It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

FirstTimeMomma HB User
Can someone experienced explain what happens after you give birth?

I know after the baby is born you then have to deliver the placenta and such and the doc stitches you up if you need it but what happens then. I am guessing they get you all cleaned up and such. And i know you bleed a lot what what else can be expected? Don't worry about TMI here because I really want to know. I know you can have hemoroids and swelling.

Do they make you use the bathroom right away? Just how much do you bleed at first and how long does it last? Etc.

I am trying to be as informed as possible so that i know what to expect.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

Karen62705 HB User
Re: Can someone experienced explain what happens after you give birth?

Well I would imagine the type of delivery you had would depend on what happenes right after giving birth. I had a pretty routine delivery. My DS came very fast for being my first one. Entire labor was under 5 hours. I had to get an episiomoty. So after giving birth I had to have a bunch of stiches. This took around 20 minutes. DS was under a warmer, as his body temp was a little low. Once I was stiched the nurse helped me get up to go to the bathroom. I had No pain medication (not by choice he came too fast), but I remember my sister having an epidural, and they wanted her to wait alittle to go, as she was still really numb. As soon as I got out of bed, blood poured down my legs! I was not expecting this, so I was a little scared. The nurse said thats normal.

If your going to breast feed, they will put the baby on you as soon as possible! Bottle feeding can wait till you get back to your room.

So then......They wheeled me in a wheelchair to my room. My DS never left the room I was in, and I held him when going to our room. Then you basically get settled in, and try to sleep if you can.

The nurse gave me an ice pack. It was a baby diaper filled with ice. I had no desire to put it down there...but the second she put on, it felt WONDERFUL!!!
They also gave me this numbing stuff called Epi Foam. This was great too. After you go to the bathroom you can't use toilet paper. You use a squeezie bottle, with warm water and tucks pads. I don't think I used toilet paper the first month...lol

The bleeding was something no one told me openly about! So I was really freaked out! You will bleed alot! When you have been in bed for an hour or so and get up, it WILL run down your legs! Take a shower as soon as you feel comfortable! It made me feel so much cleaner, and a lot better! Blood clots are common too! I passed a few the size of tennis balls. The first time it happened I was buzzing the nurse like crazy, thinking something was wrong. Nothing was wrong, and I was fine.

Once you have that little Angel in your arms nothing else matters! Even if you have a long painful labor, you'll forget all about it when you look into that babies eyes. My bleeding finally stopped around 6 weeks later. The last few weeks were like a light period. I didn't heal fully from the episomoty for 8 weeks. After that I was able to resume normal activity. My DS is almost 12 weeks old, and I have had one period since he was born. It came around 8 weeks later, and was really light, and lasted around 5 days.

Now i'm sure like with every pregnancy being different the aftermath for everyone will be different. Don't spend too much time stressing about this. I never did once. If I did though I probably would have been more prepared for the bleeding....but now I know for next time.

Oh and BTW as far as delivering the placenta, I don't remember that at all!! I have talk to many girls and they don't remember it either! I think you have way to much on your mind, and delivering it is just not an issue. let me know if you have any other questions!

Good luck to you on a safe and happy delivery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FirstTimeMomma HB User

Thank you sooo much Karen! That would be scary if i didn't know about it!!! Now that I am 25 weeks I keep thinking about delivery more. Why is it that noone tells you straight up how it is going to be? I appreciate your honestly because I think it will help me not to be so scared if I am expecting certain things to happen.

Anyone else with stories please share too!!!

Old 09-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

My second delivery was very routine, so it's nothing to write home about. It's always the first ones that get you.

Mine was very very long - 2.5 days in the hospital. When I delivered, I was only allowed to hold dd for a few minutes before she was taken away. They had to run tests because she had swallowed meconium (the first bowel movement). I tore very badly and required alot of stitches. Numbing medication was put on the area. Then the nurse took out the epidural tube. That HURT like nobody's business (it hurt the second time too). The pain only lasted for a few seconds after it was removed, then the area was just sore. There was alot of blood when she removed it, too.

I slept and slept and slept afterwards. DH stayed with me and slept on a pullout couch. She was born @ 3AM and I didn't see her again until 8AM (I think). I was woken up at 7AM to try to walk. It takes a while for the epidural to work through your body. I attempted to stand, and nearly fell flat on my face. The nurse needed me to get to the bathroom - having your first urination after delivery is vital. It lets them know that all your organs came out [relatively] unscathed.

I was bleeding like a stuck pig. I had a few clots, but nothing bad. That came later. Large clots are OK if you're in the hospital and being supervised. But mine didn't develop until 5 days PP, at which point they were the size of peaches. I didn't heal and the doc said it was a hemmorhage. She prescribed a pill that stopped the excessive bleeding within a week. Any clots larger than a golf ball should be reported immediately, just know it isn't uncommon.

Back to the hospital. I was able to walk after a few minutes when the circulation worked into my legs, hehe. It hurt to pee. The urine burned the episiotomy. The nurse gave me a solarcaine spray. THAT was a mistake! I had an allergic reaction and ended up with hives on top of my stitches! Moral : ask your doctor what the hospital will give you, and then request a patch test. Even if you don't think you're allergic, the last thing you need is to have an unexpected reaction.

The hospital provided pads chafed. I had DH run out and buy me a pack of the cloth covered Always. I had to change them more often but they felt sooooooo much better.

I couldn't stand up straight. My stomach muscles were so abused, it hurt to work them. I ended up taking all my showers hunched over for the first month. DH had to wash my hair for me for the first week or so.

I became anemic and my blood pressure dropped like a rock. At one point, it was so low the nurse couldn't read it. My milk came in, but wouldn't let down. In general, it felt like someone had beaten me to a bloody pulp.

But....DD made it all worth it. She was so cute and tiny and cuddly, and I had waited so long and gone through so much to get her into the world. I figured any pain I was having was short term (in the grand scheme of things) and was worth it as long as she was healthy.

On an upside....

The sitz baths feel wonderful and get you squeaky clean. Baby will probably sleep for the majority of its first days, so you'll get to rest as well. If you have a relatively easy labor, consider your hospital stay more of a vacation. It's just you and baby (and maybe dh). You don't have to cook, clean or do laundary. If you need a break from the inevitable first screaming fit, someone will be ready to take the baby.

Medically, the post partum period isn't fun. It's actually terribly frightening and painful. It's still worth it.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Do you bleed the same amount amount with a vaginal delivery as with a c-section?

Old 09-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

My recovery was somewhat like altari's....if you want a play by play of mine, I posted my birth story under "finaly here" on this board

I went through natural childbirth, no pain meds....I had to be cut and got a few stitches...I felt when he cut me, but not really when he was stiching me. I don't remember the placenta coming out. They kept on massaging my stomach which was uncomfy....and every few hours or so they would come and rub it to make sure my uterus was contracting.

They had to take my blood a milion times too....well ok so maybe it was only three times, but that was annoying...

And yea the amount of blood that comes out is startling....it runs down your legs and can get very messy more then anything! I didn't get any hemmoriods when pushing, and my stiches haven't bothered me too much. I just do my sitz bathes, and I have been walking around as much as I can. I am kinds sore down there, but it's nothing I can't deal with. It's been a week and I feel great The whole delivery part sucked, but I've forgotten about it already

I guess it depends upon the person and how their body reacts, because I heard some horror stories (and man....I was scared!) from a few friends and I dreaded the healing part. But I didn't go through as much as a bad time as they did. (even my first BM wasn't bad. I was so scared about that, but they gave me a light laxative and I ate a bunch of fruit....but it wasn't bad at all. It was a slow process, but not bad) So have some hope

Old 09-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Mine was routine and very similar to Altari's as well.

For the placenta, my Dr. told me to give a little push, and I felt it come out. It didn't hurt (but then the baby didn't hurt coming out either...I had an epidural). I asked to look at the placenta later and they showed me the sack and how it was attached to my uterus, the remainder of the cord. Very cool, but very bloody.

I had to wait until the epidural wore off before I could move or be moved, so I think that took about an hour (time seemed to go so fast and stand still at the same time...just guessing an hour). They kept asking if I had to pee, and I didn't. They finally made me try about 2 hours after the birth. The nurse stood right there & helped me. No pee. I ended up having a "distended bladder" (I don't know what that is), but they had to put a catheter in me. I was shocked at the amount of urine that came out & I couldn't even feel it. You won't even care about modesty at this point. After that event, I was able to go on my own.

They moved me to my room & told me I had to have a nurse present to help me use the bathroom 2 times before I could go myself. First time she showed me how I would be using the bathroom for the next couple weeks...Squeeze bottle of water, pat with a big wad of toilet paper, spray 'Dermoplast' spray (Solarcaine spray also was recommended for at home when I run out of Dermoplast), apply tucks/prep H/witch hazel pads for stitches and swelling. It's quite an operation.

The first night, they gave me ice packs to put inside my pad. 1 was a pad with a built-in ice pack, they gave me a diaper with ice in it, and they gave me a rubber glove filled with ice & wrapped in a towel to put in my pad. After that first night, the ice packs were not given to me.

I took my first shower the next day. I thought the shower sucked because I had no water pressure and was too sore to get out of bed myself. NOTE: I had a problem with my pain meds in the hospital...they FORGOT to give them to me for 12 hours...so I was in pain...that's why I had such a hard time...once they got me on a proper pain med schedule, I felt incredibly better and probably would have had a better time with that first shower.

I had a sitz bath the 2nd night. It was okay. I did like how it made me feel very clean. The warm water was fine. I think I preferred the cool more than the warm.

They gave me a stool softener the 2nd night, and I had my first BM the next morning (the day I went home). It didn't hurt. The did not require me to have a BM before I left the hospital.

My stitches have broken open a little bit here at home (too much stair-climbing) but they hurt & are not bleeding much. The blood from the uterus (lochia) is a lot, and it gushes periodically. Just this morning, I got out of the shower, sat on the toilet to rest/start getting dressed...and I stood up (no undies on yet) and blood just gushed down my leg & drips all over the floor. It happens. It doesn't hurt.

I ended up moving the baby's diaper pail into the bathroom for me, my toilet paper, and pads. I have plugged up the toilet every day with all the toilet paper I have to use to pat myself dry. Also convenient to have a place for all the pads, so everything (including the baby's little dirty diapers) can go outside at the end of each day). No sense in clogging up the toilet every single day if you don't have to.

That's my story.
Gayle

Old 09-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

PrittyGreenEyez HB User

My story is pretty much like Gayles. I don't ever remember delivering my placenta. My fiance saw it and just about died, but i'm guessing my son was in my arms around that time and I didn't really care about anything else at that moment.

I too had an epidural and not really knowing the side affects thought everything was going to be okay pre-labor so when my nurse asked if I needed the restroom I told her "yes." However, getting up and walking was a different story, I looked like a toddler taking his/hers first steps. I remember sitting on the toilet and feeling the need to pee and pushing, but nothing was coming out. So I ended up having a catheter that night and twice that next morning. Luckily they gave me some IBproufen and an icepack to put "down there" to reduce the swelling and later that evening I was able to use the bathroom by myself. I remember they would also come in and check how much I had urinated...I had to pee in this plastic container and save it for a nurse to check? *ODD* They also gave me some Phillips Laxatives to soften my bowel movements...belive me I was scared...but it wasn't bad at all.

I did tear a tiny bit. Nothing extreme, and nothing I really noticed. Everytime I went to the bathroom I'd spray just like they told me to and I was fine. The shower however made me feel so much better. The hospital mattress pads and fish net panties got on my nerves, but worked like a charm. Fortunately 2 days later I was wearing more "comfortable" maxi pads and my own underwear...with elastic! I guess i didn't bleed all that much...luckily nothing running down my leg.

However it was annoying when I"d be dozing off and a nurse would come in and push on my stomach...that got old really quick, but I understand that they had to, it was just uncomfortable.

Just take care of yourself and if possible let others take care of you. The next day I got home I was up and walking...wasn't doing anything too extreme, but I knew when to stop and what my limits were. You'll be fine. Good luck*

Last edited by redsoxcubbies; 09-15-2005 at 11:00 PM.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:00 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

Ugh I forgot about the stomach pushing! That made me so angry the second time around. The first time it made me squirt blood...and I was happy to be being watched. The second time I just wanted to sleep. That's the joy of subsequent deliveries. If everything goes OK, the nurses give you more leeway. With DD#2 I was allowed to walk to the bathroom by myself the first time, and go alone. No nurse ever came in with me. I asked why and they said 'Eh, you know what you're doing, right?'

I remember the placenta. It felt like a big glob of jello coming out. I never received an ice pack, though.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Okay, I want to say this is TMI, because it scares the living day lights out of me. I was thinking I'll be fine, I'm gonna wing it, then comes the truth. What really happens that nobody talks about. Thank you all for laying it down for us first timers. Believe me, I am grateful to hear about what really happens, but I am still scared to death.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:06 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

Don't be scared (at least not TOO scared).

First off, it's inevitable. You're already pregnant. You can't get out of it. All you'll do by being afraid is stress yourself out.

Secondly, once it happens, you won't remember it. Notice how few women talk about the wretched labor pains. We don't remember it at all! Mother Nature gives us the wonderful ability to put it all out our minds.

Thirdly, the post partum period...I think we're all making it out to be worse than it really was, y'know? All you're hearing about is the bad stuff. From me, it's just my first delivery. I'll tell you a bit about my second delivery. It wasn't be nearly as bad. It was actually rather pleasant.

I had dd, and then the doctor stitched me up. That was fine. About 15 minutes later, they gave me my dd and I held her for a while. I wasn't too tired, because I had been induced. Labor started around noon and she was delivered by 10:45PM. I was hungry more than anything. They took DD to the nursery so I could get all fixed up. The nurse took out the epidural, which stung like heck, then brought me something to drink. About an hour later she had me up and walking. The bleeding was terrible, but I expected it. I went to the bathroom and the urine stung. Again, I expected it. I was kinda weak kneed from all the medication (two shots of demerol, followed by some other narcotic while I waited for the epidural). After everything stabilized, I was fine. My stomach was a little sore and tender, but I could walk and shower and dress myself very well. When the IV bad was done, they took it out.

DD was brought back into the room a few hours later. The nurses gave me a chance to get situated and eat. Most of the first day was naps and blood tests (they came to draw twice). When I was awake, I was sitting up in bed, eating or doing a crossword puzzle, with dd snuggled next to me. Every so often a nurse came to palpate my stomach (which I had totally forgetten about until someone mentioned it!). It didn't hurt, but it didn't feel good. Walking stung a little for the first few days, and the skin felt 'heavy' against the stitches. Within a week they didn't hurt anymore. The morning I left they came for more blood. I half knew they were going to, so I slept with my arm on the table. The vamp just started taking it without waking me up (of course, the needle woke me anyway).

I got to wear my own pjs and my own slippers. I loved it. I didn't want to leave! I knew when I got back I'd had a screaming monster (AKA dd#1) to take care of. I'd say within 2 weeks I felt completely better.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:06 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Boo Boo HB User

Hi,

what about if you had a c-section? l had tohave an emergency one, so l m not sure how they took my placenta out nor did l want to know at that time! any ideas?

Old 09-16-2005, 03:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Do you have the same bleeding following a c-section as a vaginal delivery?

Old 09-16-2005, 03:55 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Boo Boo HB User

im not sure, obviously l had my period straight away and had a catherter attached..

Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User

Friday, I've heard no. Mostly because they get in there and clean you up completely while they do it. With a normal delivery, everything has to come out on its own : the baby, the placenta, and all other gestational material. When you have a c-section, the doctor takes it all out very throroughly before sewing you back up, so there's much less to expell. Everything I have read on it says the bleeding is lighter (change your pad every 4-5 hours rather than every 1-2 with vaginal delivery).

Closed Thread