It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User
Frank Breech

I just went to my ultrasound today and found out the baby is frank breech. His butt is at the bottom and head and feet are at the top, in the shape of a "V". I'm 36 weeks and wondering if anybody has experienced this where the baby has actually turned head down in time for delivery. I'm pretty sure when I see the doctor in 2 days she will say we have to schedule a section because of his positioning.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #2

jriegel HB User
Re: Frank Breech

I am only 6 weeks in to my first pregnancy, but I have been reading a book called "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" - she's one of the top midwives in America and the book is essentially about the amazing ability a woman's body has to cope with and accomodate and experience labor, and I just read a story in there this morning about a woman, about as far along as you, whose baby was breech and she talked to her baby and encouraged her to turn around the right way and she did. Ina May has seen this happen many times (she's been a registered nurse since at least the sixties and a midwife since the 70's, and has been present if not delivered at over 200,000 births. She lives in a community in southern TN called The Farm - a self-sufficient community that has existed since the 70's that is essentially to help women give birth).

Anyway, if anything give that a try. Tell your baby how much you love him, you're excited to meet him face to face, and encourage him to turn for you so that you and he can have an easier labor. It's worth trying.

Last edited by jriegel; 10-24-2005 at 02:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

if u read about 10kdilsey, her baby was breech and she was going in for a csection to find out her baby was head down and she ended up having a natural labor... take a look at her post!

Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
(female)

10kDilsey HB User

Hey Roxy! I too had a Frank breech baby when I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks and my doctor thought (at the time) that she had an excellent chance of turning since it was my second baby. Apparently second and subsequent babies get into position later in the pregnancy. So if this is your first the chances are lesser of it turning but if it is your second or so on then they are greater.

Also, height plays a part in this too. At six feet tall my baby had way too much room to move around and basically did flips for the last four weeks of my pregnancy. But if you are tall as well the good news is that they have plenty of room to move back.

I had my baby turned manually and the process is uncomfortable but not terrible. If your doctor wants to try I would go for it. Mine turned back to breech two hours after she was turned though so keep in mind that if she has the room she may just go back. Just don't let that chance discourage you from trying.

When I asked my doctor if there was a cause she said that babies just get into these positions with no rhyme or reason. Perhaps it is a comfort issue like you mentioned?

I was scheduled for a c-section before my due date, and I was just like you: I was bummed about having one but did not want to take any chances either. If I were you I would ask your doctor about turning the baby and then inducing, maybe she will work with you on that. Hopefully your baby will turn naturally (mine did) and you will have a story like mine!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 10-24-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

This is my first baby and I am 5'7. My doctor thinks it is very slim that he will turn (that was at my last appointment 2 weeks ago) but there is a possibility.

I was discouraged at the fact of having a cesarean, but now I am okay with it. My mom is coming on the 19th, my due date is the 21st, being she is so far away and doesn't have much money to come often, I want to make sure she spends time with me and baby. If I have the section it will be 1 week before my due date which would be good for my situation.

Besides that, I suffered a severely fractured pelvis and sacrum 4 yrs ago, so going through the whole labor and delivery process may prove to be exruciating and tough. So, given my situation, and I have thought about it often, maybe a c-section won't be so bad for me.

I am going to ask the doctor about the version, but I will not press the issue if she isn't comfortable with it. I want things to be as natural as possible. If I'm meant to deliver naturally, I will, if not, I won't.

As for the comfort issue, I read...(can't remember where) that babies tend to put the largest part of their bodies in the largest areas of the uterus. If for some reason or another the largest part is not at the bottom, then naturally the baby finds more comfort with its head up top. I believe placenta previa and a few other conditions could cause this as well as a narrow pelvis. My pelvis did shift after the injuries sustained, so I am guessing maybe he has no room down there, but I am just guessing that. The doctor says she simply doesn't know. She wouldn't know unless I went through labor to the pushing phase.

I will see my doc. on Wed, which I can't wait for. I think my boy is pretty big given the size of his cheeks in the ultrasound, I can't wait to find out how big from the doctor. Also, if he isn't going to turn, I want my c-section within the next couple of weeks because his feet are putting a lot of pressure under my ribs and I can't take it anymore!! I can't breathe, I can't eat, I can't sit comfortable at all! Isn't it interesting how these little people can get into a position such as frank breech? I mean the feet and head are right next to each other! How crazy is that!!

Old 10-26-2005, 05:29 AM   #6
(female)

10kDilsey HB User

Roxy, good luck with the birth of your son. It sounds like you have a great attitude about the whole thing which will probably prove to be the most important part about delivery whether it's via c-section or vaginal.

If you are getting into the mindset for a c-section, I wish all the best to you and a speedy recovery. I know what you mean about getting geared up for something... the plus side of the c-section is that you will know exactly when you will have the baby in addition to the fact that you will not have to go all the way to your due date!

Old 10-26-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I am back from the doctors and now I am very scared. The baby is pretty large for dates, I measure at 37.5 weeks because of his size. She says 8-9lbs, but its not a sure thing of course. We are scheduling a c-section at 39 weeks since he is still frank breech and doesn't appear to have room to turn at this point. What concerns me is that the doctor mentioned there is a chance he could have hip problems. Due to the fact that he has been breech for sometime, he is most likely not getting much movement in his legs. Apparently the hip sockets MAY not be bale to fuse. She said there is a chance, not definitive, but I am still very scared about this.

Does anybody know about this condition? Please, give me all of the info you can because I am very scared right now. I can't help but think I could of done something to avoid this.

Closed Thread