It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
35 weeks pregnant and menstrual like cramps

I just started experiencing menstrual like cramps earlier today. My hip, lower back and my lower abdomen is sore. Its been a while since I had these pains, but it really feels like I'm getting my period. Any thoughts about what this could be? Normal aches and pains of pregnancy or should I call my doctor? I hate calling over little things that may be nothing. But, if it is something, I know I should call.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

SpringDaisys HB User
Re: 35 weeks pregnant and menstrual like cramps

Start timing them! Menstrual like cramps is a common way for contractions to be described. I know that's how I described them after my first two children. Good luck and keep us updated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
Start timing them! Menstrual like cramps is a common way for contractions to be described.
WHAT?!?!? Are you sure? Okay, maybe I should call the doctor, although I don't think she is in the office right now. Should I be concerned being I am only 35 weeks?

Old 10-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Please let me know what they say. They may have an emergency number or after hours line you can call. I paged my doctor when I lost my mucus plug the first time and he was so sweet about it! I was so embarassed that it was nothing but they expect to receive calls like that.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I called and they don't have an after hours number. They said if you are more than 20wks pregnant proceed to the triage department in the hospital. I'm not going to the hospital over this. In my book, "What to Expect..." It classifies this as preterm labor, if that is what it is. So, I will just note the time and pay attention to how I am feeling. And Of course call my mom for advise.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
(female)

KSAS HB User

keep us in the know if you can

Old 10-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Does everyone think this is prelabor? How long do you go through prelabor before labor actually begins? I ignored it earlier in the week, but I was having quite a bit of pressure in the groin, buttocks area. Today I experienced some loose stool as well. Please, this is my first, so if there is any info you experienced woman can give me, please don't hesitate.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
(female)

kackle HB User

If you are really concern about the pain you should call your doctor or hospital. It sounds like prelabor, but at this moment, would you rather wait it out or seek medical care? It all depends on how you feel and what you feel is right.

Jen

Old 10-19-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB UserBarbaraH HB User

Hi Roxyfoxy -

Lots of babies come at 35 weeks, so don't blow this feeling you have off as nothing. Books don't apply to every situation. Hope your mother is a nurse, too!

It's incomprehensible that an OB doctor has no "in case of emergency", "on call", or "after hours" phone number. That would open him up for lawsuits galore. There is a way to contact the doctor. If nothing else, call L&D and ask who is on call for your doctor. L&D surely knows who is on call and how to reach him/her. If it turns out that there is no doctor covering for your doctor, call the doctor's office tomorrow and raise Cain! That is malpractice.

If the time between your cramps is 5 minutes or less, go to L&D for evaluation. Your baby is the most important life at this time, so forget the book!

Wishing you well - Barbara

Old 10-19-2005, 04:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I am in Canada, so I believe things are different due to the free health care, which sucks by the way. They want me to go directly to triage in the event of emergency, I do not feel, however, that this is an emergency. I haven't had one of those cramps since 5:30. I will call the doctor tomorrow and let her know everything and get her opinion.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #11
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

I'm 35 weeks and just went through this Monday. I had been having menstrual cramps all day and I went to the bathroom and when I wiped I had some pink and red blood on the toilet paper. I freaked out and called the dr. They told me to come in. They checked the baby and my cervix and told me I was fairly thick and I was probably losing my mucous plug. The cramps were not anything that could be timed. I'm still having them today. They are sporadic and I'm not worrying too much because the dr said it was normal. I would call your dr and be sure though just to be on the safe side. What is okay for me is not necessarrily okay for every other woman. I do think you need to get checked out either tonight or tomorrow morning if your still having them.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Thank you all for your advice. I will be calling the doctor first thing in the morning. As I said, I haven't had them since 5:30, but I don't feel going to the hospital is necessary. The baby has been active as usual today so I know he is fine. Thidagirl, did your doctor say when he thinks you will have the baby?

Old 10-19-2005, 07:03 PM   #13
(female)

Karen62705 HB User

I was 39 weeks 4 days when I began having Menstural like cramps. It started in the early afternoon around 3....at around 6 i had a small amount of bleeding after using the bathroom, and at 630 I lost my mucus plug completly. It was a Sunday so I had to talk to the answering service at my doctors office, they phoned my Doctor who called me back and said I should head to the hospital just to be checked. 6 hours later my DS was born!

Old 10-19-2005, 07:06 PM   #14
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

He told me he thinks I will make it full term. I'm not so sure though. I just have a feeling. I also think the baby dropped today. My belly is not as full at the top as it usually is and I've been having loose bowel movements. Whether or not that has to do with anything, I don't know. They did tell me that if he was born at 35 weeks he would most likely be very healthy. That is very good to know.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #15
(female)

missTee HB User

Loose bowel movements is a sign of pre labor. So isn't cramps as you have described. It doesn't necessarily mean you will give birth tonight, but it is something to watch and you should just get checked out. Never think you are being silly. When it comes to the health of you or your baby always check. I was in labor for 21 hours with my first (is this your first, it sounds like it) I had spotting about 1 week before she was born (mucus plug) I also had cramps. First labor takes a looong time (most often, but no pregnancy is the same!) My second baby, I never went into labor, he was a week late, they induced me and still nothing. They broke my water and with in 1 hour he was fighting his way through. Good luck!!!!

Closed Thread