It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User
Question after amnio

has anyone had an amnio? i just had one yesterday...i'm not sure if i'm feeling cramps or body aches from this cold i just picked up (yuck! i hate being sick...i'm miserable!) the only thing the nurse told me to watch for was bleeding. if i'm leaking amniotic fluid, what does it look/feel like?

Old 06-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: after amnio

Oh, poor thing! I hear they hurt really badly! Anyway, I hope you feel better, and just so you know, the menstrual cramping is normal. Since the needle protruded the utering lining, the uterus reacts. An Advil should be safe if there's heavy cramping. As far as amniotic fluid goes, it should be clear to signal a healthy baby. Towards the end of pregnancy, when the amniotic sac is broken during labor, if the fluid isn't clear but instead contains meconium, this could signal a problem for the baby's lungs if they inhale the fecal matter. I wouldn't really worry TOO much about some leaking if the doctor said it was normal, but if you feel a big gush of water, this could mean premature labor, and possibly an amniocentesis-induced miscarriage (the latter is usually the case with bleeding). Just keep aware of your symptoms, and if anything major comes up, talk to your doctor. Better safe than sorry. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I've been hoping you'd tell us when you got it done. How did you think it went now that it's over? Not nearly as bad as the anticipation & horror stories lead you to believe? Did you get numbed, or did you just go for it?

My doctors (I had 2 docs working on mine) told me if there were any complications, I'd know it within 24 hours. Sounds like you're in the clear.

Amniotic fluid is clear. Did they tell you to watch for amniotic fluid?? The above post mentions meconium...that's not even an issue with you...you're less than 20 weeks as I recall...right? The baby isn't developed far enough yet for that to be an issue.

They told me I should call the doc ASAP if I had severe cramping to where I could say I felt actual pain, or saw blood coming out of my vagina. Nothing about amniotic fluid.

I would ABSOLUTELY NOT take any pain relivers as the above poster mentioned. You want to be able to feel what your uterus is doing in the event it is cramping in a way which would lead you to belive there is a problem from the amnio. You do NOT want to mask anything or relax the uterus. Let it (the uterus) do what it needs to do naturally!!!!!

Sounds like if you had it done yesterday, you are probably getting the body aches from the cold you say you're getting.

I'm sure you're glad it's over. Don't stress during the wait time for lab results.
Gayle

Old 06-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

ugh...the amnio was uncomfortable and in my opinion, slightly painful. i had cramps for a while after...had to walk really slow! the nurse just said to watch for bleeding. I think i'm just paranoid. i just don't want to miscarry or have complications. i am sooo glad it's over and will be even happier when i get the results...

thanks gayle!

Old 06-30-2005, 07:02 PM   #5

busybee HB User

I wanted to post and say that although the earlier post suggested Advil...I've read to NEVER take Advil/Ibuprofin only Tylenol/Accetomenophin. I just wanted to add that.

Old 06-30-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Hey Asako,

Sorry to hear you are uncomfortable. If you are not bleeding, you are probably ok. If you are in the U.S. and are nervous, I would call the doc. tomorrow (Friday July 1) before the long weekend. It sounds like you might just be sick but hey, the doc is there to answer your questions.

Good luck.

get some rest.

-Jen

Old 07-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Sorry!

Asako- I'm sorry about the whole Tylenol/Advil mix-up. I picked Advil because acetiminophen usually has worse side effects. I hope you're doing okay, and I apologize again. I was obsessing over that, and hoping that you didn't take Advil- this was my OCD in overdrive! LOL! I'd appreciate if you could respond and ease my fears, so I know that both you and the baby are doing fine. Good luck, God bless, and my sincerest apologies!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User
Re: Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
Asako- I'm sorry about the whole Tylenol/Advil mix-up. I picked Advil because acetiminophen usually has worse side effects. I hope you're doing okay, and I apologize again. I was obsessing over that, and hoping that you didn't take Advil- this was my OCD in overdrive! LOL! I'd appreciate if you could respond and ease my fears, so I know that both you and the baby are doing fine. Good luck, God bless, and my sincerest apologies!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

haha it's ok. i didn't take anything at all so no need to worry! thanks for being so concerned though!

Old 07-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, I'm glad to hear it! Thanks for responding so promptly! Glad to know you're both fine! God bless!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread