It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 06:33 AM   #1

pyncheone HB User
Pregnancy Insurance?

Hello all, I have a question about insurance. I took a test last night that was positive for pregnancy. My husband and I have no insurance and we absolutely cannot afford the expenses. Does anyone know if a health plan that we can enroll in with the pre-existing pregnancy? We make too much for the state to help us. Thanks so much :-)

Old 07-01-2005, 07:12 AM   #2

brands11 HB User
Re: Pregnancy Insurance?

Hey
I know that when my sister had her baby almost two years ago they were in your spot as well. They had insurance but because she was anorexic and diabetic they would not cover the costs of a high risk pregnancy. The insurance would not pay for anything They too made to much money for medicaid themselves, but the day she had the baby, the social worker at the hospital somehow arranged for the baby to be on medicaid. I dont know how she was able to get it, but Im sure you if have a good social worker at the hospital you could call them up and ask to meet with him/her and see what your options are. Social workers are very aware of the resources available so even if you cant see the hospital social worker, perhaps you can get guidence from another.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyncheone
We make too much for the state to help us. Thanks so much :-)
Did you already check into that? I thought that also with my last pregnancy, but they did approve me!

Old 07-01-2005, 10:31 AM   #4
(female)

JLMandPaul HB User

I think you need to check into it more, contact the hospital where you are having the baby and find out. I know the state I live in (mass) has insurance for baby AND mother that covers everything from birth on up. Keep trying, I know there is something out there that will help your situation, good luck!.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetea13 HB User

Do you have a local health department, they may give you free or low cost care or know of a low cost alternative. I have heard of people going there for help...

Old 07-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #6

Maxx09 HB User

My husband makes good money and we still got approved for Medicaid. It won't hurt anything to apply. The worst thing they can do is say no. Also they would probably be the people to talk to if you don't get approved. They should know more about assistance than anybody. The good thing with medicaid is that the baby is covered the first year of life no matter what. It's a real lifesaver. Well good luck and go apply and see what happens.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:35 PM   #7

honeybeems HB User

i would say to go to social services also. once your pregnant insurance comapnies don't like to cover you because of preexisting conditions. you will most likely be able to get medicaid. i got it with my last pregnancy and i think that they didn't even take into account how much we made. i think it went right through because i had no insurance. if you have a local WIC office you could go there also, i think they help too.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

If you are pregnant you must get checked out even if you have to pay for your first visit. I don't know where you live but in NY there is Planned Parenthood. I don't know if they are nationwide they could probably direct you. Also, call your ob/gyn and maybe they can direct you.

Old 07-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #9

pyncheone HB User

Thanks so much to all that replied, I feel so much better about it. I was concerned about it because presently we both are working and I called the local family planning department and told her the situation and she was very rude and said they couldn't help without even knowing all of the details of our income or anything. Maybe I should leave my job? Thanks again to all, I will get some numbers and try again :-)

Old 07-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #10
(female)

JennaLynnK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeems
i would say to go to social services also. once your pregnant insurance comapnies don't like to cover you because of preexisting conditions. you will most likely be able to get medicaid. i got it with my last pregnancy and i think that they didn't even take into account how much we made. i think it went right through because i had no insurance. if you have a local WIC office you could go there also, i think they help too.
You might want to check on pregnancy being considered a pre existing condition, because I thought this to, but have just recently reread through my boyfriends insurance papers and it says pregnancy is not considered a pre existing condition all underlined and everything. Just thought I'd share that for anyone else having insurance problems.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #11
(female)

JLMandPaul HB User

In Mass there is a insurance called Mass Health. When I worked as a director in a state run daycare center, we gave out information packets to alot of people with no and low income, and employed people without insurance. I believe this insurance also is used to supplement someone with not-so-great insurance. Also, the plan covered pregnant women, infants and toddlers (and older children too), maybe you could find out if there is such an insurance in the state that you live in. Try to talk to someone in your local transitional help department, they might be able to figure something out for you. I know it sucks to be treated so rudely when asking for help but keep trying,there are alot of people willing to help out there.

Closed Thread