It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

FLAngel HB User
34 weeks and back pain

I am at 34 weeks and have major back pain in my lower right side. It is not an ache (like it may be a labor sign) but feels more like a pulled muscle. It hurts to walk, get dressed, etc. Has anyone experienced this? Would it be a pulled muscle or something common/associated with the pregnancy. I have had it for over a week and despite rest, it is not getting better.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User
Re: 34 weeks and back pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAngel
I am at 34 weeks and have major back pain in my lower right side. It is not an ache (like it may be a labor sign) but feels more like a pulled muscle. It hurts to walk, get dressed, etc. Has anyone experienced this? Would it be a pulled muscle or something common/associated with the pregnancy. I have had it for over a week and despite rest, it is not getting better.
Your baby may be sitting on your sciatic (sp?) nerve. It happens sometimes, and I would ask your doctor about it to get some remedies. The good thing is that he will be shifting soon to get ready for labor, and may shift off of it soon

That really sucks tho. I had a posting about back pains, and a lot of peopel responded with some good advice, like hot compresses, massage, etc. Sometimes if the pain is too bad, your doc can suggest some other alternatives Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

That's a toughy. Unfortunately, you might just have to live with it.

Do NOT use a heating blanket. Icyhot and a warm shower head sprayed directly on the area might help. Despite my doctor's advice (shh don't tell anyone) with my first pregnancy I got into a hot tub for a few minutes and that helped temporary ease the pain - I wouldn't suggest it unless you feel like you're about to die though. Water aerobics (or hanging out in a pool with soft jets) is a wonderful way to relieve muscle tension; the water pressure kneads them into submission.

Your muscles have been completely destroyed from baby pie. Just be glad it started so late. You can expect much of the same pain after you deliver, unfortunately, while the muscles heal themselves. Mention it to your doctor, but don't be overly concerned.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
(female)

FLAngel HB User

thanks all for the advice! I'll try some icy hot and maybe hang out in the pool a bit. Glad to know it is fairly common though.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

My doc actually told me to use hot compresses after my car accident I had the other day :| Ok it with him if you are wary about it, but it's the only thing that I can really do because of the strained back muscles I have. The heat can't get through to your baby, and you can't boil it alive. You'd have to be really really hot to have that happen, and since it's on your back it should be ok.

I take water areobics tho, and they rock I would totally recommend them as well! Very low impact excercise too! Safe (just be careful of yeast infections from the bathing suits lol tmi)

Last edited by lex jude; 08-15-2005 at 07:19 PM.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MissT HB User

Yea mines been that way for as long as I can remember. I have to have it rubbed every night or I'm in tears. I tried the maternity belt to ease back and groin pain but it feels very restrictive and I can't stand it.

Good Luck

Old 08-16-2005, 03:01 PM   #7
(female)

Skylar333 HB User

My OB told me to use hot compresses and switch them up with cold ones. I doubt vicodin is all that safe since you are so close to labor (timing, not your symptoms). But my ob just prescribed me vicodin for my sciatica problem. I am 21 weeks so I am not as close to delivering as you are. Just ask your doctor. Also I am not 100% sure if its safe but tiger balm is a life saver when it comes to hurt muscles. I'd ask your doctor though or do some research. good luck and I hope you have minimal pain during labor and a healthy baby.

Old 08-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

I have sciatica and a bulging disk going at the same time. My doctor said heating pads were fine. He also said vibrating chair pads are fine too (he says the horror stories about vibrations shaking the baby's brains is FALSE)....and please note that he recommended the vibrating pads before we knew about the bulging disk...not sure if my Physical Therapist would agree to a vibrating pad for a disk problem.

Anyway, I ended up having to go to Physical Therapy for my problems because none of the above worked for longer than a couple days, and no amount of tylenol could even take the edge off what I have. If you are having your pain for too much longer, really stress to your doctor if you are in actual pain or are losing sleep. I was not aggressive enough with letting my doctor know how bad I felt & I guess he thought not sleeping more than 3 hours a night for 15 weeks was an exageration...but it wasn't.

Hopefully whatever you have is typical pregnancy stuff and goes away. Don't let it go on too long if you feel there is something out of the ordinary going on. I should have pleaded more with my doc for Physical Therapy much earlier...maybe I wouldn't be hating pregnancy so bad if I'd been able to learn pain management techniques much earlier on.
Gayle

PS: My Physical Therapist recommended pregnant women not go to a chiropractor. She said they are okay for non-pregnant people, but she said with all the loosening joints in our bodies...especially in the 3rd trimester, chiropractors can do more long-term harm than good. I'm sure there are plenty out there who would disagree with this...but I think chiropractors are quacks anyway, so I'm sticking with her advice. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by Gayle0000; 08-16-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
(female)

FLAngel HB User

Thanks all for your input. I had my regular OB follow-up today and she said it was my siadic nerve and that many women have the problem and there isnt much that you can do about it. It didn't ask, but I should have, if massages might work. Has anyone tried massage and do you know if insurance would cover it in a case like this?

Old 08-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAngel
Thanks all for your input. I had my regular OB follow-up today and she said it was my siadic nerve and that many women have the problem and there isnt much that you can do about it. It didn't ask, but I should have, if massages might work. Has anyone tried massage and do you know if insurance would cover it in a case like this?

Give your insurance company a call and ask....you never know! They may need a perscription from your doc...but who knows If it is causing you severe pain that you cannot function normally, they just may ok it.

Closed Thread