It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

skl_1979 HB User
Question Bradley Birth Method?

Just wondering if any of you have used the Bradley Birth method or are taking the classes right now? My husband refuses to shell out $200 until I know this is what I want to do. I want to avoid any medication because I had asthma as a baby and was very sick because of the medicine that they gave me when I was born, I'm great about pain and excersise daily and will continue to. I know things have changed but I am extremly annoyed with people esp. women who have never been pregnant tell me I want an epideral. How would they know? I was just looking for help in giving my husband more information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Bradley Birth Method?

I have signed up for my classes ($300.00 in my area ), but they do not start until August 18th. I am VERY excited about it!! I would suggest you read a few of the books by Dr. Bradley. I am currently reading Husband Coached Childbirth or something like that. While it's informative, it's also a little hoaky. His methodology goes back to the 1940's and I think he uses a bit of scare tactics to get you to believe natural is better. It's kind of funny, and I laugh a lot while I read it BUT the true message is not lost and I truly believe his method will help me with a natural childbirth. I think being armed with knowledge is the big thing. They don't just teach you how to breath, but they teach you what to expect and everythign that could possibly happen during birth. I think by education, the method takes away some of the fear & anxiety which will allow you to focus more on actually laboring. I think the big philosophy is that you can either learn how to cope with the pain through natural childbirth or you can distract yourself from teh pain with meds. I, like you, *really* want an unmedicated birth, but I don't think I can do it alone - I need some help & Bradley boasts a 86% rate of non-medicated births. WoW - I just wrote a book - sorry about that Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

skl_1979 HB User

Zekat,
Thanks for the help. I gave in to my husband and we are going to do classes at the local hospital starting next month which are free. If I don't like the classes he has agreed to drop those classes and join a Bradley class that starts in the middle of next month. We will see what he says because he admited that he took his Daddy to Be book with him on his trip. Obviously he is reading it because he was spouting off "this is OUR pregnancy" -sometimes I hate those books! By the way our classes were any where from $200-$400! Thanks and good luck to you too!

Old 08-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

When I was pregnant with my first I bought the book "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" or something like that. It does use some scare tactics and some very old statistics. I appreciated the info but I also ended up feeling like a total failure because I took stadol during the birth.

Closed Thread