It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User
pregnancy diet

Hi, I just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant a few weeks ago and I was just wondering what exact kind of diet I should be on. I'm 5' 1" tall and about 116 pounds (prior to pregnancy) so I was already a normal healthy weight I think but I've never dieted or watched what I ate in my life, until now I am taking it very seriously and this diet thing and what to eat and what not to eat confuses the heck out of me. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right. This is my first (unexpected) pregnancy and lately all I've been doing is cutting back on sugar, and caffeine...no pop, no coffee, but it's so hard since my diet had always been so bad. My mom told me she drank coffee and soda throughout both her pregnancies and my sister and I turned out fine, but I'm just afraid of gaining too much weight and not being able to lose it even thou everyone on both sides of my family are very petite. So if anyone has any advice on a healthy pregnancy it would help me out a lot. I won't be seeing the doctor until next week so that's why I was wondering now. Thanks

Old 06-30-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FirstTimeMomma HB User
Re: pregnancy diet

You are correct in limiting your caffiene and sugar intake. You also want to watch your sodium intake especially in the warm summer months because this can cause water retention and swelling. I was just at the doctor on Tuesday and he said watching sodium can be as simple as eating more homemade foods and less jar or canned things which are loaded with salt. Your doctor will more than likely tell you to take a prenatal vitamin. Basically you want to ensure that the baby is getting the nutrients that it needs so that it can develop properly. Well balanced meals are key and in talking to people and reading the best thing you can do is eat many smaller meals/snacks throughout the day rather than 3 large meals. There are many great sites and books that give recipes and advice on snacks that are healthy and taste good. My Doctor also told me the key is to eat like a new baby eats. Never be too full or too empty just keep it consistent...I love junk food but instead of eating a candy bar, now I reach for a granola bar. Don't get me wrong though, eating some of the junk is ok too especially when those cravings kick in! lol!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sumi HB User

Hello and congrats on your pregnancy!
I was very worried about what to eat and what to avoid too. The first thing to remember is that everyone is different and bodies react differently especially to pregnancy. You should make sure you take prenatal vitamins, start those right away. Also calcium is crucial. As far as protein goes a pregnant woman needs to consume 60g of protein versus 30g when not expecting so if you count your protein intake that will help you. In the first trimester I remember not wanting any veggies or salad and because I was so health conscious before I got worried. But my doctor told me not to worry and to listen to my body. Well, after the nausea started the only thing I could eat was toast and white rice, I also had the runs badly. Carbs were my thing, no sweet stuff, just carbs!
Listen to your body and don't get too stressed out about weight gain, it will all be worth it!

Old 06-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Congratualtions. Your story sounds similar to mine when I found out I was pregnant. You sound pretty overwhelmed by so many things like I was.

You should get yourself a book on pregnancy either at the library, or go buy one. Most all the books talk in detail about food...probably more detail than you'll want, and more info than anyone can give you on this board. That will put you in a good direction.

Also, I would recommend while you are reading the more serious pregnancy books & info...take some time to also read humorous things about pregnancy (Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy or Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy are the 2 I loved). I got so caught up in the seriousness of it all & worried about so many things...it was good to get the lighter side of the stories.

I switched to decaf coffee and have been drinking that every single day of my pregnancy. I drank a LOT of pop early on because any other liquid in my mouth including water made me heave. It's not the best choice, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Don't get too obsessed with wanting to do everything just right and have the perfect diet. I wish someone would have told me that early on. You will eat so many things from now until it's over that are considered "bad" or "dangerouts" by books or people, that if you followed every bit of information word for word, you will have theoretically killed your baby at least 89 times over before it's born.

Also, I'd recommend you start reading about pregnancy in general and have questions ready for your doctor because when you start telling people, they will have so much unsolicited advice, horror stories, and wives tales for you...it will scare the h*** out of you. Just always remember, you are already under the care of a physician...listen to him or her first and foremost. Don't freak out about things (especially foods) until you've had the opportunity to double check information with your doctor.

Those are my thoughts.
Gayle

Last edited by Gayle0000; 06-30-2005 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typos

Old 06-30-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I am so with you on the diet thing. I have already called the DR like 10 times, and I just found out that I am only 4 weeks pregnant. Boy, does he have a long road ahead of him.

Luckily for me right now ,I don't have any nasuea or sickness..yet. *knock on wood*. I am trying to eat all the fruits/veggies/salads/lean fish that I can because if the nasuea does set in..then I am probably going to card bing as well!

Closed Thread