It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 01:17 AM   #1
(female)

AngelfaceGirl HB User
Question Is this medication safe to take while Pregnant...

Can anyone give me any information about taking Carisoprodol 350MG (Soma) Tab while pregnant. I am 14 weeks pregnant and My appt to see a doctor is not until October due to insurance issues. I have been taking Carisoprodol for the past 5 years for Muscle Spasms. I normally take 1 pill every 8 Hours (3 a day). I have cut back on them when I found out I was pregnant. I now take half of pill every 8 hrs(1 1/2 a day) It has been hard to deal with the pain since I have cut back so I just try to relax as much as I can. I have tried to do some research on the Internet but can't really find any information saying it harms the baby. I have even tried calling the pharmacist and was told call my doctor they don't give me any information one way or the other. So my question is has anyone here taken this medication and is it safe for me to take while pregnant. I have been so stressed worrying and don't want to harm my baby. Please if anyone can let me know I would greatly appreciate any feed back regarding carisoprodol (Soma). Thanks for your help.

Last edited by AngelfaceGirl; 09-21-2005 at 01:19 AM.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Is this medication safe to take while Pregnant...

The best thing would be to call the doctor who prescribed it and ask them if it is safe. However, Soma is a Class C drug in pregnancy. Class C is defined as follows:
Either studies in animals have revealed adverse effects on the fetus (teratogenic or embryocidal or other) and there are no controlled studies in women, or studies in women and animals are not available. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 04:12 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelfaceGirl
Can anyone give me any information about taking Carisoprodol 350MG (Soma) Tab while pregnant. I am 14 weeks pregnant and My appt to see a doctor is not until October due to insurance issues. I have been taking Carisoprodol for the past 5 years for Muscle Spasms. I normally take 1 pill every 8 Hours (3 a day). I have cut back on them when I found out I was pregnant. I now take half of pill every 8 hrs(1 1/2 a day) It has been hard to deal with the pain since I have cut back so I just try to relax as much as I can. I have tried to do some research on the Internet but can't really find any information saying it harms the baby. I have even tried calling the pharmacist and was told call my doctor they don't give me any information one way or the other. So my question is has anyone here taken this medication and is it safe for me to take while pregnant. I have been so stressed worrying and don't want to harm my baby. Please if anyone can let me know I would greatly appreciate any feed back regarding carisoprodol (Soma). Thanks for your help.
Hi Angelfacegirl, Carisoprodol (soma) is one of those drugs where there just isnt any clear study or evidence of the exact effect on pregnant mothers or the unborn child as safe usage in pregnant or lactating woman has not been established. It is recommended that physicians weigh the benefits of use against the potential hazard to the mother and child.

Also, keep in mind should you remain on this medication and plan on breastfeeding that soma has been found to present itself in breast milk at concentrations 2 to 4 times that of in maternal plasma.

Soma also contains aspirin. Ingestion of aspirin near term or prior to delivery may prolong delivery or lead to bleeding in the mother, fetus or neonate.

This is a drug that is in a class amongst others of those that safety hasnt been proven but doctors will often still feel comfortable prescribing it to their pregnant patients. Seeing how you have a little while yet to go before your doctors appt. i would call the doctors office and explain the situation to them and ask the doctor if he/she would recommend you continue to take the med until you come in for your appt. If the doctor wants you to stop taking the medication i would definately ask, seeing how long you have been on it, if it is safe for you to just stop taking it cold turkey or if you should taper off of it as soma isnt classified as an addicting drug however, taking into consideration the length of time you have been on it and the condition you suffer the physical pain you would endure by just stopping it abruptly could stress you out physically (as we all know, pain will increase the blood pressure as well) and what effect could that have on your unborn child.

I would call your doctor and ask alot of questions! After all, that is what they are there for!

ValleyGurl

Old 09-21-2005, 05:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

friday13 HB User

Hi Angelface!

If you do a search for Soma under pregnancy on this board you will find some info -but pretty much the same info as what the other posters have just given you.

I too took soma and darvocet everyday for 5 years. the same dose you are taking. My surgeon (for my herniated discs) and my OB suggested I TAPER off of them. PLEASE don't quit cold turkey. I tried that and had horrid tummy aches that nothing would help. SO,,,,, do exactly what you are doing - cutting back. It took me about 2 months to go off of them but now I feel better - which is strange. LOL

But while I was tapering off I was scared because my spasms would start in and it was painful and I was terrified to be off of them. but once I did it - I do feel better. I have my days with aches and pains from 2 bad discs in my neck and 2 in my low back - I am having a c-section so I don't destroy them even more. I am due in Feb.

Also you can check with your Doc's... but my fear for you is if you don't have a 2 month supply and your doc is "strict" you may not get any refills and you will be forced to deal with the withdrawl effects. So check with your OB tell him/her you are tapering off of them - and see what he/she says. Don't discuss it with your prescriber because they may just say - no more for you!!

That didn't happen to me - but I have heard of that happening. And going off of them too FAST can be very bad. You are doing great - 1.5 a day right? start going longer hours in between taking them.... and that is how I did it - then I was even down to 1/4 pill a day (1 time a day) and then off completely.

Good luck i hope my advice helped!

Friday

Closed Thread