It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

Border3899 HB User
Epinepherine during pregnancy

Hi all! I went to the doctor the other day for my 1st offical exam aside from the exam i had with complications and everything looked great. One thing i forgot to ask my doctor was whether or not the use of and EpiPen during pregnancy would be harmful to the baby. I am deathly allergic to Hornets so if i were to get stung i would need to take my shot and get to the ER. I know it would be a necessity for me to take it for my life and my baby's depends on it, but would having to use this cause any harm on the baby? Not sure if any of you would know, i do plan to ask the doc but thought i'd check here before i get a chance to see her again.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FirstTimeMomma HB User
Re: Epinepherine during pregnancy

Hi. From what I know it should only be used during pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the risks. Basically if you are deathly allergic to hornet stings you have to use it. It is one of those things that they are not too sure on the effects to the baby. I would call your doctor and make him aware of the situation so that he can be prepared should anything happen.

Congrats on your pregnancy and I hope everything goes well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
(female)

Border3899 HB User

Thanks so much for your response. I did read the insert in the EpiPen and it says that it should only be used if absolutely necessary. Unfortunately for me if i didnt use it it would cause death to me and my baby. I've been lucky and have not been stung since i was first stung when i found out i was allergic, i do what i can to avoid those nasty little buggers but you just never know when it could happen. Hopefully i'll manage to make it all summer without, but i am going to call my doc to make sure she is aware just in-case i were to need to use it, she could be prepared.

Old 07-08-2005, 03:26 AM   #4
Inactive

off kilter HB User

I carry a epipen pen because of a allergy to yellow jackets. As you know the reason you carry one is the risk of death before getting to emergency care so I was told to use it if stung while pregnant. I did have to use it once while 7 months pregnant with my second son. I was at the playground with my oldest son on a beautiful fall day and was stung while reaching for a soda can. You know how yellow jackets are around suger in the fall. I used my pen and EMT's were called. The hospital gave me a second dose when I got there and admitted me over night. They monitored the baby for 24 hours. It did cause his heart to race so the watched him closely. All was fine. Just a side note both of my older children are also allergic to yelow jackets. We were lucky the first time my oldest was stung was as a toddler in my OB-GYN's office. He had gone with me for a appt. and was looking out the window while the Dr. and I talked. He screamed and when we tried to find out what the problem was, we saw his hand and arm quickly swelling at a alarming rate. He had picked up a stuned yellow jacket that had been laying on the window sill. He's been stung a few more times and thank god for that epi pen. As he got older and would be out playing we instructed his friends how to use the pen and we credit his best friend Bobby with saving his life. They were 12 and playing in the woods near Bobby's house when my son was stung. Bobby took the pen and jabbed my son in the thigh before running home and getting his Mom. My second son was 8 before he was stung and reacted but because of his brother we always carried a pen for him. My youngest is 7 and has never been stung but we get a new pen every year so we're ready if he ever needs it. If you do not have a medic alert bracelet for yourself get one as soon as possible. One of my biggest fears is getting stung while out with a toddler and passing out with no one knowing what is going on and my toddler wandering off.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
(female)

Border3899 HB User

Thanks Off Kilter for the reply. It's great to hear from someone who has actually needed to use it during pregnancy. I've been meaning to get a medic bracelet for awhile now just in-case i would get stung and pass out people would have an idea as to what the problem may be. Now i'm going to make sure to go get one. I've heard that allergies can be carried on from mother to child, so this is also something i'll bring up to my doc to see if she thinks it would be advisable to carry one with for the child.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

qt314 HB User

I'm so glad I read this thread! If any of us are going to the dentist during our 9 months, we MUST tell our dentist to not use the novicaine with epi in it. I've had it on my charts before because it does a number on my heart rate, but now that I've moved I'll have to tell my new dentist. But I had no idea about epi and pregnancy!! You can be given novicaine with or without epinephrine. Tell him/her to give you the dose without.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
(female)

Border3899 HB User

Thanks for posting about Epi and the novicane....i went to the dentist today and had i not seen your post about using Epi in it i never would have known. I was fortunate because of this and was able to tell her not to use Epi, otherwise she would have. Thanks again for posting that!!

Old 07-13-2005, 07:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

If you are that allergic to hornets that you will go into anaphalaxis in a matter of minutes, definitely use your EpiPen. If you don't, both you and your baby's life hang in the balance... Ask your doctor just to make sure, but if your reaction is that bad, I don't see why he/she would have any objections.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #9
(female)

Border3899 HB User

I was finally able to speak to the doctor about this and she said definately use it if i need to, but she said if for some reason i'm not sure if i was stung by a hornet to go to the ER. Well with me i'll pretty much know in a matter of about 5 or 10 minutes what stung me. Fortunately though i start coughing and having trouble breathing first so i can hold off to take the pen until i start getting symptoms. Although they claim each time you get stung you have less time, i'll continue to hope i dont need to use it. I did also order a medic alert tag indicating my hornet and penicillin allergy for mine and everyone's awareness in-case something happens.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
Inactive

off kilter HB User

Glad you got the medic alert, P. S it's been my experience each time you get stung you react in a faster stronger way. Good Luck.

Last edited by off kilter; 07-14-2005 at 07:03 PM.

Closed Thread