It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
(female)

retrochick HB User
Angry Kinda Offended...

2 weeks ago I had 6 vials of blood drawn for the beginning of my pregnancy.
I decided to go to a different doctor and now they want to draw the same tests of blood...I told them I transfered my labs to their office and they said that'd be fine but they didnt see the HIV test so they have to draw for that.
I had the HIV tested 2 years ago when I had blood drawn for my son, I have been married to my husband for 7 years and I nor my husband have been outside our marriage LOL (sorry it just sounds rediculous). I dont practice risky behaviour or find myself around people who are "at risk".
WHY are they making me do the HIV testing?? It seems kind of insulting to me to have to take the test when I know I dont need it. It was optional at the other hospital...I mean I dont have a problem with taking the test but just who do they think I am?! Quite frankly I hate having blood drawn so if the HIV is the only one I have to get done next week I think i can prove my case to not have it done right? It's a patients right to refuse stuff?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User
Re: Kinda Offended...

Try not to be offended. I don't think they are profiling you, I just think it is standard procedure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

It may be standard procedure, but I don't see why she is obligated to do it. She says she had it done, so why are they making her get it done. I don't have a problem getting blood drawn, but I completely understand if you don't like to get it done. Why get pricked so much when its not necessary.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:49 AM   #4
(female)

thidagirl22 HB User

I've used the same dr for all three of my pregnancies and with each of my pregnancies they did the same tests for each one. It's most likely standard testing and not trying to single you out as pp's have said. I hate having to be stuck with a needle but I figure if they think it's necessary for the safety of my child I go ahead and do it. You said that the last time you were tested was 2 years ago and maybe thats why they want to do it again.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

yes i thought the hiv was optional although it is standard testing you can of course refuse if you are not worried about hiv then tell them so.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran

sickofit HB User

Not sure where you live, but I live in Mass and I know that here they can't MAKE you take an HIV test. Here we have to sign a consent form to have them give it to you. What are they going to say if you just refuse?

Old 10-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
(female)

angelbaby4912 HB User

There is always a chance that you could be wrong. I have known women that found out that their husbands had been unfaithful through tests for STD's. Many of these women did not see this coming, and found out in a really bad way. It may be uncomfortable and a little painful to have a vile of blood drawn, but if it could help protect your baby against a one in a million chance that is may be exposed, why not do it? I too have a hard time having blood drawn because of small veins. I was lucky enough to have been asked if I wanted this test before they started taking the blood, so I only had to be stuck once. I have no reason what so ever to think for one moment that I could have been exposed to HIV or AIDS, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I went to a free clinic with a friend who was scared she had an STD so I went ahead and did the HIV test with her. This was 2 months before I found out I was pregnant, and my DR. still recomended I take it, because I wasn't pregnant then. You always have the right to refuse I thought. But in my situation, (even though I've been with the same person for a few years before we were married) I would rather be safe for my baby than sorry. I can go through a little pain if it means I know my baby is safe.

On the other hand, if you've (you as in everyone including myself) has been tested previously, why go through it again!! Like I said, 2 MONTHS prior to finding out I was pregnant I was tested. That seems a bit rediculous and I HATE WITH A PASSION getting blood drawn.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
(female)

SurpriseMommy HB User

They just want you to do it for the safety of your baby. They don't know you, what your habits are or what your past is like. All they have to go on is your word that you don't have it. If they can save one baby from contracting HIV from its unsuspecting mother just by taking a bit of blood from her, I totally agree with them. I had mine done even though I've only ever been with my husband for my whole life and I'm not a drug user. My baby comes first before my pride.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurpriseMommy
My baby comes first before my pride.
It's not really a pride issue. It's the issue of a family dr who has been your dr for as long as you can remember, knowing your medical history, asking for another test months after the first one was given when the results are negative. I don't understand why that is necessary when for one, they have the results right there, and in someone else's case, they switch dr's transfer lab reports and the clabs lose the results.. No one should have to go through something that makes them truly uncomfortable because of a loss of lab reports when you've had a recent test and already know the results.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #11
(female)

angelbaby4912 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurpriseMommy
They just want you to do it for the safety of your baby. They don't know you, what your habits are or what your past is like. All they have to go on is your word that you don't have it. If they can save one baby from contracting HIV from its unsuspecting mother just by taking a bit of blood from her, I totally agree with them. I had mine done even though I've only ever been with my husband for my whole life and I'm not a drug user. My baby comes first before my pride.
I Agree Totally!!!

Also, has anyone thought about the liability that the dr would face if they didn't test and then the baby was born with HIV. If it is required in some states, then they can't afford to take a chance.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
(female)

tamaraheiner HB User

you do not have to do this test. tell them you refuse b/c you are 100% sure. i know i am. my husband and i were both virgins and we have been with no one else. i would refuse.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

debating HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouge
Try not to be offended. I don't think they are profiling you, I just think it is standard procedure.
No it's not. Mandatory HIV tests haven't bee required since early 90's.

You do not NEED an HIV test. Simply decline it, there's nothing they can do about it.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #14
(female)

momof3cooley HB User

I just went for my testing. And she said since I was married and not with a different partner since my last test I could decline the test. So I did. But it could be since it is a different doctors office.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:33 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

polbilly HB User

its optional at my ob but honestly i dont think that they meant anything by it at all its probably just part of their procedure, maybe since you had drawn it with the other set of tests and it wasnt there they thought that you wanted it done. but i wouldnt take it as anything personal
Jackson James born March 8th 2006

Closed Thread