It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User
3 questions

When can braxton hicks begin, and when how often od you have an ultrasound? Oh also I have a hedgehog and I have read cats can be problematic, but does anyoen know about exotic animals?

Last edited by Fullfire; 07-07-2005 at 02:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FirstTimeMomma HB User
Re: 3 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullfire
When can braxton hicks begin, and when how often od you have an ultrasound? Oh also I have a hedgehog and I have read cats can be problematic, but does anyoen know about exotic animals?
I think braxton hicks can start anytime but are more prominent in the 3rd trimester as you body gets closer to delivery. your insurance usually determines the numbers of ultrasounds you have unless a problem is detected that needs monitoring. I had one at my first appt. (8 weeks) and this helped determine my due date. A pretty typical time is around 20 weeks. this is the time they shoul dbe able to determine the babies sex.

Not sure about hedgehogs specifially but with many exotic animals the biggest concern is salmonela (sp?). you can check with your vet to know for certain. There may be similar problems like with cats. i would say to make sure to wash your hands if you handle it and if someone else can clean its cage that would be best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User
Re: 2 questions

I would have to go back into my books, but I recall it says you can start to feel them as early as Week 23 or so (around there). I think I felt the first one around Week 24. I'd feel it about once a week for a few weeks, then couple times a week. Now at Week 30 (week 31 starts tomorrow!) I know I have at least 1 a day...sometimes 2. I'm not startled or surprised by them anymore. Some I cannot even feel coming on until I touch my stomach and find it's rock hard.

As far as the sonogram/ultrasound, my answer is the same as FirstTimeMomma's.

I don't know about the exotic animals either.
Gayle

Old 07-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

I read that 20 weeks was usually when braxton hicks begin. I was just curious because I am 12 weeks along and I can feel my uterus contracting figured the contracts are my uterus growing. I thought my next ultrasound would probaby at 20 weeks. I had one at 8 weeks. I always make sure I wash my hands very well when handling my pet. Salmonelia is rare in hedgehogs... just like humans they have to coem in contact with the bacteria to be sick.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

JLMandPaul HB User

With Braxton-hicks, they can start happening at any time really. Im heading into week 29 and have them daily, the doctor said they are normal, but if they start getting painful to contact him immediately.

As for cats, they can cause toxoplasmosis (sp), here is the definition for it: Main Entry: toxo·plas·mo·sis
Pronunciation: -"plaz-'mO-s&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural toxo·plas·mo·ses /-"sEz/
Etymology: New Latin
Date: 1926
: infection of humans, other mammals, or birds with disease caused by a toxoplasma (Toxoplasma gondii) that invades the tissues and may seriously damage the central nervous system especially of infants.

I have a cat, which my husband feeds, cleans and changes the litter box for. We also make sure to keep it out of the babys nursery (keeping the door shut at all times). So far, Ive been fine with her. Im just waiting for when we bring the baby home and how the cat reacts to her. If there is any problems or aggression by her to the baby, I hate to say it, but the cat will be out the door at first hiss.

As for exotic animals, I dont know as Ive never had one. Im sure you could find information on that on the internet.

Old 07-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hugs28 HB User

I just read, hmmmm forget where, somewhere here on the net, that your uterus actually contracts all your life, you just don't know it since it is so small, and the bigger it grows, during pregnancy, the more you notice it. how true it is, I don't know, I just read it yesterday lol.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

Thanks hugs* that is really interesting information to know. The contractions are not painfull I just have been noticing them more lately. I have also read that women are are more slender often feel braxton hicks and the baby movinf earlier. Kind of like walls, you have thick walls you don't hear alot of noise. If youhave really then walls you hear everything. Thank you for the info.

Closed Thread