It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User
Question Dialating and Effacing Question

Hi all,
Just a quick question, how long approx. did it take for you to go into labor or have your water break after you started dialating and effacing? I know you can be dialated for weeks, but at my OB appointment yesturday I was 1.5cm dialated, 75% effaced and at -2 station, I wonder how long I can go with my cervix having made so much progress already. I made all this progress in just over a weeks worth of time. I will be 36 weeks tomorrow, but my DD was also born at 36 weeks so I am considered high risk for a repeat early delivery...with her I was only a fingertip dialated and 50% effaced when my water broke, so as of now I am already further in progress. I highly doubt I will make it another 4 weeks, but want to know what your opinions are. Thanks for your replies

Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Re: Dialating and Effacing Question

With my son I was dilated to 1 cm and not much effaced at all at 36 weeks. He was born at 37 1/2 because my water broke. I was still only 1 cm when my water broke, and only about 25% effaced. They had to induce me because I wasn't contracting on my own.

With my daughter, I was not dilated OR effaced one bit at my 39 week appointment. I went into labor that next morning and was already 5-6 cms 80% effaced when I got to the hospital 3 hours later. My contractions were only 6-8 minutes apart. I dilated to a 10 without my water breaking. They had to break it for me so I could get her out.

So, in my experience, second labors can be VERY different from first ones. If you are already 1.5 cms, I don't think I'd wait to long before getting to the hospital! LOL.
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User
Re: Dialating and Effacing Question

LOL! Thanks Siren, I have been having contractions since I was about 5 months pregnant, I think my body just likes to tease me. I was in the hospital once already because I had pretty strong cramps and my contractions were about 6-7 minutes apart for 1 1/2 hours...at the hospital they were anywhere from 2 minutes (when my bladder was full) to 4 minutes apart, but turned out to be a false alarm. So I am really paranoid because I can't really rely on my contractions. I have been at about 6-7 minutes apart now for a couple weeks, sometimes they are strong sometimes not, but even with our first my water broke at 8 or 9 in the morning and I didn't get into active labor until after suppertime that evening,(and that was on Pitocin too) so if it weren't for my water breaking I wouldn't have known I was in labor. I'm excited that it can be any day at this point. Because technically I only have 25% more cervix left...then all that's left is dialating, I know it is possible to be dialated for weeks but is it possible to be 100% effaced and dialated for weeks? My OB said as long as I make it past tomorrow we are all good...the hospital I want to deliver at only delivers you if you are over 36 weeks. Otherwise they will stop your labor or send you to a hospital with a NICU if you're water has broken or you won't stop labor. Well, thanks again for posting.

Closed Thread