It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
(female)

sweeterthan HB User
Angry Heartburn Everyday-Taking Rolaids & Tums

I have heartburn every single day!!!!! It sucks. Rolaids Softchews work great or sometimes I take Tums. I eat at least 2 everyday (either of the Rolaids or the Tums). Is this safe?? I can't help it. I usually get it at night and when I lay down, forget it....acid reflux!!! But sometimes I get it at anytime of day. In the morning if I drink orange juice, I may as well take some Tums with it.
Oh what fun. Anyone else getting heartburn every single day? I'm 29 weeks and obviously its getting worse in the third trimester. What do you ladies do to put out the fire?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
(female)

SpringDaisys HB User
Re: Heartburn Everyday-Taking Rolaids & Tums

I'm not getting heartburn everyday, but I do take Tums. With my first pregnancy my doctor actually suggested I take two Tums a day for the calcium since I'm not a big milk fan, so I'm pretty sure it's safe. I had two a day during my whole pregnancy and I didn't experience any problems, nor has my son.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

It's so frustrating, isn't it? I get the heartburn everyday at about an hour after lunch until bedtime--tums works pretty well when it's not that bad--otherwise it's the zantac like Robyn said. My doctor gave me a prescription for zantac 150, but in an effort to take as little medication as possible, he said I could take one OTC zantac 75 and see if it works, if not, then I can take another 75...most of the time one works. I'm only 18 weeks and I've had it since the beginning.
I'm with you on the orange juice--forget it! I find it's better when I don't have any citrus juice or stuff with tomato sauce in it. Also fried stuff and real fatty stuff is bad...and onions. I'm trying real hard to control this with diet, but sometimes--some tums is perfectly okay. I'm still struggling with this though, let us know (or anyone else reading this let us know) if there's any magic cure or something that works really well!

Old 09-25-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

polbilly HB User

yep tums are safe and good for you and your baby
Jackson James born March 8th 2006

Old 09-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl224 HB User

The absolute worst part about my pregnancy is the heartburn. I am 38 weeks and I still get it. As a matter of fact, I hardly slept last night because of it. I can give you some suggestions which will definately help you.

First off, Tums stopped working along time ago and if i take one now, it works only for a few minutes. The Dr. told me to take Zantac over the counter. I take it about an hour before bed because it lasts all night.

It was also suggested to eat numerous smaller meals rather than big ones. Avoid acidy foods. I stoppped drinking OJ many months ago because it instantly burns, also nothing with tomatoes or tomato sauces in it. I also found out that chocolate and soda also contribute to heartburn.

That was my culperit (sp) last night. I had Chocolate Chip cookie dough before bed and that small amount of chocolate kept me up all night.

Also, try and sleep as elevated as you can. Let me know if your hearburn gets better at all.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User

I sympathize with you....I too was perscribed zantac by my doc because I have a hiatal (sp) hernia and being pregnant just made it worse.

I agree with babygirl's suggestion...but here are a few more

I would keep a bottle of maalox by my bed--that stuff works way better then tums or rolaids. Those tums are useless after a while. Even the zantac didn't work as well....but my doc said I could take prevacid every once in a while if I wished (I was taking zantac by perscription before I was pregnant. I only took that on my BAD days)

My baby boy came out healthy and fine And the heartburn went back to normal the day I had him....so have some hope

Old 09-25-2005, 10:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sherbet HB User

Mmmm.... me too Tums do nothing! I take Gaviscon to relieve the acidity, they have it in chewable tablet form and liquid (I beg to differ that it can be called liquid tho, kinda like Molasses could be called liquid... heheheeee...). I like the peppermint and lemon tablets best but they also have aniseed flavour.

Its safe for baby too

Closed Thread