It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User
5 Weeks and BLOATED! Normal or not?

I am only 5 weeks pregnant, but I am SOO bloated like my AF is here. My abdomen's really bloated and my clothes are already getting tight and uncomfortable. I actually look like I am already showing!

I am getting nervous because I do not want to tell my employer until after the first trimester, but they know how active and fit I am and they will notice this for sure!

Has anyone had this happen this early? Is this normal?

Maybe I am drinking to much water? 96 fluid ounces a day?

Old 07-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
(female)

angiedaw HB User
Re: 5 Weeks and BLOATED! Normal or not?

Hi, I am 5 weeks too, and already had a tummy that is obviously pregnant. I am small person, so it is hard to hide it. I think it is normal..

Angie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I had major bloating early on. Bloating was the reason I got into the transitional maternity pants at 9 weeks along. You wouldn't be showing yet because of the baby...but the bloating...ugh.

If I had known then what I know now, my advice would be to stick to fruits to keep your bowel movements regular. I cannot stress this one enough!!! I'll say it again...keep eating lots of fruit. You'll be shocked at how your digestive system comes to a halt so early in pregnancy.

Even if m/s kicks in and you are having trouble eating fruit...try to do it...even just a little bit. Constipation & poor digestion go hand in hand.

You may want to experiment with other generally boring foods and monitor your bloating. You may find certain foods that never bothered you before could be causing you to bloat.

That was my experience. Good luck!
Gayle

Old 07-08-2005, 05:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Yes I am a bloater too now... the damn prenatal vitamins made the constipation worse - so lots of water and FRUIT too- I totall agree Gayle!!! I was only 5 weeks when I was bloating bad -

Old 07-08-2005, 05:10 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

VERY normal! I felt like a beached whale up until about 9 weeks when it went away. It's back now though, 29 weeks.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

This is good to hear! I have been eating a lot of fruits and veggies and I have not had any problems with the prenatals making me constipated. (Although I take Flintstones, maybe that's why)

I am going to have to go today and get some elastic waist pants! YUCK! I am having a hard time sitting at my desk with these tight pants on!

Old 07-08-2005, 06:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kaleb's Mom 04 HB User

Yeah the bloating is very normal and it does make you look like you are showing early on, but does go away. I had bad bloating with both of my pregnancies. I am 13 wks now and I think the bloating went away like around 9 wks like the other poster said. Then you have alittle while and will start showing, although I will admit you may have some days the bloating sneaks back but doesn't stay, cause I know I did, and I am like hey wait a minute, but then the next day gone again.

You may be able to hide it until you get morning sickness, but not everyone gets morning sickness! I told my work at either 10 or 11 wks when I thought the ms hit, cause I was so green and threw up that a.m. before work. But turned out I had a bug and not ms so it was only a couple days. But I had already told them. I wanted to wait since I had had a miscarriage inbetween (but was early on and hadn't told work so they didn't know) and My DS was about to turn 1 when I told them I was pregnant again, needless to say they weren't real happy. Goodluck to you, just stick to blousey shirts to hide the bloating.
It's a GIRL EDD Jan 12, 2006

Last edited by Kaleb's Mom 04; 07-08-2005 at 06:33 AM.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

i must be bloated too...cuz my tummy is bigger than usual ( i always had a tummy..whether pregnant or not ) but now it's really out there..and i'm at 11 weeks. i'm on iron pills too so that even makes me more constipated. i eat alot of fruits and hardly any junk food...but i am still constipated, i feel so sad when i have to go to the bathroom because i know that i won't have a "successful" bowel movement. but even just a little of anything is good enough. weird thing is...even if i feel like i am bloated cuz of constipation problems, i am losing weight..loss 3 lbs in one month...tho my clothes are still fitting the same, i do feel my stomach getting bigger.

Old 07-09-2005, 04:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I have been taking pictures of my belly growth every couple weeks throughout the process. Looking back, I can see all the way up to Week 14 was serious bloat. My next pic after Week 14 was Week 17. Between 14 and 17 was officially where my picture changed from fat-looking, flabby, bloat to evened-out, tiny baby belly...and I had been in the early transitional materity pants since Week 9!!! I recall I grew out of the first set of maternity pants when the baby belly became a bit bigger...around Week 22 or 23.

Now, I have those transitional maternity pants around for after she is born, and will treat them as my fat clothes while I lose the baby weight.
Gayle-31 Weeks

Old 07-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

I had this bloating at around 5 or 6 weeks too. It was annoying and I felt fat. The good thing was it did go away by the third month. It just seemed to be a problem early on. The baby wouldn't make you show at this time. Unfortunately the bloating will most likely come back later in the pregnancy.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I am hoping that this goes down a little.

How much do you think I will be showing by the 5 month? Do you think I will need naternity clothes by then? I am going on a cruise and I will be 23 weeks when we depart. I need to get a few summery things if I am going to now before the summer is over and the fall lines move in.

Do you think I will be able to wear my normal clothes...maybe maternity bottoms and my current tops? Should I get some maternity shorts?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 07-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

skeetersquirt...i think u should just bring maternity with you. u should know your body more than anyone else. i'm only working into my 3rd month, and still fit my regular clothes but i'm sure that by 5 months, most of my shirts are going to be tight. so if u are small and have some loose clothes to begin with then maybe u can skip on by, but just in case, bring some maternity. so u won't have to be squeezing into something tight. cuz that does get uncomfortable after awhile. it's all about comfort.

Closed Thread