It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 01:43 AM   #1
(female)

KLKL HB User
Steroid Shot

Hello there,
I am almost 30 weeks and i have been battleing with contractions sice 25 weeks. I know that if i go to preterm labor and my cervix opens they give me steroid shots that helps develop babys lungs. Has anyone here every had the shot before. Does it have bad side effects for me or the baby? does it hurt? how long after the shots it is safe to have the baby?
I am very scared of having a premature baby. Please give me some in put about this. Thank you so much in advance.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User
Re: Steroid Shot

I had it now with both my pregnancies. With my DD I went into preterm labor at 32 weeks and the meds wouldn't stop my contractions so they gave me the shots (1 shot followed by a second 24 hours later) She ended up coming at 36 weeks anyway but had no problems at all with breathing or anything.
This pregnancy I was in the hospital at 32 weeks and my contractions were 2-6 minutes apart, and 4-6 contractions every 10 mintes, so because of my history they did the shots again. I don't recall the shots with the first pregnancy. But this time the first shot I got was in my thigh muscle...the medicine does sting, but it isn't too bed, the next day I asked her to inject it in my hip muscle and to inject it slower and it seemed to be less painful. But really it isn't too bad either way, I just figured the thigh muscle is stronger and more dense so the hip muscle being more loose would possibly be an advantage, it seemed to sting less so you never know. There are no other side effects that I am aware of, the benefits I'm sure would far outweigh any possible risks. My DD was perfectly healthy so I know it had no ill effects on her.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
(female)

KLKL HB User

thanks for your respond. So it doesn't hurt to get the shut anyways right? the fact that the lungs develope quicker deosn't cause complications later on if the baby doesn't come early and comes on time. Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2005, 12:29 AM   #4
(female)

*jyn* HB User

don't worry much... the shot will be good for your baby just in case your baby will be coming out earlier... i had PUPPP when i was 8 months along and i took prednisone (a steriod) as per my dermatologist's prescription and thank God, everything is ok with my 3 weeks old baby... i was also worried during those time but my doctor said the same thing, that it will be good for her lungs development...

Old 07-17-2005, 01:31 AM   #5
(female)

KLKL HB User

Thanks for your advise. I feel better now.
take care.

Old 08-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

hi kkkk, i was wondering how u have been doing. it seems like me and you are on the same wavelength with these pregnancies. im 30w 2 days now and i just got that steroid shot today and have to go back tomorrow for the second dose. it really didnt hurt, the nurse scared the hell out of me saying it would sting and be uncomforatble but it didnt at all. i got it in the hip/buttocks muscle... its too bad that she is off tomorrow!
im still on indomethacin and procardia to stop the contractions....
today they did an ffn test so hopefully that will be negative and ill be safe for the next 2 weeks. did they do that test for u?
hope all is well, update me please

Old 08-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

kkkk? anything new?

Old 08-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
(female)

KLKL HB User

hello jaimie,
I have been having it the worst. Yesterday at my doctor appointment i was told that they might have to deliver the baby in 3 weeks i will be 35 weeks almost. because the baby is not growing much! some problems i guess. I hope everything works out great for you. I'll be thinking about you. just hang in there.
I never ended up getting the shot because i had allergies to it! go figure!
Anyways I am so scared!
take care

Old 08-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #9
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

hey kkkk, im sorry to hear that! but u know, they told me that my baby isnt growing either, he is only gaining almost a pound each month. right now somewhere between 2.5- 3 pounds. its scary! have they told u what the baby weighs? im taking lovenox injections due to clots in my placenta, which is probably whats causing the decline in fetal growth. and to top it all off the steroid shots i got also cause low birth weight. so as u can see, i totally understnad what ur going thru, i feel the same way!
have they done an ffn test on u? i did one yesterday and it came back negative, now im worried i took all these meds for no reason. i dont know what to think anymore. good luck to u tho. keep me updated
and 35 weeks isnt bad. my neighbor just delivered at 34, the baby was 3 lbs 10 oz and she went home in a week. now shes 5 weeks and weight over 6lbs so everything will turn out ok. good luck again
speak to u soon
jamie

Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 PM   #10
(female)

KLKL HB User

Hi jamie,
What is ffn? they told me the baby weighs abit over 3lbs now. That is not good at all, considering I finished 32 weeks by now.
Iam very scared, my biggest fear is that she borns with any problems. My God, I guess thats any new parents fear!
My whole pregnancy has been a night mare! I started by having twins, one didn't make it at about 12 weeks it is still inside never misscarried. I have been vomiting since 8 weeks every single day, and have been dealing with lots of pains.
This is my first baby and with this experience last as well. I am 28 years old been married for 2 years.
How about you? first baby?
Anyways, as i am typing now my back is killing me i go lay down abit.
By the way how much weight have you gained? I was 105lbs before and i have gained about 19lbs so far.
take care and please be possitive, at least you know you are not alone. you sound like a very strong girl
take care

Last edited by KLKL; 08-04-2005 at 11:28 PM.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #11
(female)

KLKL HB User

Hi jamie,
I was wondering if you are ok? please keep me posted.
take care

Old 08-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #12
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

hi kkkk
ffn is a test that determines ur chances of going into labor within the next 2 weeks. its more significant when its negative, a positive test doesnt really mean anything. a negative one says that u have less than one percent chance of delivering in the next 2 weeks. so supposedly im safe for 2 weeks.
im sorry to hear that you had a m/c of one baby, thats really sad, and must make it hard for you.
im 24 years old, this is my second child, my first is a girl, almost 17 months. that pregnancy was a pleasure, no problems at all.... gained like 35 pounds total and went right back to pre pregnancy weight really quick. this time ive taken all this medication which made me gain like 10 pounds over night since i started it.... its terrible.... i was 111 prepregnancy and now im like 145... however when i stop the medications, because im on them on and off, i fluctuate by 10 pounds, its really weird down to 135... alot of water retention i guess, its the only thing that can explain it.... but my ankles arent swollen or anything so i dunno! this baby is a boy.... and i find it alot harder to carry him than my dd!
about the babys weight... i am kind of at the same point as you... my ds is just under 3lbs and im 31 weeks on monday... they say its because my placenta clots and there is less blood flow, have they checked ur placenta for clots? they have given me lovenox to incraese the babys weight, i take one injection daily....

let me know how ur doing, hope ur feeling ok, hang in there ,its almost over

i read a post here yesterday about a baby born who was due in december, u should read it, it gives alot of hope when being at risk for premature labor!

good luck to u kkkk, keep me posted!

Old 08-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #13
(female)

KLKL HB User

Hello jamie,
thanks for posting! It is good to talk to others in my situation. Oh Gosh, I have been vomiting like about 4 times today. I am so sick of it by now. MY Vomiting hasn't stop at all and it has been worst in my last trimester!
I will ask my doctor about Lovenox next time. I am so tired of this pregnancy it is really painful mentaly and physically for me. My whole family who i love so much are so far a way from me and this is the time i miss them so much.
My Dh is very nice but as you know there is so much you can expect a guy to do for you if any
I cannot even complain much because he takes it persoanl! I just want us to sucessfully have this baby i am so done with all its problems. Last night i couldn't sleep because i had very bad pain in my back i thought it is back labor! anything now is possible, and i get so worried about everything.
I hope everything goes well with you as well. I think about you all the time. just hang in there, we have no other choice and keep in touch.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi -

I just saw this post. I was in pre-term labor at about 26 weeks and was given the steroid shots (it's Betamethazone, and the 2 shots are given 24 hours apart). They stopped my labor with the evil, but effective medicine called Ritadrine so I could have the 2nd dose of the steroid. I'd been told it improved his chances from about 40% to 95% and that sounded great to me!

He was born 3 days after the 2nd injection and had no trouble breathing even though he weighed only 2lb 3 1/2oz and was so tiny. He was never on a ventilator at all and stayed in the NICU for 10 weeks.

He's 21 years old now and in college. He has a mild form of cerebral palsy but has built 7 computers from parts he researched and bought and he's fluent in German and learning Chinese. He's amazing!

I'm a believer in the value of the steriod shots to help mature the lungs of babies at risk for preterm delivery.

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 08-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
(female)

KLKL HB User

Hello barbara,
Thanks for your input, I am very scared about how everything is going to turn out hearing your story is very encouraging.
Thanks again, and take care.

Closed Thread