It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User
What to take to the hospital

Hi! I hope this post doesn't seem know-it-all-ish, but someone asked what to bring on the "new moms" board and here's what I posted there. I REALLY wish someone would have shared this info with me, so I thought I would paste this information here. I hope this is helpful!

Check with the hospital to see what they provide. I brought WAY too much stuff, including a big bag of my own pads, only to find out they provided really nice, thin Always overnights (which, by the way, I HIGHLY recommend).

Here's what the hospital provided:
FOR MOM
Pads (nice ones)
Topical pain relievers for the delivery region
Disposible underpants
toothbrush
toothpaste,
comb
deoderant
soap
shampoo
towels
samples of Lansinoh lanolin for sore nipples

FOR BABY
diapers (sent us home with a few packs, too)
wipes
clothes (just little undershirts and onesies, not ours to keep, though)
pacifiers
blankets (not to keep)

I could have gotten away with bringing just clothes for myself, and a little makeup. I bought some larger size cotton lounge pants (non maternity) specifically to wear in the hospital and in the first weeks at home, and I'm so glad I did. I NEVER wanted to see another pair of full panel maternity pants again after delivery! I did wear maternity shirts for a while- bring a few maternity t shirts that are bright and that will look nice in pictures (I know it seems vain, but you'll want memories from the hospital and you may as well look your best).

Also, I brought a little makeup, just blush and mascara, and I'm so glad I did. My face was pale and so swollen, but I looked and felt better because I took 5 minutes to make myself up. Again, these are pictures you'll have forever. I was REALLY glad I had bought a pack of big ol' maternity BRIEFS, the kind that come high up on the stomach. Your stomach is so loose jiggly after that the support feels absolutely heavenly!

Oh- if you are planning on breastfeeding the absolute BEST thing in the world is these nursing tanks from Target. They look the same as the expensive fancy brands, but only cost $16.99. They are by the brand In Due Time, and sadly, only come in black or in white. They are awesome. I sleep in one every single night. During the day when I'm just at home, I wear one with jeans, and if I go out, I throw a v-neck t-shirt over it and it actually looks pretty cute. They are also great for nursing in public because it keeps your tummy covered. Anyway, buy MUCH bigger than you think you need. I was a size medium t-shirt pre-preg, and I have lost all but 3 pounds, but I wear a size XL in these tanks. They run REALLY tiny.

What I wish I didn't bring:
the baby books
pads
toiletries
diapers
wipes
maternity jeans

The first night, when we realized how much extra junk we had, dh brought home two armloads of stuff, and we still had to make about 5 trips to the car the day we went home. The hospital gave us SO much stuff, including formula (they wanted me to supplement- yeah, right!), two diaper bags, a blanket from Jack's stay in the NICU, diapers, wipes, about 75 bottles and nipples (no kidding!), a sitz bath, pads, more disposible underpants... IT was so nice, but SO much stuff. So check with them.

What I wish I had known:
ASK THE NURSES FOR EXTRAS OF ALL THE TOPICAL PAIN STUFF THEY GIVE YOU FOR A VAGINAL DELIVERY. My hospital provided this wonderful epifoam that really helped numb the pain and I wish I would have asked for more before I left. It costs $50, even with insurance, for a teeny bottle about 1/3 the size of a bottle of travel hair mousse.

I hope this is helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 06:25 PM   #2

busybee HB User
Re: What to take to the hospital

Curious about the new moms board? Is is on this board or somewhere else? Thanks for the info.

Old 07-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #3

simonsmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybee
Curious about the new moms board? Is is on this board or somewhere else? Thanks for the info.
I was the one who origanally posted this questions. The board is not called New Moms it's called Infant care (up to 18 months) and it is on these boards. My Thread is titled what to pack for hospital and alot of people gave good advice. It's good to read this board so you know what you have to look ahead to.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

Be sure to check with your hospital because not all hospitals are as giving. I live in Canada, and they provide cloth diapers for babies use while in the hospital, they also provide hospital wear for you and baby while in the hospital. They have huge pads and disposable jock strap type undies that you can use but I preferred my own pads and underwear. And other than medications for pain relief you are to provide all your own toiletries and baby items. I am a planner so I packed extra things that I'm sure I didn't use the first time I had a baby, but I was glad to be prepared than to have to have my DH run home or to a store to get something else. I used one of those small suitcases on wheels so it was easy to get all my stuff into, and when it came time to leave I was even able to use the top of the suitcase to carry extra stuff like a transport trolley.

Old 07-04-2005, 04:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Thanks for the list. I wanna go to your hospital!!!!!

From what I've been told about our hospital...they are not as generous as yours was. I've saved your information so I can cross-check some things when we go on our hospital tour.

Thank you sooo much for taking the time to do this!
Gayle

Old 07-05-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Lawgirl HB User

Oops. Sorry. It's called "Infant Care (up to 18 months old)."

Closed Thread