It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
(female)

lismark HB User
Flu Shot & face wash Question

I am 14 weeks pregnant and I heard it was recommended to get the flu shot. I have never had the flu or the flu shot. I am a teacher and I think my tolerance of sicknesses has been pretty good, but my sister in law said that if I do get the flu it is even worse when you are pregnant, I'm not sure if she is exaggerating... I guess if it is a threat to the baby then that would be my only reason for getting it... Is anyone else getting the shot?
Also, when I found out, I was told not to use face washes or creams that had vit a, and salycilic acid in it? Anyone else told that? It is hard to find a face wash like that! Especially since I am breaking out! Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lex jude HB User
Re: Flu Shot & face wash Question

I was never told anything about the face wash...hmmm. Interesting. Check with your doctor because a lot of those "I heard..." things are just old wives tales. I used them if it makes you feel better and my DS is just fine!

As for the flu shot....when I was pregnant during the flu season I didn't get the shot. I DID get sick however, and yea it did suck. But any cold you are gonna get is gonna suck. I mean the flu shot only protects you for certains strains of flu. You can get it for extra protection, but I would suggest just being careful, wash your hands a lot and take your prenantals. When you do get sick (and you will at least once) it will be aweful....but you'll be ok. It'll make you miserable, but it won't hurt your baby. They are pretty much protected in your belly there (plus, I got sick two times, and the second time your body is ready for it, and it isn't so bad.)

In other words....it's up to you really. Just take care of yourself if you DO get sick, drink plenty of fluids, and you'll be ok <3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

skeetersquirt HB User

I just had my 20 week checkup and my Dr. scheduled me for my flu shot. He said being pregnant I am at higher risk and need one. I have NEVER even had one.

As far as face wash, I have been told not to use salasylic acid, but have never heard the vit.A thing before. All of myface washes that I use are free of sal. acid, but do have vit. A.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

Karen62705 HB User

I got a flu shot last year while I was pregnant. 80% of pregnant women with the flu end up in the hospital up to a week due to Dehydration. The flu can take a toll on a Normal healthy persons body, so imagine being pregnant with the flu. Some say getting a flu shot increases the risk of the baby developing schizophrenia when older. I personally couldn't find enough research to back this up. I was also working at a bank at the time, and we all know how flithy is!!! SO I was not going to take any chances, and decided to get the shot. I got another one this year, because it's recommended for caregivers of infants under 6 months old. DS is now 4 months.
Talk to your doctor about it, and have him/her discuss the pros and cons with you.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

My midwife and ob's office was offering the flu shot...I got it as it is very recommended while pregnant. You are considered in the high risk catergory if pg. And yes, if you get the flu it is a lot worse then if you are not pg. It can also protect your baby when your baby is born, if it will be born during flu season. I did some internet research on the flu vaccine while pregnant and learned info that way. Personally, I would recommend getting it, but its up to you. My clinic offers it to everyone and if you deny it then you have to sign something to say you denied it. You also have to sign to say whether you accepted it.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Saylicilic acid and retinol A are both class c drugs, which should NOT be used during pregnancy unless under the supervision of a doctor.

It's best to switch to something that does not contain these drugs. I'm an acne sufferer (even worse with pregnancy) and I'm LOVING the Dove foaming face washes.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Before you get the flu shot think about it becouse they have thermisol in the (mercury). it can be harmful to your baby

Old 10-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #8
(female)

Karen62705 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaboyz
Before you get the flu shot think about it becouse they have thermisol in the (mercury). it can be harmful to your baby

I am in the U.S. and when I asked my doctor about thirmosel she said they no longer give any vacinations that contain it and most manufacturers stopped using it some time ago.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Is it okay to get the shot at 36 weeks? I wasn't going to get one but if it protects the baby during the flu season, then I will definitely get it.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I had to get flu shots up until last year when I was in the Navy, but now this year I didn't get one. I rarely get sick or get a cold. I am not worried about it. As for the face wash the Dove soap is dermatologist recommened, they have the foaming cloths now. I have always seen a dermatologist and Dove is good because it doesn't have prefumes and dyes in it like many other wash washes

Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 AM   #11
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen62705
I am in the U.S. and when I asked my doctor about thirmosel she said they no longer give any vacinations that contain it and most manufacturers stopped using it some time ago.
Actually thats partly true. They arent suspose to be making vaccinations with it in them anymore. But many states are using all the ones they had left first. weird huh? But true. And the flu shot contains mercury. You can ask for a special one that doesnt have it in it but from what Ive heard they are hard to come by. I know these things becouse I have a disabled child that was vaccine injured. So I jusat try and let people be aware. Also some people when they were pg have to have the Rogam shot well guess what its got mercury in it too.

Last edited by mommaboyz; 10-24-2005 at 04:31 AM.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:13 PM   #12
(female)

lismark HB User

Thanks for all the help! Its a tough decision for me! I will try to Dove, it sounds good... Thanks!

Old 10-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #13
Veteran

sickofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_60
Saylicilic acid and retinol A are both class c drugs, which should NOT be used during pregnancy unless under the supervision of a doctor.
I've never heard that and this is my second pregnancy. I know that you're not supposed to use anything with accutane and retinol A...

Okay, I just did a search and the American Pregnancy Association says not to use salicylic acid - so now I'm kind of freaking out because I've used it in my face wash everyday of my 13wks and 1day.

You would think with all of the DOs and DON'Ts you're given during pregnancy that they would mention that since it's in soooo many face washes!

Last edited by sickofit; 10-25-2005 at 09:06 AM.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Thimerasol contains mercury so if you have one you have the other. There are according to my research 4 different brands of flu shots. Two have none at all - Fluarix by GSK and FluMist (the nasal spray). One does have - Fuvirin by Chiron.
And the last one - Fluzone - has none in the prefilled version but does in the 10 dose vial. Hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofit
You would think with all of the DOs and DON'Ts you're given during pregnancy that they would mention that since it's in soooo many face washes!
My doctor mentioned it on my first appointment. It's on my "do not use" list.

Maybe you need to talk with your doctor about a more thorough explanation about what you're not allowed to use?

Closed Thread