It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

FairyMagick HB User
Question Question about meds are they ok?

Hello ,
Is it ok to still take RX meds while trying to get pregnant or whilst pregnant? I don't have an appt with my DR until Sept. He didn't however tell me to stop taking my normal meds. But I totally forgot to ask and I just now thought about it Any info would be appreciated. I take thyroid and IBS meds.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
(female)

ExcitedMommy HB User
Re: Question about meds are they ok?

I would call your dr just to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User

Hello! If you are hypothyroid absolutely positively do not stop taking your meds!! Do call your dr though since you might need to have your dosage increased.

I'm on Armour thyroid for hypothyroidism and have had to have my meds upped.

If your meds are for hyperthryroidism then it's imperative to talk with your dr as soon as possible since these meds can be dangerous for baby's development and you should be on the lowest dose possible.

My cousin was told by her dr NOT to take her IBS meds. It actually improved during pregnancy and breastfeeding this time.

Are you hyperT or hypoT? Just curious . I was just diagnosed recently. Have you been to the thyroid forums yet? I don't remember if I've seen you there or not.

Well, I hope it goes well.

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
(female)

sweeterthan HB User

I was on RX meds and was smoking when I got pregnant as my pregnancy was not planned. I quit smoking the day I found out, cold turkey. One of the meds I was taking was for anxiety, klonopin. As soon as I found out I talked to my pyschiatrist and was able to safely stop taking it after a week of tapering off it. It scared me for awhile because I kept wondering if it did anything the weeks I did not know I was pregnant (I found out at about 5 weeks and stopped the klonopin at about 6 weeks) Anyway I was also taking Remeron for my depression, which carries a low risk of any complications but I still wanted to stop it as well because I didn't want anything bad to happen to my baby. But after about 3 weeks off it, I had to go back on it because of how bad my depression got and my insomnia returned. I was so depressed I wouldn't leave my house. My OB/GYN recommended I go back on the Remeron because she said its worse for me to be depressed and anxious than to be taking a medication that carries a low risk of complications. She explained to me that being depressed and anxious all the time is really bad for the baby. I just want what is best. So here I am (5 mons along now) and I take 30 mg of the Remeron every night before bed, and it really helps me alot. My ultrasound tuesday showed my little girl is strong and healthy.
Thats my story about meds and my pregnancy.
My advise would be to talk to your doctor about the risks involved. If your on meds that you NEED to been on then do not stop taking them w/ out talking to your doctor. You don't want to be sick and possibly hurt your baby.
Good luck.

Closed Thread