It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User
Question Braxton Hicks, or Contractions???

Help! Okay, here's what's happening...

I am 15w3d pg, and have been feeling what I thought was braxton hicks for about 4 days now. They have seemed worse the past two days, though. I finally gave in and called my midwife just for an opinion, and she told me it's too early for braxton hicks (though not impossible), but as long as I didn't feel 4 or more in one hour, I should be just fine.

Well, that was an hour and a half ago, and since then I have been counting. I've had 4 in the hour and a half (three in one hour). Should I still be worried? I'm going to keep counting for another hour or two before I call back, but I just wanted some opinions.

By the way, these are mentrual like cramps that can sometimes get pretty painful. I haven't had trouble going to the toilet (tmi), and everything else is pretty much normal.

Any opinions? Thanks so much!!!

Amanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User
Re: Braxton Hicks, or Contractions???

hiya
i did not think bh hurt that much maybe it is best to get checked out but the pain could be normal stretching, from a uti, constipation all sorts of reasons but at least if you get seen it will out your mind a t rest. hope things ease soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I had braxton hicks at 16 weeks, so its not impossible. Mine did stop me in my tracks as the discomfort was pretty bad, but I wouldn't say painful.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Braxton Hicks actually START at 6 weeks, but it's not until later that you're able to feel them. And even then some women never do feel them. It's not impossible, in fact, that's odd that your midwife would have told you it's too early, because it's not!!

Old 10-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Thank you so much.

I have been timing them, and they are all sooo spuratic. I'll have 4 one hour, none the next, and then 2 the third. It's like that all day. My midwife is not concerned. She says unless I see spotting, or go to 7 an hour, to not fret and try to stay off my feet. Thank you all for the opinions. I am still having them, though.

But I go in for my 16wk appointment Thursday. So if everything is the same then, I will ask her to check me out.

Amanda

Old 10-25-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

I'm confused... she tells you not to worry unless there are over 4 an hour and when they become that frequent she says, "oh don't worry unless they become 7 or more and hour." I'm not sure that she knows what she's talking about sweetie. But I'm a freak and I am cautious about everything.

When I get my BHC's they only last for a couple of minutes and then hours later I may feel more. I am lucky I guess

Last edited by Mommie-2-B; 10-25-2005 at 02:03 PM.

Old 10-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

BH can definitely start that early. I have had a few in the past week or so (I am 17wks). BH aren't always painful either. BH can be as simple as your uterus tightening - it feels tight because it is contracting. I have had this, although not very uncomfortable yet and not painful yet. I did an internet search to get some info about BH, which is what made me realize the random tightening I feel is BH. It happened just a few times randomly when I am laying down.

I would definitely try to take it easy. Women who are having frequent BHs are normally told to relax a bit...take it more easy. Of course, if they are still more frequent then you will have to be checked out in case you are in jeopardy of preterm labor.

Good luck at your appt. Let us know how it goes!

Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Thanks to ALL!

I was also very confused when I called the nurse back and said, "Okay, I've timed them, and I'm having 4 some hours." And then when she said, "Well, the doctor isn't really concerned until it goes to about 6 or 7 an hour or so." I was like, uh, what?! I am still feeling them. I ate pizza for dinner last night, and the hour after I ate, I felt 5!!! But it's not like that every hour. Some hours I will have only 1 or 2. And not all of them are painful. Some just feel like tightening. But some stop me dead in my tracks, and I have to sit down. I have been frightening my DH b/c when I have a bad one, I grab my belly without thinking.

I am a stay at home mom, and have good chances of laying down throughout the day. So unless my Dr seems concerned, I will not worry too much. Especially since I am having an appointment to see her tomarrow anyway. Unless they get unbearable, I will just continue to rest, and will let you all know tomarrow what she says.

Thank you again, and if anyone has any more suggestions from my more recent happenings, feel free to post. I would love to hear more opinions

Thanks again!!!

Amanda

Closed Thread