It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 11:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User
Question What does "Back Labor" start out/feel like?

Hi,
I am 36 weeks (with baby#2) and at my OB appointment Thursday I was told I was 75% effaced, 1.5cm dialated, and at -2 station. This evening I noticed that I have had a backache for most of the day and now am wondering if it's more than just a backache. I am considered high risk for pre-term labor because I went into labor at 32 weeks with my first pregnancy, and delivered at 36 weeks. This pregnancy I was in the hospital at 31 weeks with pre-term labor. So I have been having contractions for months now, thus can't rely on just contractions alone (I think my belly just likes to tease me), but I don't really notice if the backache I have, is related to my contractions. My back hurts constant, I can't get comfortable at all, which isn't normal for me, usually I can switch positions and be fine, but that isn't working. The contractions have gotten a tad bit stronger over the last day or two, but not too bad, and on average are about 6 minutes apart (sometimes 7). I did happen to wake myself up a few times lastnight because I was unknowingly quietly groaning through contractions. I just want to know if any of you have experienced back labor before, what it felt like and what did it start off like in the beggining.
Thanks for your replies!

Old 07-31-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User
Re: What does "Back Labor" start out/feel like?

I had back labor with my son and the only way I know how to explain it would be it felt like really bad pressure built up in your lower back (around back from your hips), it was very tense/stiff and didn't let up! Sometimes you can get relief by having the area rubbed with warm oil! Hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

Ladybandit08 HB User

Thats what I had with Ava, and didn't know I was in labor...It sorta felt like a period symptom, it was in my lower back and hips and never went away. I put it off and when I finally went in I was 8 cms. ( you prolly read my birth story in the AUgust mommy thread) It wouldn't hurt to just go get it checked out Good Luck!!!

Old 07-31-2005, 11:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

I forgot 2 other symptoms...(Sorry if some of this is TMI) there was 3 occasions yesturday were I thought I had to make a bowel movement, but once I got there it was just pressure from the baby that fooled me into thinking that. And there was one time when I went pee when I saw a different discharge and thought it may be part of my mucus plug, but because it was so very little of it, I didn't think anything of it. Anyhow, after reading up on Back Labor, I decided to go see if thats what I was having. I was having contractions about every 2-6 minutes apart (2 minutes when the contractions were "coupling" and one time I had a triple set...where the contraction just seemed to ease up and the next would start a minute or so later) anyhow I wasn't having strong enough contractions, because when she checked me I hadn't changed since my OB appointment, so they gave me the option to stay and walk, to see if I dialate, or go home and wait. I went home so I could get some sleep, then later in the day made my sister walk around the man made lake not far from where I live. I'm not sure how far a walk it is, but it took us over an hour. Then when we got home I went pee and when I wiped I had more of the discharge I mentioned, so now I am almost certain I have been losing my mucus plug. The nurse said I will be back there very soon, so it's just a matter of time now. and that I just have to get my contractions stronger so they do the work they are supposed to do. I am going to try walking more tomorrow. Thanks for replying. I appreciate your feedback.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
(female)

mom'o'5 HB User

Back labor for me was in the area of your lower back just right above the "bottom", and it is dull and irritating like pms at first. I had it for a week before I delivered my 5th child. No pain meds will cure it, thats how I knew. And you will not find a comfortable position to be in. The only relief I found was taking a bath, but it didn't get rid of it. The way I look at it is, if you can't get rid of the pain with anything at all, it's labor. But thats only my experience!

Closed Thread