It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User
i must stop watching tv

prior to getting pregnant, i was never afraid of giving birth...actually, the act of giving birth in its entirety never really crossed my mind. I never imagined the physical pain or the emotional joy that came with pregnancy and being a new parent. i felt brave...watching maternity ward or any shows with delivery in it didn't phase me. I felt joy for the new parents and comiserated to my imagination's best ability with their physical displays of pain.

now, pregnant for the first time, make me have second thoughts. i caught myself thinking "geez...i don't wanna give birth anymore!" i thought of the worst physical pain i could muster...and multiplied it by a hundred. I watch labor and delivery shows on tv and cry when the new parents cry...i cringe thinking of the intense physical pain.

everyone says that while you're in labor you hardly think of or even feel the pain...still, i gotta stop psyching myself out like this...i have to stop being afraid...and maybe stop watching tv!

anyone else feel/felt this way?

Last edited by asako; 07-05-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User
Re: i must stop watching tv

I feel the same exact way. I have been watching these birthing shows and i can't imagine how the babies head will come out. It just looks so painful. And then i think what if i cant get the epidural. You have to get it in a certain time frame.

And lately, i have been reading alot of the c-sections threads on this board and to me that seems painful too. From what i here whichever way she comes out it's when the paid meds wear off that you really start feeling the pain and your breasts hurt worse than ever when they fill up with milk.

I too am going to be a first time mom and i have 13 weeks to go and as much as i can't wait for this to be over, i am getting more scared by the day or enduring all the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiedy HB User

I hear you both too, and feel the same way. I'm beyond being scared of delivery, I'm plain angry when I think about it. You would think that w/ all the advancements that have been made in medicine over last decades, they could do something to make this process easier and QUICKER. My friend who delivered last month didn't even get the epidural b/c after trying to find the right spot for 30min, they decided that they couldn't do it and she had forceps deliverey w/ nothing. When I think about it I feel like I'm back in year 1800.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:07 AM   #4
(female)

siconik HB User

Hi everybody, when I was first time pregnant with my son, I was afraid of the delivery, but it was not like I had a clear idea about it, because I did not know exactly what to expect. But when the contractions begun, I think I started to get the idea and I did not mind being pregnant forever and carrying all the weight, I just wanted the baby staying where it is.
Now I am pregnant again after a missed abortion last year and just prey everything with the baby, with me, with the delivery to be OK. I just know that everything goes by, no matter how hard it is but the joy of the miracle stays.
Enjoy your pregnancies.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I felt that way at the beginning of my pregnancy, but now I just want it out. I want it out so bad that I really don't care what the pain level is. I've been having thoughts of the delivery room and the various things that could happen, but my mind always ends up fixating on the hospital being the end of pregnancy (yay!!!!) and the start of the rest of my life.
Gayle

Old 07-06-2005, 05:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User

I agree with Gayle, think of it as the beginning of something exciting. I'm also a first time mum and due in about 3 weeks. I'm a little scared of giving birth, I've never really experienced extreme pain so I just don't know what it's going to be like. But, I'm approaching it with the view that it's just one day in my life, one day of pain, and at the end of it DH and I get to hold our child which is surely worth a (relatively) short amount of pain. If it wasn't worth the pain then no one would have more than one child, right?

Luckily for me we only have local TV so I don't get any satelite or digital channels and don't get tempted to watch the shows you're describing...they sound like a sure way to scare yourself!

Spanish

Old 07-06-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

im1here HB User

Hi everyone!! I just wanted to say that I unerstand how you are feeling. When I was pg w/my son I was terrified of giving birth. It was the scariest thing that I imagined myself going through. I took childbirth classes which, quite honestly when I think about it now, I'm not so sure they helped me much. When labor started all I could concentrate on was getting him out. It was like I was dreaming or something. I had horrible back labor, but felt myself losing control of my emotions when I thought about it...so I didn't. I just concentrated on my body and what it was telling me to do...and thought about my baby. Yeah...tha pain SUCKED...but there are ways around it-epiduals aren't the only option...sometimes all it takes is a little Stadol (anti-anxiety) to help you keep focus and relaxed.

I did it without meds the first time with no regrets...and will do it again in January...that's just my personal choice, and I totally support anyone who decides to use something for pain. Good luck to you all...you are all strong and your bodies were meant to give birth...you'll know whats best when the time comes.

Jenn

Old 07-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

I know I had alot of anxiety about labor!!! And I had slight placenta previa w/ my DS so we had lots of ultrasounds to track to see if the placenta moved w/ uterous as it grew. And 2 of my Dr.'s want me to try naturally and would rush me to Emergency C section if I started bleeding too much, which really scared the heck out of me. Then I was at the next office visit with one of the newer doctors and told him my concerns and he told me he and the other newer doctor was all for scheduling my c section and not putting me thru the risk! I swear alot of it was me being scared, but I was so relieved to find out I could have a C section. I got a lot of slack from my friends about sch the C section and not trying vaginal. But I didn't have the first problem with my C section and did great and didn't have alot of pain with it at all. I am going to have another scheduled C section this time. I just pray I do as good as last time and don't have the first contraction, don't go into labor and make it to my scheduled date.

Then again the pain couldn't be to bad like the other poster said cause there are plenty of women that have more than one, and I think once you have that baby the pain isn't as memorable (for some.). I am sure there are some women that have a harder labor and some that tolerate pain better than others. But just concentrate on that precious baby, and know its worth whatever it takes to get that baby here and in your arms. I wish you all a stress free, labor thats bearable. Goodluck.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Old 07-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

asako HB User

WOW! i'm so glad to hear that i'm not the only one scared...even more happy to hear other people's experiences! one of my friends who gave birth 5 months ago said that the pain at the moment is bad...but in hindsight, she would do it all over again! I guess i'm just apprehensive because i havea low tolerance for pain...and just the thought of a baby squeezing out of that tiny opening....*YiKeS!* I know everything will be ok...glad to know that i'm not alone too!

Old 07-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
(female)

surprisepreg HB User

I know how silly people sound when they say that the pain goes away immediately after you see that beautiful baby, but it's true!! I had my first 2 babies without any drugs and an epidural with the third. While I will admit that the epidural has it's definate advantages , the first two times were no less magical. If you will have a clear plan in your head of how you want your delivery to go, it will help you tremendously. Plan it out and play it like a movie in your head. I know it sounds silly, but I believe that a lot of what goes on in the delivery room can be handled well with a mind-over-matter way of thinking. Not for sure if I'll opt for the epidural this time or not--pregnancy was a surprise, so just trying to adjust to the idea of 4 kids right now! Good luck to everyone!!

Closed Thread