It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
(female)

crissy4359 HB User
Question Poison Ivy while pregnant...HELP!!

I am pretty sure i have poison ivy all over... as if i wasn't already misreable enough! I am 16.5 weeks pregnant. I was just wondering if any of you other ladies have had to endure this torture, and if any complications could be associated with the PI. And any good remedies? I've heard Zanfel works really well, but when it comes to that or my sweet & salty chex mix, I have to go w/the FOOD(zanfel is not cheap)! But its getting pretty darn bad, its basically on my back, belly, bellybutton, a few patches on my upper arms, and my legs from the knees up. And yes, I fear the worst- its climbing its way up to that part of the anatomy that should never be violated in such a way!

And to all the sweet gals who read and replied to my last post, THANX! I finally made it to the doctor, got the 1st ultrasound, & got the words I was so anxious to hear("Everythings OK.")! But still to early to see any signs of gender! My EDD is Dec. 21, 2005. A Christmas darling! And a good b-day present for myself( Dec.11). Ta- Ta!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

JennaLynnK HB User
Re: Poison Ivy while pregnant...HELP!!

The only way I truly know of that gets rid of Poison Ivy real fast is tanning. If I was you, I'd head to the doctor for some relief fast

OH! wait! Pool water does wonders for Poison Ivy. Sit yourself in a nice pool and soak for a few hours. It will dry it all up.

Last edited by JennaLynnK; 07-08-2005 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Just remembered

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
Inactive

plymouth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti
Senior Veteran
posted 07-30-2002 01:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you want to do is dry this stuff out! You can use a solution of 1 part Tea Tree Oil to 10 parts water and apply with a cotton strip by soaking the strip in the solution, then laying it across the skin for up to 10 minutes. You can also use my Great Grandmothers simple solution for poison ivy or any other kind of 'sore' that doesn't want to sem to heal.
Get some liquid Boric Acid solution at the drug store. Soak a cotton/gauze pad in the solution, lightly wring out any excess and apply it to the skin. Leave it on the skin for a full 5 minutes, then remove the gauze and allow the skin around the area to dry. Next, sprinkle Corn Starch (yes, the kind you cook with) onto the area until the 'sore' is completely covered. The Boric Acid solution will draw out any 'poison', and the corn starch will help it to form a scab more quickly. WORKS EVERY TIME!! Also, since you are forming the scab yourself a lot faster than you rbody naturally can, not only is the healing time quciker, but there won't be any noticeable scars.

I've used this 'remedy' when my son would scratch mosquito bites on his face until he had huge, gaping sores. It ALWAYS worked, and they didn't itch him anymore.

Old 07-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User

man I feel for you so much. This pregnancy alone has been so miserable I can't imagine what I'd do if I got poison ivy right now. I have bug bites that are making me go crazy.

I am highly allergic to poison ivy and when I am not pregnant and get it I usually spend way too much money trying to get rid of it and then I end up getting steriod shots. I don't think that's an option right now though (for you) because I have severe sinus problems (for 7 mths!!!) and they said they'd give me the steriod shot if I wasn't pregnant.

The tea tree oil thing someone posted sounds promising. I asked my dr about tea tree oil in my bathwater to open my sinus and she didn't see a problem with it. You might soak in that or maybe the oatmeal tablets they sell at the store for poison ivy.

I don't know if you can use it during pregnancy but they make this stuff called IvyBlock it's like sunblock I've got some I haven't used it though since it's so hot I don't go outside much.

Good Luck.

Edit - I wanted to add if you do try the tea tree oil in the bath water thing to use VERY little otherwise it has a burning feeling and might actually be worse with your poison ivy.

Last edited by MissT; 07-08-2005 at 09:39 PM.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:14 AM   #5
(female)

crissy4359 HB User

thanx for the great tea tree oil tip! I used it earlier, and some of the bigger blisters are drying up a little. I still have the rash that comes before the blisters ALL OVER, so I think I'll take a tea tree bath every other night until its gone! For anyone else who has poison ivy, pregnant or not, this is one of the best pieces of advice I've gotten!
Thank U Thank U Thank U!!!

Old 07-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #6
(female)

Natasha2316 HB User

I hope that clears up well for you I have never had poison ivy rash before but I can only imagine how rough it must be. I just wanted to post to say I am a december mom to be too Dec 27th hoping for the new years baby!!

Closed Thread