It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 07:11 AM   #1

theb1971 HB User
? about handling meat while cooking

I have been doing some reading and have a question. I read that handling raw meat puts you at a risk for toxoplasmosis. I handle raw meat while cooking all the time. What is everyones opinions on this and doesnt everyone have to touch it at some point to cook? Please respond I have once again got myself in a tizzy!

Old 10-27-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FirstTimeMomma HB User
Re: ? about handling meat while cooking

Handling raw meat during pregnancy is fine. Just be sure to wash your hands carefully afterwards. Salmonila (sp?) is probably more likely to be a problem. Also, just be sure to wash the knives and cutting boards and countertops really good. Anything that has come into contact with the raw meat. And cook the meat completely. There are so many articles and such out there that can be really scary sometimes...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
(male)

dad_2b HB User
Re: ? about handling meat while cooking

I copied this from another website.

When preparing raw meat, wash any cutting boards, sinks, knives, and other utensils that might have touched the raw meat thoroughly with soap and hot water to avoid cross-contaminating other foods. Wash your hands well with soap and water after handling raw meat.
Cook all meat thoroughly; that is, to an internal temperature of 160° F and until it is no longer pink in the center or until the juices become colorless. Do not taste meat before it is fully cooked.

You could always use tongs to handle the meat. You could also get a box of foodhandlers gloves to wear. I have bought them at Sams Club before and they are not very expensive and come in handy for a variety of uses.

Closed Thread