It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

mckroot HB User
scared of blood tests at 1st prenatal MD appt.

Just wondering how the blood testing works. My first appointment is Thursday and I am scared. What if something shows up in my blood that I didn't know was there? I know only time will tell, but I'm going to drive myself crazy between the time I get tested and the time they let me know the results. I wish it didn't take having a baby before they test you for all this stuff.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
Re: scared of blood tests at 1st prenatal MD appt.

You should expect your doctor to order routine blood tests to identify your blood type and Rh status, and a blood count to check for anemia. He/She will also have the lab test your blood for syphilis, hepatitis B, and immunity to German measles (rubella), and offer to test for HIV. (If your practitioner doesn't offer you an HIV test, be sure to ask about it.

Around 20 weeks, you will be given a very serious blood test if you choose to. This for me was much scarier. This is a screening test that identifies pregnancies at higher-than-average risk of certain serious birth defects, including neural tube defects such as spina bifida (sometimes called open spine) and some chromosomal disorders (Down syndrome and trisomy 18). There are a lot of false positives with this test, so it's pretty stressful.

I think that you shouldn't worry about what the results may say. But that's easier said then done!!!

Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I had the same concerns! I was completely freaked out about the HIV portion - it was optional, but I elected to have it done. Still sucked though I waited a week and then went to my doctors office and asked for a copy of my labs! I couldn't wait for my next appointment Chances are everything will be peachy, so try not to worry. Truthfully, though, the more knowledge we have about our body, the better.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:21 PM   #4

pgta5 HB User

Your lab results should be back in 24-48 hours. I had mine drawn on Wednesday (late afternoon) and called for results Friday morning. They usually do not want to share them w/ you before the doctor reviews them, especially if you are not familiar w/ everything as they have to explain and there is a lot of info...

The major things to look at are your CBC (complete blood count) hematocrit and hemoglobin are your red cells, they check for anemia which is very common. If you have it you will may be asked to take an iron supplement and watch your nutrition more closely. Platelet count (which helps your blood clot), White cell count (to indicate any infection), blood sugar, thyroid, blood type, and Rubella titre to check for immunity. The chemistry part will look at your liver function, electrolytes etc. It's very standard, and actually it is important to have these checked at annual exams w/ your GP so you have a baseline. I wouldn't worry...I'm sure everything is fine! I know every test is stressful though when your carrying a life inside you!

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Funny enough I never gave it a thought when I was pg with ds 3 years ago...just went and got it done. I didn't worry about much of anything then though...except delivery. This time I seem to worry more...maybe cause I sleep less (due to ds waking in the night) or because I hac a m/c in May or because I have a new doctor from last time...or because I read too much on line and question everything now!!!
RELAX...EVERYONE...just relax...we will all make it through just fine and have beautiful babies to show for it!!!

Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 PM   #6
Veteran

Jessthemess HB User

The actual act of getting it drawn was the worst for me. Watching my blood literally shoot into viles was a little unsettling.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat View Post
I had the same concerns! I was completely freaked out about the HIV portion - it was optional, but I elected to have it done. Still sucked though I waited a week and then went to my doctors office and asked for a copy of my labs! I couldn't wait for my next appointment Chances are everything will be peachy, so try not to worry. Truthfully, though, the more knowledge we have about our body, the better.
I just found out I'm pregnant, and I'm pretty scared about all these blood tests too.
My biggest fear right now is going to my first prenatal visit, getting my bloodwork done, and them telling me something is seriously wrong.
I guess this comes from not having regular doctor checkups over the years (I was uninsured for 15 years, up til recently).
It just seems like when you neglect your health for that long, surely something is wrong, and you just don't know it yet.
Then again, I'm not that old, I'm not overweight, and I feel pretty healthy (with the exception of headaches and fatigue sometimes, but that could be because I consume a lot of caffeine).
So probably everything will be okay.

I am scared of the HIV test. In my state, they're supposed to basically force it on you; it's not "optional", it's part of your routine bloodwork, unless you actively opt out of it. And if you opt out, they test your baby at birth, so one way or the other, you're not going to escape finding out if you have hiv (why would anyone want to not know if they had it? If you're asking that question, you've obviously never met someone with severe health anxiety).

I used to worry about HIV a lot; I had some risky encounters when i was younger.
But I've been tested twice- once, about a year after the last of these encounters, and again, about seven years after. Negative both times. I can't tell you what it cost me, mentally and emotionally, to go in and get those tests and then wait for the results. I'm sure each wait took ten years off my life. My anxiety got so bad at one point that I was seriously considering suicide, because I was too afraid to hear my results, which i was sure would be bad.
But, anyway, i was negative.
And I never, never, never-never-never want to go through having to get tested again. I promised myself I'd never.

But now that I'm pregnant it looks like I will have to go through it again, and although I'm pretty sure I'm negative... you just never know, do you?
For all I know, my husband's cheated on me during the intervening years, exposing me to risk yet again. I really have no idea.
I don't want to go through these blood tests, I don't!
It's making me want to forgo prenatal care entirely, which i know would be dangerous, at my age (any pregnancy over age 35 is considered inherently "high risk").

I already feel sorry for my future OB/GYN. She is going to think I'm crazy.
And she'll be right, lol.

Closed Thread