It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User
Unhappy teeth pain and advil liqui-gel

Hi, I'm 15 weeks and for the past three days I have had a HORRIBLE headache that NOTHING will take away. I have also been having UNBELIEVABLE pain where my wisdom teeth on the WHOLE left side of my mouth are. And its not just the "wisdom" teeth, it's at least 6 teeth on both the top and bottom. This pain is killing me! my cheek is swollen and i can't even open my mouth enough to eat! I have been using ora gel but it says you can only use it 4 times a day, which sux!! tylenol hasnt even been numbing the pain so last night I took 1 advil liqui-gel ( I know...I know...But I was in so much pain!) and I felt 200% better, but I also felt a little out of it. I finally got some good sleep and didnt have to keep waking up cuz of pain. Do you think I hurt the baby in some way by taking the advil? I just didnt know what else to do
I don't have dental coverage so i really cant go see a dentist, and i dont even know if he could do anything for me since i am pregnant. I guess if it is still hurting really bad by monday I will have to break down and visit one and just pay him off in payments. I dont know what else to do?
Has anyone ever gone through something like this and you and baby turned out fine? any responses are appreciated! Thank you so much ladies!!

Old 10-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
Re: teeth pain and advil liqui-gel

I have headaches that can only be cured by Advil LG's, so my doctor approved me to use them sparingly. I would not recommend this to anyone without talking to your doctor first. Talk to your OBGYN and see what he/she says.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

If it has ibuprophen in it , it is a different no no!!!! My dr under no circumstances would let me take motrin cause of the affects it has on the artreries around the fetal heart! Tylenol only ( extra strength is ok)

Old 10-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

When I was 10 weeks pregnant in a matter of hours I had the WORST tooth ache ever imaginable. I went to the dentist and it turned out to be an absess that was about to burst. I ended up getting an emgerncy root cannal.

Don't mess around with your teeth. If you have an infection, the infection will be far worse for the baby then any pain killer you take.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

OMG I had no idea!! Do you think I could've done much harm to my baby since I only took 1 my whole pregnancy? I feel so horrible. Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll just take my pain for the next 5 months

Old 10-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

Thanks for the advice North_of_60 . I will visit a dentist next week but I think it's just more of my wisdom teeth coming in, I looked up symptoms of a tooth abscess and I dont have those, I do have wisdom teeth symptoms though. Either way I will get it done next week. Thanks

Old 10-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

An infection in your mouth will do a lot more damage to the baby than advil. Go to the dentist and explain your financial situation, they will put you on a payment plan.
Letting dental stuff go can cause birth defects and even still birth.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

definatley wanna take care of any oral infection, it can lead to sepsis ( infection in the blood) as far as you having done damage dont panic Im sure its fine if you only had 1

Old 10-15-2005, 01:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

Thanks so much for the replies!! My toothache is gone today (HORRAY!! ) But I am still going to go to a dentist on Monday to have it looked at. Hopefully it will be something simple that can be easily fixed (fingers crossed!)

Thank you guys!!

Old 10-16-2005, 05:30 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I had a lot of backpain before I knew I was pg with ds and took Aleeve...when I found out I was pg I was freaked about this but my doc said small amounts of drugs like that on one occurence will likely have no effect at all.
Later with that pregnancy I got a the virus that causes cold sores (yes that would be the herpes virus) and had so many cold sores, a fever of 102.5 and pain so bad I cried all the time. The ER doctor told me that even morphine wouldn't touch that kind of pain because I was nerve based. He insisted I take tylenol to get my fever down (which took a while) and told me that you are allowed 8 500 mg tablets of extra strength tylenol a day and can consiser that safe.
However he also told me that I should not use ora gel but if I absolutely had to I should use the baby/kids oragel as it was safer.
Any book I've read says that oral health is extremely important when pg as the mouth has so many germs in it that can get into your bloodstream and hurt the baby. They recommend you see a dentist at least once during your pregnancy for a cleaning and check up.
Hope you feel better soon.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

it is important to get your teeth looked at regularly in pregnancy that is why in the uk pg women get free dental care right up until their child is 1 year old. I went to the dentist last week as i though i had an infection coming he said gargle with listerine mouth wash and if it gets worse he would give me antibiotics but he did think it was getting better by itself and it has started to. but if you get an infection the antibiotics as far as i know are safer than to allow the infection to spread or get worse. hope you feel better soon.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

Thanks guys for everything I feel so much better and I think my babe is just fine in there, but I'll still be running to the dentist tomorrow!LOL!
Weepy if you dont mind can you please tell me any symptoms you had to make you think you had an infection? I wish I was in the uk cause dentists over here are very expensive. I think I'm going to go and talk to the dentist that I take my clients too as she is familiar with me and she is very nice. I hope there is no infection but if there is Im glad it will be taken care of soon.
Once again thanks everyone!!

Old 10-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

steph
i have a tiny little flap of skin by my right bottom wisdom tooth and it got red and was sore if i touched it when brushing my teeth. In the past i had bad wisdom tooth infections here to the point on one occassion i could barely open my mouth at least it seems i caught it quickly this time and a scale and polish from the dentist and my mouthwash are keeping it at bay so far thank goodness.

Closed Thread