It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User
black cohosh????

hey all, I was curious if anyone has tried the black cohosh either alone or with the blue cohosh, which I cannot find locally lol, anyway, please tell me your stories, I wanna know if it worked or not, I have the directions on how to use it and I have it already, just have not used it yet. I will be 38 wks on saturday. thanks

Old 07-07-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User
Re: black cohosh????

i say let nature take its course..dont use anything

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

thanks and thats fine, but I get induced if I don't go on my own, and I don't want another induction.

Someone with advice on using this please speak up. thanks

Old 07-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

With the exception of a possible interaction with tamoxifen, there are no known interactions between black cohosh extract and any medications.8 In clinical studies,8 the only adverse effect reported with any significant frequency was gastrointestinal discomfort. In larger doses, black cohosh can cause dizziness, headaches, giddiness, nausea, and vomiting.9 One case report10 centers on a woman who developed a seizure after taking a combination of black cohosh, chasteberry, and evening primrose oil, but no clear cause-and-effect relationship was documented. No other reports of seizure in association with black cohosh have been published.

Black cohosh is contraindicated during pregnancy because of its potential ability to stimulate uterine contraction.11 The safety of black cohosh in breastfeeding mothers and the degree of transmission of black cohosh in breast milk are unknown. Controversy remains regarding the safety of black cohosh in women with a personal history or strong family history of breast cancer.

Other than the fact that it's almost poision I'd say don't use it, your not even due yet. And remember, they goof on your due date by two weeks either way! You may only be 36 weeks. Thats why they let you go to 42 if your late.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

they won't let me go past my due date, considering I have gestational diabetes. and my baby is already getting bigger then average, because of it.

Last edited by hugs28; 07-07-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

What is cohosh anyway?

Old 07-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello hugs! It has been in use for literally thousands of years for childbirth and women's issues. I know of many midwives who use it regularly and report having success without complications.

I personally have not had success with it . It has done absolutely nothing for me .

Unless your cervix is ripe it may not do anything for you either. Herbs that stimulate contractions will usually not help unless your body is ready to go into labor.

I would say start with evening primrose oil first (it is extremely safe and cost effective). Insert a capsule into the vagina three times a day. You can take it orally too (500mg/day). Having sex can help ripen the cervix also (not that it's exactly enjoyable at this stage ).

Nipple stimulation (rolling them between your fingers is best since using a pump makes them sore; using lanolin cream or olive oil will make it more comfortable) may induce contractions. Try rolling them for 5mins and resting for three repeating for 20mins out of every hour (well, every hour that it's convenient ).

For me the nipple stimulation has been the most effective in getting regular contractions (however labor has either already started or my water was broken when I did it).

I can understand your concern! I hope you're able to get labor going using some less violent techniques (meaning medical induction). If you're dilated at all would your dr be willing to strip your membranes? If you're at least a 2 having this done every 3-4 days may get things going too.

The black cohosh (one dropperful of tincture every waking hour; take a 24hr. break after 3 days to give your working body a break) may be an option if you're pressed for time or if the other measures fail. I always recommend doing a lot of research before taking an herb medicinally. They can be very potent and it's good to know what you're dealing with and the risks involved .

There are a variety of other herbs also if, as I said before, you're pressed for time. Doing a search for herbal labor induction should bring up some helpful links (most herbal measure should not be used for more than three days at a time during pregnancy since it can stress the already overworked liver).

I want to make sure though that ya'll know I only suggest the info here because hugs has a medical reason to get baby out and avoid medical induction (which poses risks and is not to be entered into lightly). I do NOT advocate these things for those who are simply impatient. Having had 5 children I can understand the weariness of the wait but it is always better and frequently healthier to just endure it .

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-08-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

thank you kelly for that. I have done quite a bit of reasearch on natural induction and I find the same all over, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I was trying to find a source of people who actually tried it and what happened with them. I was going to wait til next week to use it anyway, since I am not sure about my cervix yet, I don't get my exam until tuesday night.

my dh has been doing the nipple stimulation, but not like it is supposed to be I guess, but I figured any kind of stimulation is better then nothing at all lol, he starts with his hands, but then goes crazy with his mouth (sry tmi) but like last night went at it for like 45 minutes pretty much straight lol, only time I can really do anything as it is hard to do it myself with a 4 yr old in the house lol, anyway, then we have sex, nice and slow lol as it is uncomfortable and I cannot stay in one position for long at all, after he unloaded, I put a pillow under my butt and sat there for about 10 minutes. they don't tell you how long to leave it there for. I would have left it longer, but I cannot lay on my back long as it hurts, then of course you have to pee lol. After all that I was going to use the primrose, but got tired and forgot, I have been reading to use that when you go to bed, so it don't fall out? anyway, I am afraid it will fall out then too, since I am in the bathroom like every hour, I swear I don't get to fall asleep and then I am in the bathroom again lol. Now with the stimulation last night, I was getting contractions one right after another, and they were getting pretty tight and I could feel them in my back and butt area. Like I knew when it was coming on cause my back and butt got achy, then my tummy got real hard. once the stimulation stopped, they slowed then they stopped also, how can I keep them going without more stimulation lol, don't get me wrong it feels great and what not, but after about that long, its like enough already lol, and I mean I would have a contraction, then nothing for like 30-60 seconds, then another, but they would only last like 15-20 seconds at most. Any suggestions? I called my doc yesterday and spoke to the nurse cause I was not feeling well yesterday, and she told me, those contractions don't mean anything, they are only braxton hick etc.... they are looking for the painful ones. hmmmmm

thanks again
dawn

Old 07-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
(female)

jaybird75 HB User

hi dawn - i'm 39 weeks/1 day and just had a checkup with my midwife. i asked her if she'd put some evening primrose oil on my cervix (for best results, you're supposed to squirt the oil directly on your cervix - don't know about you, but there's no way i can do that myself at this point!), which she readily agreed to, so we'll see what happens! she also said to take 3 capsules a day orally, so starting today, i'm doing that. hopefully it'll work, since she said my cervix was soft and about a fingertip dilated and i am SO ready to get this kid out!!! good luck with the nipple stim. - i also tried having sex last night (hah), but i don't think any of hubby's stuff actually made it as far as my cervix and it was so uncomfortable, i'm not really eager to try again. anyway...good luck!!

Old 07-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

lol jaybird, good luck, you are supposed to put the capsules in there also, but have to put 2 in each night. I cannot do it myself either lol. hopefully these babies will be out soon.

Closed Thread