It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User
Maternity Leave?

What am I entitled too? My company is not being very forthcoming with this information. Most women have taken 3 months off, but I saw on the internet that it could be 26 weeks?

Old 09-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #2

brands11 HB User
Re: Maternity Leave?

I have been told in my state that it is only 6 weeks, so anything more than that seems very lucky to me. Hopefully it is not correct and I could get more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

Six Weeks? What state are you in? I would not be happy with that at all...

Old 09-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

Depending on the size of your company, not what state you live in, you are entitled to up to 12 weeks unpaid leave under the Family Medical Leave Act. It is a federal law. However, your company must employ over 50 people to be covered by this law. Also, you have to have been a full time employee who has worked 1,250 hours over the past 12 months.

Your health insurance may have a short or long term disability plan that will pay you about 60% of your salary while you are out on leave.

Your HR department HAS to give you this information, it is illegal for them not to. I am a human resource manager as my day job.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Your company does not have to offer PAID maternity leave! Amazing, huh? I worked for a company before that didn't do it! We had to save up vacation time if we wanted to be paid. Pittbull is correct with the FMLA laws, but again, the time off is unpaid unless your employer specifies. In Texas (as Pitbull said, it's not a state thing, it's a company thing) most of the companies around here only give 6 weeks paid. If they give any! I've never heard of 3 months or 26 weeks!! WOW

I have my own business, so I set my maternity leave!

I hope all of this information helps.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #6

pgta5 HB User

Yes... You are entitled by the Family Medical Leave Act to be given 12 weeks of leave as explained. Each employer is different w/ pay. I worked in the financial sector when pregnant w/ DS. I was given 12 weeks total and was told that the time off before the baby was born also fell in this 12 weeks. I had a "b" as a manager! We were required to use all of our sick time/ vacation before our disablity could kick in. I think that standard is 6 weeks off for vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for c-section.

It's important to check what you state laws are and company policy.

I know...just wait 6 weeks is NOTHING!

In some European countries women can take up to 2 years off! Some are even given time off during the day to nurse their babies! The US is one of the worst as far as maternity rights! It stinks! Try leaving a 6 week old at daycare when your boobs are still leaking milk and you c-section scar is not even anywhere close to healed! NOT FAIR!

Old 09-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #7

brands11 HB User

I live in Michigan and according to my employment they only allow me 6 weeks.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

brands11, does your employer only pay you for 6 weeks, but gives you 12 off? THe 12 weeks that you are ENTITLED to is unpaid. If your company is paying for 6 and unpaid for 6 youve got it OK.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
(female)

sevans929 HB User

At my company (in New Jersey), we are allowed 4 weeks prior to birth, and 6 weeks after. However, if delivered by c-section, you are allowed 10 weeks after. And if the doctor prescribes bedrest before you give birth, that is added to the 4 weeks prior. Luckily, we are able to take time for FMLA as long as we'd like, but unfortunately, it is unpaid time. But my company is very good with maternity leave, and will let moms take as much time as they want and still come back to their regular job with regular pay afterward.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

In the uk you can have 52 weeks 8 weeks at 90% pay 8 weeks at about 50% pay plus statutory maternity pay of only about £100 aweek on top then stat mat pay only up to week 26 then if you want can take another 26 weeks with no pay but you job is kept open. of course to get this you have to have worked for them for so long it may be 26 weeks before you start maternity leave. Of course most people use their annual leave before they go on mat leave and then use the leave they acrue whilst on mat leave when they return. I will take 26 weeks leave but with my leave added on (i get full pay for holidays) i could have 34 weeks off. I thought you had good rights in the u.s but 3 months mat leave or 6 weeks i bet if the men had babies it would be longer at full pay with bonuses lol.

Old 09-02-2005, 05:39 AM   #11
(female)

hreiter HB User

It differs from employer, but for mine, I get 6 weeks paid for a vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for a c section. I can then use the rest of my vacation time to still get paid if I would like. My company also lets you take 6 months unpaid off under the FMLA and still have my job. (they are very generous with maternity leave). I would talk with your HR personnal at your work, they should have all the information you need.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:38 AM   #12

pgta5 HB User

Oh..I just wanted to add, FMLA leave in the states can be taken annually if you have worked at least 1250 hours. It is, as discussed unpaid. This is a federal law.

My son was very ill a few years back and I took 3 weeks off under this law. Then last year my father was dx'd w/ cancer and I was his caregiver. I took 12 weeks off as well. You are guaranteed your job (or possibly a comprable job). Pregancy is just one of the "conditions" that fall under this law.

In both instances I had to liquidate my sick time first!

Some employers are wonderful and will hold your job for you even if you are out on Personal leave for 2 years while others will post your job at 12 weeks and 1 days. Act accordingly. I work as a teacher now and we have 3 teachers who had babies last year and who are utilizing personal leaves of absence for 1 year. Their jobs are being held.

You are SO right! If it were men who had the babies they WOULD give then more time off and an expense account to boot!LOL!

Closed Thread