It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #1

LPierce HB User
Vicodin while Pregnant

I am 6 months pregnant and have been taking 2-3 vicodin a day (10/500) They are a prescription and have been ok'd to take by my ObGyb. However everyone that I know keeps telling me that my baby is going to have all kinds of problems....so far everything has checked out well, and I feel him move everyday. But I am scared. Is anyone else out there taking vicodin while pregnant?? I have recently stopped, because I am about to enter my last trimester and I dont want the baby to come out addicted. The doctor warned me that the only side effect to the baby would be in the last trimester, that he may suffer withdraw symptoms if I continue up until birth? Does anyone know anything?? Please let me know, I am scared about the health of my baby boy. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 05:49 PM   #2

simonsmom HB User
Re: Vicodin while Pregnant

I know a girl who lives up the road (8 months prego) and took vicodin in the first trimester occassionally. She has since been to the dr. and he suggested that they switch her medication to something else thats not narcotic because of the withdrawals the baby will have. You can always switch back. She said she will switch back after the baby comes but i don't think she will be able to breast feed.

As far as quitting goes for the third trimester, she girl has smoked marijuana a handful of times and thinks because she hasn't smoked in her last trimester that everything will be fine. I really hope so. She has not smoked since her 6 month. Do you know or anyone know anything about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Ok, I can tell you my experience with this drug. My sister was pregnant with her 5th and was addicted to Vicodin. She was up to 30 a day. Now, after coming clean, the DR. told her that this drug does not cross the placenta and does not get to your baby. Maybe she wsa fibbing to cover her story, I am not sure, but the baby was healthy, happy., and had no withdraws.

Old 07-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

Emmabean HB User

I have a chronic pain condition, and I have to take a very small amount of Tramadol. Tramadol is not a narcotic, but it does work on the opioid centers of my brain to control pain. There have actually been more prenatal studies done of Vicodin, and intially my OB suggested having me switch to that. But narcotics do not help my particular condition. I don't know if Vicodin crosses the placenta or not, but I do know that babies can go through withdrawl. If you can live without it, that's what I would do. Without Tramadol, I have to stay in bed. Tramadol does cross the placenta, but again it is not a narcotic. I have heard both that it is addictive and non-addictive.
I read another message board early in my pregancy when I was trying to decide what to do, and there were a few women who had healthy babies and they took larger doses than I take. But you never know what will happen developmentally and if they will have learning problems.
I have heard that hydrocodone is bad and a lady wrote about her grandchild's birth defects. The baby needed reconstructive surgery on its face. It's ears were malformed as well, and they suspected it would have developmental disablities.
My ultrasounds are looking good and the baby moves a lot. I pray every day for her development.
There are stories about marijuana-- it's usually bad for development in early childhood (learning) if done frequently but you never know!

If you can go without the drug, I would. But I can not handle the pain. I am down to the lowest dose I can function with. It's not enough, but it gets me by. I will have to formula-feed. Just stay in close contact with your physician. They are trained to help you regulate it, but of course they will want you to stop the drug if you can.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

viccodine can cause the baby to not be able to breath when born. my advice is if you dont have to take it dont. If you do only the least amount you can.Ive taken it during my last 2 pgs with no problems.but it was as needed only for back pain.

Closed Thread