It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User
The right time for buying baby stuff?

I am sure I m not the only woman ready to dump start the decorating, but I was wondering when is a better time to start? Right now Im 9 weeks and my mate and I were thinking about starting the decorating in september. I will be around 20 weeks by then. I know some people say it is bad luck to start decorating and buying things for the baby for the 3rd trimester, but when do most people start?

Old 06-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User
Re: The right time for buying baby stuff?

Are you going to find out the gender?? That will surely play a huge part in the decor if you are finding out. You'd be finding out the gender around Week 20, give or take a week or 2 either way. That would fall into your plans for September anyway.

I think the bad luck thing is a personal decision.

I was way too sick with m/s in the 1st trimester to be able to work on the room. Didn't have the energy or motivation to even care at that point.

I had sciatica in the 2nd trimester & my back prevented me from doing very much. Seeing that my body doesn't embrace pregnancy, I knew I had to suck it up and get the work done because I was afraid I'd get even more useless later on.

I'm in Week 29 (7th month) and just got done with the major stuff about a week ago. Right now, I'm VERY glad it's done aside from little details with the decor items. There has already been 1 surprise shower for me and I filled our dining room table with the gifts. They sat there for 2 weeks in piles...completely stressing me out every time I looked at them. I'm thankful the room is in a state where they are put away now and I can continue organizing & getting familiar with the new stuff.

In hindsight, I think the 2nd trimester is a good timeframe. You've had time to see sonograms and emotionally bond with the baby a little by then.

You've had time to daydream & brainstorm about what your baby's room will be like...and you've had time to change your mind about it several times & come up with new ideas. If you & husband/partner are anything like us...we didn't discuss the baby's room...we were in tough negotiations that lasted several weeks.

You've had time to talk to family & friends about baby stuff. You'll get a feel for any items (especially bigger-ticket items) any family may want to buy for you or let you have/borrow.

And, getting it done as the 3rd Trimester hits is a huge relief.

Those are my thoughts. Take them for what they're worth.
Gayle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Hmm, well I'm 19wks and I haven't started shopping or decorating yet. My family did throw me a surprise baby shower, so I do have tons of stuff already. I definetly wouldn't start until the 2nd trimester, september, for you, sounds okay. But, I am a first time mom and new at this as well.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

I will find out the sex of the baby.My mate and I have already started talking about plans for the babies room. we have a few ideas.. 1) doing a farm animal theme, 2) a sky, 3) carebears. So far we have decided on a far manimal theme, works well for both sexes. Right now there is a
co-op student in the room so we have to wait untill at least the end of augest before we can do anything with the room. my mate is excitied about decorating the room as well. What are good places for buying baby furniture? I have looked at babiesrus, sears, walmart, zellars and such... I don't know anyone who I could borrow or buy any furniture from. I also know the chances of someone buying the larger things for me, would be greatly unlikely.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
BabyMomma26

I heard the same thing, its bad luck before 7 months. I wont shop before then, well ok, I lie, maybe toys...ok NEVER MIND!!! I wana go shopping now!

Old 06-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

well, I thought about buying things generic like plain hite undershirts and say bottles and little things.. but not the big things untill later. At least if say somthign does happen you can give away that stuff and it is nto soo expensive.. furniture is harder.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Don't rush into anything. Thinking about decorating has been the last thing on my mind. Especially earlier on I had so many other things to contemplate, I didn't even consider the baby room/accessories. You're only 9wks, so relax and enjoy the pregnancy a bit. Remember, if you are anything like most women, morning sickness may be creeping up on you, so decorating will be on the back burner and "Oh hail the porcelain God" will be all you think about.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

My morning sicness started at 5 weeks.. lol I was in the hospital last week for it,, I have spent alot of time by the toilet. I am for sure not doing anything major untill september, just small things here of there.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

Yeah, no need to start too early...but don't leave it too late either. I'm just about 37 weeks and have been out doing a load of shopping today and I am completely exhausted. My feet and ankles are way too swollen to be trudging around the shops, lugging loads of bags, and dodging market researchers and I really wish I'd finished it off a bit earlier!

After today's effort I really think we now have everything we need for this baby. Anything I've forgotten I think I'll try to get on the internet, I don't think I can face the shops again.....

Spanish

Old 06-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #10
(female)

OctoberMom2be HB User

Me and my hunny waited til we were about 23 weeks along before shopping

~Teresa~
Chris Jr due 10/03

Old 06-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

i started shopping after about 12 wks...not real heavy, just if i saw something i really liked i bought it--basically stuff you NEED...like a stroller and carseat...after that, clothes has just been here and there. it's gonna be even easier now that i found out the sex of my baby!

Old 06-30-2005, 03:28 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

First time moms don't really know what to buy does anyone know of a website that has guidlines,, i.e.clothing, bottles, stuff like. I have no idea of how much of anything Im suppose to get.

Closed Thread