It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

KSAS HB User
The Bradley Method?

Has anyone here used the Bradley method or any other form of natural birthing? If so what was the experience like and would you do it again?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 11:42 PM   #2
(female)

KSAS HB User
Re: The Bradley Method?

So I'm assuming no one has ever used the Bradley method or experienced a natural or home birth? Anyone want to?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

I would be interested too if any one has any info or knows where to go to find out more.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

KSAS HB User

I have lots of information on the bradley method I just want to know if anyone has actually used it. I like the idea of my husband coaching me through childbirth and I like the idea of no drugs or episiotomies or c sections. If you have any questions on what it's actually about ask away weepyone

Old 08-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
(female)

skl_1979 HB User

There is a web sight for the Bradley method but I can not post it on here so you will have to search for it. I did not use the method but have looked into it. If we do not like the classes offered at the hospital then my DH has agreed to take the classes. Use the search on this sight to see the threads that i posted because the ladies were very helpful. My thread was just like yours so look for the same title!
-S

Old 08-29-2005, 04:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

is the bradley method like lamaze (sp) based on breathing techniques?

Old 08-29-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Even though we are not interested in following these techniques, I tried to find a Lamaze or Bradley Class in my area out of curiousity and couldn't. The closest ones were over an hour away, and very expensive.

In our Childbirth Education class (put on by our hospital), we were told about the Bradley, Lamaze, and the other one (forget the name this second). They have gone out of favor because the epidurals and other choices of pain meds are better than they ever have been. People are choosing those instead. Classes are not offered everywhere, and are much more expensive because they end up being private classes due to lack of interest.

We were told only about 10% of people come into the hospital wanting to go natural, and about 50% of those 10% end up getting drugs anyway. (Stats at the hospital we are going to...not a national statistic).

That's what I know.
Gayle

Old 08-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
(female)

KSAS HB User

yes but there are people like me that when I give birth to my child, want to be fully aware and want to let my body birth the baby no matter how long it takes women did this before epidurals and I think that I can let my body do what it does naturally. After reading statistics on what the drugs can do to your baby I never want to have an epidural. I don't want to have my baby at a hospital necessarily I want to spend the majority if not all of my labour at home.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
(female)

KSAS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepyone
is the bradley method like lamaze (sp) based on breathing techniques?
It is nto based on breathing techniques but rather on letting your body tell you when its ready to push and being with your partner the entire time of the birth. The title of Dr. Bradley's book is called husband coached childbirth.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSAS
I have lots of information on the bradley method I just want to know if anyone has actually used it. I like the idea of my husband coaching me through childbirth and I like the idea of no drugs or episiotomies or c sections. If you have any questions on what it's actually about ask away weepyone
I don't think many people "like the idea" of having a c-section, but more than 25% of women give birth each year to that method because of medical reasons. There's another 10-15 percent of unnecessary c-sections performed each year. I about died when I was told that I was going to need a c-section, but it was necessary to save the baby and myself! Now that I'm pregnant again, my doctor and I decided that it is best for me to do a repeat c-section.

I have a friend who was SURE that she wouldn't use any modern medicine. 5 hours into labor she opted for the epidoral and then 10 hours in, she had to have a c-section. The cord was wrapped around her daughter's neck they had to do it. She thought I was wrong for having the c-section and told me before she went into labor that she would never allow it. Now she's holding her baby girl and is so happy that she decided to trust modern medicine, it helped save her baby.

I'm not saying that everyone gives in an takes the medicine, but it happens so often! I can fully understand wanting to be alert for the baby, I will never be able to experience that. I also have a friend who has delivered three beautiful children completely naturally!!! Snaps to her! She's a stronger woman than I am! Even if I didn't have the c-section, I would do the medication, I'm just a wimp!

Old 08-29-2005, 01:59 PM   #11

Alleyne HB User
Re: The Bradley Method? (LONG)

I used the Bradley Method and would do it again in a heartbeat. My baby girl will be 4 months old on September 1st. She is my first child.

I didn't get to attend a Bradley Method class (Nor did I attend any other birthing class)... so I got as many books about the Bradley Method and natural child birth and read and read and read... then I made sure my husband understood it. He doesn't have the patience to read such books.. heh.

My Birth Experience:

It was wonderful... and at times a comical experience.

I was 38 1/2 weeks. Water broke at home at midnight May 1st. My contractions started right away but were not very painful so I decided to make sure I had everything that I wanted packed for the hospital... My hubby kept a watch on how far my contractions were and with in the hour they were already 4 minutes apart so we decided not to wait any longer and headed to the hospital.

It was nearly 3am by the time they brought me to triage to check to see if they were going to admit me or not. I was managing the contractions very well so I didn't think I was far along ... to my surprise I was 4cm dialated and 90% effaced so I was admitted.

I was moved to my Birthing Room at about 3:30am. My nurse came in and started telling me how I was going to get an epidrual and pitocin. When I told her I didn't want either she looked at me and said "don't worry you'll change your mind" *laugh* I am not kidding. I told her that I would let her know if I needed anything.

My hubby was a great coach... he talked to me and rubbed my hand to help me relax through every contraction. I found that I needed him to talk to me when I was contracting. Even though I was in pain I made sure I was in total control... to the point that I was careful at how I was talking to my hubby and my mom who was with us. Concentrating on not lashing out due to being in pain help me have control. I even apologized to my hubby for being short with him at one point... heh. He laughed then I laughed.

At 6am I was already at 7cm and hanging in there... The nurses left the room and my doctor had ventured off to find a place to take a nap. Before they left they told me that if I felt like pushing not to push until they come and checked to make sure I was complete. But maybe 15 minutes later I felt the transition... it was the most painful thing that I have ever felt and knew it was time... the baby was right there. I told my hubby and mom that I needed to push.. they were telling me not to... I was telling them that they had no idea. *laugh* My mom leaves to get the nurse.

The nurse strolls in and slowly puts on her gloves... meanwhile I am doing all I can to not push... I am fighting my body to not push.. it was harder fighting my body not to push then handling all the contractions... She finally sits on the side of the bed and checks me. With a surprised look on her face and a "Oh" coming from her lips... she tells me that I was complete... she turns to the other nurse and tells her to get the doctor than turns to me and has me start pushing.

Oh what a relief to push... for me the pushing was not painful at all. I was talking to my doctor and asking her how I was doing... I didn't want to tear nor did I want to be cut... so I basically had open communication with my doctor to avoid tearing. She just stood back and let me do most of the work.. coaching me along to help me not to tear. I also tried to calm my mom down who was crying... telling her that it was okay. My hubby laughed at that too. He had tears in his eyes... not only because his daughter was coming but because of how proud he was of me.

I pushed for maybe 15 minutes... when my little girls head came out her eyes were opened and she was crying.. her body was still in me though... she was so alert... my hubby said it was the neatest thing to see her so alert. He also said that when she was crowning, she was turning her head from side to side... she totally helped herself to get out.

At 6:34am I had her in my arms. The nurses said that they have never seen a labor go so smoothly or a 1st time mom be in such control.

I owe it all to the Bradley Method and natural childbirth books that I read. I did have some minor tearing... so next time I am going to have to read up on some pointers to avoid the tear.

My advice:

Find what completely relaxes you and practice with your coach. Practice it when you are in pain for other reasons.. such as headaches, migraines, etc... don't take Tylenol... just have your coach help you get past it. Believe it or not what relaxes me completely, is having my hubby rub the palm of my hand. So he had it pretty easy... all he did was take hold of my hand and rub it until the contraction was over. I would focus on his touch rather than the pain... he'd also watch the monitor and talked me through the contraction... letting me know when it was peaking and when it was letting up... as well as watching my body language and telling me to relax my face or my legs, whatever at the time he saw was tense... that helped out a lot.

Make sure you understand all your options. A birth plan will help you with that. I didn't write one out or anything.. but I made sure I understood all that could happen and what I would want if things are not going as planned. However, with my next baby I am going to write it down and bring it with me. You have no idea how many times I was offered medications. Right off the bat even when I was handling the contraction with ease. I actually chuckled because that was one part of the books I didn't believe... well believe it... they'll throw it all at ya.

I wouldn't have a home birth... even after a great experience. It actually puts me at ease knowing that the doctors and the equipment needed to rescue either me or my baby are at hand in an instance.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Allyene - thanks for sharing a great birth story! It's very encouraging to hear such wonderful outcomes from natural childbirth!

I start my Bradley classes on Thursday and I'm very excited! We are 22 weeks along right now and are preparing for a natural birth. I think a person does need some kind of preparation in order to have a natural childbirth. I think many women plan on one, but end up with the meds because they aren't prepared for what happens and fear & anxiety creep in which intensifies the pain. I think Bradley gives you the knowledge you need in order to feel good about certain decisions instead of feeling like decisions were made for you. Hypnobirthing is another popular method of natural childbirth which I've looked into and you might want to also. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2005, 02:48 PM   #13
(female)

skl_1979 HB User

Allyene- Kudos to you for the natural birth and being truthful. I too do not want meds of any type and I have to laugh everytime the nurses tell me I'm crazy- cause all I am thinking is you don't know me at all. It also helps me to have my husbands touch- I've survived two MC's and that is the closest you will get to labor. I want nothing to do with the pitocin and have major issues with an epidural. I too don't take meds for even a migrain- I get the kind that make you pass out and then you have no idea where you are when you come to. But I will be honest and if I have to have a c-section to help our DS come into the world I will do it. But I think that because we have all of the meds it makes dr and nurses feel like they have to use the meds. I come from a long line of women that had natural births from the pioneer days until now- there is no reason why I can't use what I was born with to have a healthy baby. Besides studies show that you can recover faster from birth if you go naturally and make sure that you are healthy and responsible for every pound you gain- it makes a difference ask any Dr.
-S
p.s. the classes that we were going to take were an hour away once a week and $250. I too bought the books on Natural Birth and they were very informative! Highly recommend!

Old 08-30-2005, 08:03 PM   #14

Alleyne HB User

Hope you got to read my experience KSAS and this post didn't get buried too quickly.

Closed Thread