It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User
High Blood Pressure

the last couple of times my blood pressure was taken, it was on the high side...the nurse at my regular physician's office used to work in an obgyn office and told me that it's common in pregnant women--keep my feet elevated and lie on my left side as much as possible...i'm worried because if it is always high, will i end up on bed rest or something?

Old 06-30-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure

How far along are you? If you're fairly late in your pregnancy, especially the third trimester, high blood pressure could be serious. It's the number one factor that determines preeclampsia (pregnancy-induced hypertension), which is a potentially life-threatening condition. Ask your doctor to check for proteinuria (protein in the urine), another symptom of preeclampsia. However, high blood pressure is serious at any time, not only during pregnancy, because it greatly increases the chances of heart attack and stroke. What was your BP, by the way? If it was pure hypertension (140/90), definitely try to rest as much as possible. The advice about the legs is essential, because it helps prevent thromboli and emboli (blood clots that travel and block arteries), and as the legs have to move their deoxygenated blood against gravity back to the heart, they are the most common spots for blood clots during extended bed rest. Above all, try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, avoid excess salt, and exercise according to your doctor's restrictions and advice. Good luck, God bless, and feel better!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

well, today it was 140/70...which is high for me. i'm 18 weeks...prior to being pregnant, my blood pressure was always around 110/40 (not so sure about the bottom # but it was always in the safe area)...if i lie down on my left side my blood pressure drops back to what it used to be pre pregnancy...so far, they just told me to watch my salts, stay away from caffeine, and report any reoccuring headaches that may come...just worried...

Old 06-30-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Asako,

Was the above advice from your ob/gyn or your regular doctor? If it was your regular doc, then I would call the ob/gyn to let them know so they can decide whether or not you need a blood/urine test to check for preeclampsia.

-Jen

Old 06-30-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

my obgyn knows about the high blood pressure. it was first detected on tuesday...they then made me lie on my left side for a few minutes and it came down. today at my regular doctor, it was slightly high and asked for some advice from the nurse (who used to work in the ob's office) as well as my dr...

Old 07-01-2005, 04:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I haven't had problems with this, but my doctor told me early on that if blood pressure comes high on a regular visit, they won't get too worried about it unless it recurrs over a few visits (sounds like yours is recurring). Same thing with sugars & protiens in the urine...because there are so many things that can alter these results from one moment to the next.

If you're getting repeat high results, they are probably on alert. I think they start treating the issue by working with you on your diet.
Gayle

Closed Thread