It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User
Question Anxiety/Depression and Pregnancy

Hey everyone. I am new here so please help me as much as you can. I just found out about a month ago that I was pregnant. As of today, I am 8 weeks, 4 days pregnant. Before I found out I was pregnant, I was on Klonopin and Lexpro for anxiety (severe) and depression (mild). My fiancee' and I have been together for 4 years and we decided to get married when we found out we were expecting. Neither one of us were planning on starting a family so soon. I know this has an impact on my fiancee' but I feel selfish thinking that it has a greater impact on me. I feel smothered all of a sudden. I had to change meds for my anxiety and depression and I feel as though they are not working at all. Is it normal to feel so depressed when everyone else thinks you should be happy? I am nauseous constantly and I feel aggravated that my once healthy appetite is now nil. I think that is one of the reasons I am so depressed. My future MIL knows that I am having a hard time but I can't exactly tell her how I feel. Everyone is so happy and I keep finding myself so scared and anxious that I can't feel happy. Has anyone ever felt this way when they first found out about a new baby and does it ever pass? I am so glad I found this board. I've looked around and I think that it could help me alot.

Sorry so long. I just needed to get a lot off my chest.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:02 AM   #2
(female)

Sliminside HB User
Re: Anxiety/Depression and Pregnancy

Hi welcome to the board, first let me tell you i`m 37 weeks pregnant with my second baby, this one was a bit of a surprise to us also as i`m 40 and hubby is 42 so we hadnt planned on having anymore, what really surprised me was that the feelings you describe i had to with this baby, althought its my 2nd it was a real shock to me and it took me a long time to come to terms with it, we never told anyone till i was 14 weeks and i found out at 5 weeks, i cant help you with the meds as i`ve never been on any sorry, but all i can say is hang on in there try and find a friend you can talk to and if not come on here and have a really good moan, its still early days for you but take my word for it you will come to terms with it and hopefully move on to loving being pregnant, best of luck oh and another great web site is just mommies the support is also great on that site to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 05:29 AM   #3
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

Thank you. It feels good to find someone who has had the same feelings I have had. Atleast I know that I am not alone.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Hi and welcome! I am one onf the few paople on this board that has anxiety, Im 25 weeks and I too found that pregnancy exacerbated my anxiety, I have heard of some women who's anxiety completley goes away, this was was NOT the case for me. I dont suffer from depression, I mean maby a little but nothing to be medicated for, but I do get panick attacks that have been worse during pregnancy, especially in the beginning, so dont freak out it is normal, and I wish I could say it is gonna get better, mine comes in waves but Im trying to keep a handle on it through prayer, anyhow, what your feeling is normal not just cause you have anxiety and depression ut just becasue your pregnant, when I feel down I go buy something fo the baby to try to help my lift my spirits

Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

I am in tears right now. I guess it is partly because I am relieved and partly because I have been on the verge of tears all day. The doctor put me on Wellbutrin but it just seems like it doesn't work. It's worse when I am at home b/c my fiancee' is out of state helping clean up after the hurricanes (we live in hurricane alley and we were barely missed by Katrina). That is the worse part. I always expected that I would have someone with me at night to help comfort me but I don't. None of my friends have babies so I can't really talk to them. They just seem like they don't understand. I started a journal but I can't seem to get started writing in it. I guess I am scared of what I will put in there. For some reason I feel better in this board than I do in my journal. A little crazy huh? Thank you for your thoughts. I feel much better, even though I'm crying like a baby.

Valerie S--are you taking anything for your anxiety? If not, how do you control it? The doc has me on buspar but its nothing compared to the klonopins (which have horrible withdrawals!!)

Last edited by may/junemom2be; 10-26-2005 at 06:47 PM.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Before I answer the med wuestion let me just say that I know all about being alone , my husnabd was gone away for basic training when I was pregnant for our first child and then gone for a year after the birth of our second, gone overseas so I know how you feel, when he was gone overseas was the WORST time for me and my anxiety, I didnt think I would get out of that hole, and for the better half of the year I didnt, however I started going to church and before I knew it I was this independent anxiety/depression free woman raing these two small kids alone! it was so empowering. That lasted for a long time and then alot f stressful things happpend about a year after he came home which sent me right back into a tiny tailspin, not at all as bad as it was but bad enough....I have tried medication but to me the panic attacke felt beter than the side effects, so I turned to prayer and reading all I cant to further educate myself on this disorder, I started seeing a counsellor and a cognitive behavioural therapist, in time it has gotten better, I found that even though we were TTC when I got preggo I felt really trapped and at times I still feel that way, but I know that those feelings are normal and I try to take time out when Im feeling that way to really recognoze what is going on usually it is something else bothering me..dealing with anxiety is work you hae to take time to feel your emotions and deal with them ,and if IM having a panic attack it is usually cause I haven taken the time to feel the real emotion behind it ,whether it be sadness, anger, frustraton or pain normal fear, dont worry it will get better but you have to take the initiative to find out why you feel this way journaling helped me alot, I never reread it but I love to write, it helps and is theraputic at the same time. There have been times I have had some really off the wall thoughts that I though if somene knew what I was thinking..Oh god but its all part of it and it goes away, and comes back but I know this now, if you ever wanna chat just post a thread Im here, I know how you feel!

Old 10-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
(female)

kittyke HB User

I just wanted to give you hug !!! I am not preg. or trying YET, but I do want to this is what is keeping me from it - my anxiety - I am on Lexapro and Xanax, I know I should have them both out of my system when TTC but i am scared to stop everything, I think being preg. and having anxiety will be torture for me and I am scared to try.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Valerie_s HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyke
I just wanted to give you hug !!! I am not preg. or trying YET, but I do want to this is what is keeping me from it - my anxiety - I am on Lexapro and Xanax, I know I should have them both out of my system when TTC but i am scared to stop everything, I think being preg. and having anxiety will be torture for me and I am scared to try.
If your afraid to try your ltting your anxiety run your life and one day you'll live to regret it, somepeoples anxiety goes away during pregnancy

Old 10-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Hi, I know how you feel! I have SUFFERED with anxiety for 6 years! I have tried hypnotherapy,behavior therapy, read books, counseling and finally meds. I was on prozac,seroquel,xanax,klonopin,effexor, and finally lexapro! I have tried it all and lexapro is really all that worked for me. I went off it before I got pregnant, I am dealing with anxiety very bad! constant, I hate being alone! I am thinking of trying zoloft witch is considered safe for pregnancy,I am still in counseling. I am 16 weeks pregnant. I also have really bad health anxiety. It is hard I know! just know that your not alone we are here to help you through this! and you will get through! We can support eachother because anxiety is terrible! it really is, it gets in the way of everything. we deserve to be happy and as your little one continues to grow so will your smile! Take care
Carly

Old 10-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #10
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

Thank you so much everyone!!!!

To worrywort-- I was advised not to go on Zoloft b/c it has not been classified as a class C drug. I am on Buspar, which is a Class B, and thankfully, it does not have any side effects and it helps a little.

I've had anxiety for over 6 years and I think, right now, one of the hardest parts is thinking about the future and how I will be as a mother. Everyone sasys that it will be second nature but of course I have my doubts. It really helps to be able to talk to ppl who really understand and who can give me great advice. I will return the favor two-fold because although I am extremely depressed and worried, I get satisfaction from helping people who are going through a hard time. I guess that is why it is so hard for me right now. I am so used to being the one who gives, not takes advice. I like being the helper. I guess that will come in handy when I become a mother. I am already getting used to saying that. I am going to be a MOMMY!! I guess it just takes time.

Thank you again everyone. For everything. I thank god I found this place.

To Kittyke--> Valerie is right. Don't let your anxiety stand in your way. It will be hard but, although I am going through it right now, I know it will be worth it. The hardest time is when you are alone, but that is when you get the best thinking done. This board will help and talking to ppl really gets a lot off of your chest.

Thanks for listening (or reading). I'm going to start calling ya'll my "living journal"

Old 10-27-2005, 11:10 PM   #11
(female)

petalz HB User

I was on meds for anxiety and secondary depression for 13 years prior to my pregnancy. I went off meds during the pregnancy and the anxiety was actually better off the meds. However after the birth of my daughter my anxiety went thru the roof and was at the height of severity as it was 13 years ago. I'm back on my meds for anxiety and PPD. My doctor thinks my hormones wrecked havoc with me.Remember having a child can be one of the most scariest things in the world. I was the most terrified after the prenatal classes. I had several friends who were pregnant within a month or two of me and they also were scared and they do not have an anxiety disorder. I think the concept of parenthood is scary for all first time parents. Trust me when you hear your child's cry for the first time it will be the best moment of your life. Congratualtions and I hope you have a safe and happy pregnancy and delivery.

Old 10-28-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

my/junemom, I have never taken buspar. I have a very high tolerance due to past drug use when I was younger. xanax or klonopin has never done anything for me neither did ativan. My doc assured me about zoloft and so did my psych. it is also on my list of things safe to take as well as prozac. I didn't like prozac made me very sick. thanks, I will look more into it before taking it, I would never want to harm my child.
Carly

Old 10-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #13
(female)

may/junemom2be HB User

Carly, sorry, I did not want to come off as being a know-it-all. I just know that I welcome any advice about meds that anyone can give me. I have never seen a psych, although sometimes I feel as though it would help me. If you hear anything else about zoloft, let me know. Every doc has different opinions and maybe there is literature online that I have not found yet. When I was getting off the Klonopin, I seriously though I was going nuts but I endured it. My equilibrium was WAY off. My doc sent me home for 2 days because I couldn't eat, sleep or even clean my own house. Everytime I stood up I would get dizzy and feel sick to my stomach. It took about 2 weeks for the withdrawals to subside. If a doctor ever suggests that medication REFUSE!! I know everyone reacts differently to meds but I regretted ever taking the chance of taking them.

I hope I helped.

Brandi

Old 10-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

oh no hon, you didn't sound like a know it all! I welcome your advice for I wouldn't want to take anything to harm my child! I have an appt. with my psych on thurs. It is good, I have had my gp give me meds before but they don't know much about them, I prefer someone who specializes in the meds and be monitored on them. I never really dealt with withdrawl, lexapro was a breeze to get off. thanks again!!
Carly

Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

may/junemomtobe,
I just read your first post and understand the anxiety completely. I've been on meds since I was a teenager and was told I always would be on them--I've done alright not taking them while pregnant thankfully.
What I wanted to say was that possibly part of the difficulty you're having might be due to the m/s...not that you're sick all the time, but when you're not eating, your blood sugar is always low, and you're tired and fatigued, this exacerbates the anxiety/depression tenfold. Getting something in my tummy always calmed me down during the first couple months it was just getting it there that was the problem. I hope you start feeling better soon. Congrats!

Closed Thread