It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

mama_sue HB User
Painful Cramping and Constipation

I have been reading these boards and am hoping someone can give me some reassurance. I am 6 weeks pregnant and yesterday after breakfast I started to have a bowel movement and ended up paralyzed in bed for about 3 hours. I called a nurse and she said the cramping I experienced was due to my uterus being upset by my bowels. I was VERY constipated. I drank prune juice and later had milk of magnesia. In the night I had a small bowel movement and I already feel better. I had a little light spotting but it is over.

I was certain that I did have a miscarriage but now with no bleeding and feeling better, I am not sure. I am stopping prenatals and taking folic acid. Also, I was eating Viactiv calcium supps and I am stopping that (I think they did not digest well).

Anyone have BAD cramps in uterus from constipation?

Old 07-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
(female)

KLKL HB User
Re: Painful Cramping and Constipation

Hello,
I am 27 weeks pregnant. I know and i can understand what you are going through. I went through it all. unfortunately there is no exact sience that can help this problem. You have to learn your own body and do what works for you. in my first trimester, i had sever problem with this issue to the point that i would cry everytime i would go to the bathroom. Stool softener or mike of magnesia were not a good option for me only they would make this situation worst! Prune juice didn't do much for me either. the only one thing that worked is the prune itself. That will work! and talk to your doctor about it also. This is a common problem in pregnancy so you can ask your doctor.
There were times in the past that i thought i am going to miscarry the baby in the bathroom. It is very scary, and painful. Just hang in there, and take prunes. sometimes there is not much you can do anyways, just try to hang in there.
Best of luck to you ,
take care,

Last edited by KLKL; 07-02-2005 at 10:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your discomfort. I had a lot of pain in the first 8 wks, they did an unltrasound to make sure I din't have ectopic pregnancy. All was fine and pain was caused by stretching of ligaments holding the uterus. I'm 35wks preg now and have a lot of painful cramping while passing bowel now. Is it possible that the spotting was from rectum and not vagina?? which would make sense after being constipated.

I would definitly not stop your prenatal vit and folic acid, this is when you need it the most, first 8 wks. If you suspect that they are upseting your bowel movement suplement w/ stool softner, drink lots of water and eat fiber. Talk to your doctor/nurse for other options. Also you could ask for ultrasound to assure that you didn't lose the baby. But like I said in the first few weeks you will have major changes in bowel movement. Let us know how you are.

Last edited by Kiedy; 07-02-2005 at 10:59 AM.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

I would not stop the vitamins without checking with your dr. first. It's not just the folic acid that you need. I was very constipated at first and was told to drink more water and have fruit and fiber in my diet and that did the trick.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #5
(female)

mama_sue HB User

Thanks everyone. You have made me feel a lot better.

I will try some childrens vitamins with no iron + folic acid. The iron has always been a problem for me and with my angry uterus it was doubly bad. I still have cramps but it does feel more like stretching than period cramps. The milk of magnesia helped with the constipation but it still hurts so much to have any bowel movement. I may try Ensure for a few days or at least try to stay away from the onions and peppers!.

Closed Thread