I saw it on the ultrasound and heard it about 18 weeks. I know its hard but try and be patient, I am sure things will be fine.

Closed Thread