It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User
When can I test? - Anyone have hypothyroidism here?

As of today, my period is 3 days late (it was due Monday). My fiance and I had intercourse on the 25th of June.. we did use a condom but it came off inside me after he ejaculated

I have a thyroid problem as well - hypothyroidism, which can cause infertility/miscarriage problems.

I always get confused with hpt's and when they say you can, and can't test. Latley I've had some mild cramping - mostly on the left side, which I thought was just periodstuff, but so far everything is totally clean.. no early brown discharge or anything. I've been getting lightheaded spells on and off the past week or two, and have been really tired. The tiredness CAN be related to the thyroid stuff though, as that completley wipes me out.

Any advice? Thanks everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
(female)

verdar HB User
Re: When can I test? - Anyone have hypothyroidism here?

I also have hypothyroidsim and found out that I was pregnant. My OB said that there is nothing to worry about. He said that he would be more concerned if I had hyperthyroidism. He also wants to decrease my thryoid medication.

I took the Clearblue Easy HPT. It may show up. I conceived on or about June 21st, and used a HPT on July 14th, and confirmed I was pregnant.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello Irys! It's nice to see someone from the thyroid forums . I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant and I was just starting treatment when I became pregnant (I ovulated a week earlier than expected and well...here I am ). So my hypothyroidism wasn't controlled at all. I'm doing better but my FT4 is still too low; hoping to get it up to optimal levels by 15 weeks.

The time to worry with pregnancy and hypoT is if you are untreated, under treated or have thyroid antibodies (which I just found out I have). Apparently the first two can cause problems with baby's intellectual development (among other mental development things) and the last can attack fetal and placental tissue just like it does the thyroid (at least that's their theory at this point).

Ideally you're FT4 will be in the upper third of the range. Studies show that many women will not carry a baby beyond 17 weeks if levels are below that range (I lost a baby at 17 weeks last November so that study was a bit of an eye-opener for me). Not sure if that's true across the board though.

It's been difficult physically for me trying to get my thyroid under control while pregnant. It seems like a losing battle sometimes but things are going well (heard baby's heartbeat this week ) so I'm encouraged.

I go for another blood draw Wednesday to see how the meds are working. I think I need an increase since I'm having a lot of joint/muscle pain and my hair is falling out again (I'm also cold!!). I'll be seeing an endo for the first time Aug. 11th. Hopefully she'll know more about this during pregnancy than my regular dr. who really knows nothing.

Please let me know how things go for you. You really have a better chance of carrying baby to term than not so I hope it goes really well for you.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-25-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

Hey ASDGRMama- Turns our I'm not pregnant. My period only ended up being about 4 days late.. which my thyroid might be to blame for, I dunno.. It was a bit of a dissapointment though, but probably better in the long run. I don't know if I could deal with my energy issues AND be pregnant.

Closed Thread