It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User
Stroller questions

Im hesitant to even ask this because it probably seems very silly, but I can't be the only 1st time curious about baby strollers. I have been looking up on different sites trying to get some prices for strollers, and Im wondering what is a better stroller for new borns. I see a lot of strollers that come with a carrier, Im assuming that for newborns this is probably better? It seems like a lot of an awful lot of stuff to carry around, with iaper bags and all just to take your baby out.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User
Re: Stroller questions

The strollers that come with a carrier are a better deal if you have to buy one of each anyway - you can save quite a bit of money.

The only thing I don't like about the one I have is that the stroller part doesn't lay flat down. It's okay for an infant - they are laying down when the carrier is attached, but when the child gets older they can no longer lay flat. As well, the stroller I have now does not allow for the push bar to be used on the opposite side so when you are walking with the baby in the carrier, the baby is facing you. When you remove the carrier the baby can only face away.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

The current issue of Consmer Reports has an article & evaluations of the different strollers.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User

I bought the cutest carseat not thinking about the stroller. So a couple of months later after I bought the carseat I found the stroller that matched my carseat. The carseat clicks right down into the stoller & once the baby is bigger the stroller itself goes into the lay down & sitting up position. It has many cup holders & a place to put your baby bag & even a net for when the sun is out & all the bugs. The stroller was $89 & the carseat was $69. It was a great deal. I am not a 1st time mom but a 4th time so I know this will come in VERY handy. Wish they made this stuff back when my other children were babies.

Chris (35wks)

Old 07-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I am a second time mom, due in 3 wks and I just bought my stroller/carseat combo. It is a really nice one, it folds down nice, it has the carseat and the canopy can fold completely over the baby. I love it, it is brownish tans in it.

I think it all depends on what you can afford, to what you can purchase. I know you can go real cheap, but then the stroller and what not is made cheap. I just spent $229 on my set up, not that I can afford that, but it has to last a while. The baby can be in the car seat up to 20 lbs depending on how big he/she gets, and the stroller to last to 40 lbs, so you can get alot f use out of it. I had to purchase 2 with my dd, only because I went the cheaper way out, and it did not last long, that is why I decided to spend more this time around.

I guess I can't tell you where I got it, and what brand it is, but its nice, we searched all the baby places to find this one. good luck in your search.

Old 07-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

when i bought my stroller/carseat, i bought the combination (the one that comes with both). The way i did it was go into the store and do the "hands-on" test. see how heavy it is, how difficult/easy it is to maneuver, whether it tips easy etc. then went home and researched different brands and safety standards etc. i would get the combination one because you need the carseat which is handily also the infant carrier for your stroller...hope that helps

Old 07-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

We got the stroller system too. We've had ours up & put together for about 3 months now. I agree with going to the stores and trying out the displays. That's really the best way to learn what's out there.

We are sooooo glad we got ours really early. The plastic & fabric smelled pretty strong, and took a couple weeks to air it out. It smelled up the baby's room, so we moved it into the living room. It smelled up the living room, so we put it out on our screened deck for a couple weeks. There's no way I would have wanted that icky plasticy smell inside my car before it aired out properly.
Gayle-30 Weeks

Old 07-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

Thank you for your replies. I have been looking alot at the combos and the ones I have found were all around $300. I suppose it really makes sense though... if you buy a storller by its' self is around 200 and then in most cases you have a to buy a car seat anyways. Most of the strollers I have checked out either need a car seat or an extra head rest. I don't want my baby bouncing all over the place. $300 or more does seem like a alot to put out especially with taxes at one time, but if it means you save money down the long run, and it is durable. What are the better brands.. graco, cosco, and evenflo seem to be the better quality ones.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

the only problem with buying them seperatly is that, the car seat won't be able to hook to the stroller, so you can keep the baby in the car seat and keep him/her facing you while you walk around, so the best way to go, I think would be a combination. I think there are good and cheap/bad in all brands, mine is evenflo ellipsa lx, I love it. It has 2 cup holders, a covered area for small stuff like car keys inbetween the cup holders, a huge basket underneath for storage, a small zippered area for other things, such as a wallet or camera etc.. hard to see it there, it is hidden good, has the canopy that covers over the entire stroller, with a piece of fabric that you can either leave up to see baby through the clear plastic piece or fold down so the sun stays out completely, no more putting up a towel or blankets to keep sun off baby, it has a hook that will hold the carseat in place from moving around, it has a 1 finger (basically) touch lever in back of the carseat so that it comes off stroller and base very easily, the food tray comes out for easy cleaning, the whole food tray area comes off, it has a boot guard on it, that for like winter time or whatever, you can fold over babies feet to keep warmer, it has multiple recline and sitting positions, it has a push button and pull lever one hand, very easy way to fold down, when it folds down, it does not touch the ground like some do, so it does not get scratched up at all, and you can still push it around in folded position, cause it folds onto its wheels, not too heavy, all in all it was great for the price, I found it in 1 place (burlington baby depot), not 5 different places. Best bet to go and shop around, to find something you like. I cannot wait to use this one, it rides real smooth also. good luck

Last edited by hugs28; 07-05-2005 at 06:16 PM.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

I got my carseat carrier and they had a stroller that matched and sold seperately but worked together and it was cheaper to buy them seperately than some of the ones that came together. I recommend going to a store and test drive some, for mobility, ease of collapsing the stroller, how easy to attach seat to stroller, and seat to carseat base. And the stroller I got is good from infant to like 40 lbs or something. I also made sure it had a cup holder(s) and place for my car keys, and storage basket in bottom for diaper bag etc. But the best thing is to test them out.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Old 07-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

try sears or JC penny if those are near you. if money is really a problem, go for kmart or walmart....

Old 07-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

Money is not really an issue I was just stating that in Canada there are price and store differences... like I have looked some stuff up on toysrus.com and you can find a crib for around $100.. If you go on toysrus.ca you are lucky to find one that is around $200. Most of the people on this forum are from The United States, so when they tell you to shop at certain stores or certain prices of items it is not the same in Canada. Like in Canada we don't have JC Penny, but we have most of the store brands available in the States. I basically just wanted to know what are the better brands, and brands are more user friendly. I know me being a first time mom I really don't know alot about strollers or carseats, or whatever, I never really used them.

Closed Thread