It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pregnancy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
planned cesarean question..

There's 3 things that I have been wondering about.. First off, is it painful when they put the catheter in?? That seems just.. UGH to me.. Secondly, I know one of the offices nurses said most cesareans are scheduled a week before the delivery date. If the mucous plug has not yet come out, do they just leave it and let it come out whenever?? And thirdly, Do they break your water regularly?? Just curious as to what happens with it, didn't know if they do something while they are in there or what happens...

Old 10-27-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User
Re: planned cesarean question..

The first time i ever had a cath put it in hurt... but when i had the ceseare it didn't hurt... plus once the anethesia hit.. it didn't bother me... then after word you won't want to push to pee anyway and not want them to take it out.

second - after your cecearean you will bleed enough - since you will still have to naturally expell a lot of stuff and contract that the plug will not be an issue.

third - during your cesearan the suction out the amnionitc fluid while taking the baby out.

basically all you have to do is show up, lie there and recover....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

~PJ~ HB User

Ask if it's possible for them to put in your catheter after your epidural is in, then you wont feel a thing

Old 10-27-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

Angela3 HB User

I've had 3 c-sections and with everyone of them they put the catheter in after my epidural, it only hurt a little when they took it out.

During the section they suck out the fluid (bag of water) and clean you out (afterbirth) Sometimes a little gets left behind but it will pass during the first week or two...

I had a little pinch when they gave me the epi but it didnt hurt, personally it felt as though my body was in hot sand.. it felt good.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

How much do you bleed afterwards? Is it as much as when you have a natural birth?

Old 10-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #6
(female)

Angela3 HB User

I bled for a week only, everyone is different though. The last preg a bit of afterbirth was left and i passed 6 clots in that week, but didnt bleed. I bled only the first week and passed clots in the second.

My first two i had no clots and i only bleed in the first week. My friend had natural deliveries and she bleed for 2-3 weeks.

Old 10-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

How about sex after a c-section. Is it recommended to wait 6wks as with natural or not. Being things down there aren't being affected, I would think the time frame would be based on your healing, is that correct?

Old 10-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
(female)

Angela3 HB User

Ok it is recommended to wait six weeks, BUT personally we started a week later, we were careful and gentle and i had no pain, if i did then id wait longer....

With all three i healed very quickly after surgery and frankly, my libido was always crazy after..... so i didnt wait. lol

Old 10-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

You are told to wait 6 weeks because of how fertile you are after birth. My DH and I waited only about 3 weeks last time, we gave in

Old 10-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #10
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bmommy
There's 3 things that I have been wondering about.. First off, is it painful when they put the catheter in?? That seems just.. UGH to me.. Secondly, I know one of the offices nurses said most cesareans are scheduled a week before the delivery date. If the mucous plug has not yet come out, do they just leave it and let it come out whenever?? And thirdly, Do they break your water regularly?? Just curious as to what happens with it, didn't know if they do something while they are in there or what happens...

I would say the same about asking your doctor/nurse to wait till after the epidural is given. If you have never had a cath put in then it hurts a little.

Usually when they plan a C-Sect (I have had two myself) they do plan for it to be a least one week before your due date, with that being said every doctor and pregnancy is different.

There is no need to break the water or suction out mucus or anything before the surgery. Some doctors like to break it before or during, and some wait till after the surgery. Breaking the water is not very important to do for a C-Sect. If it isn't done before, during, or after the surgery it should take care of it's self. Now usually mucus falls out several weeks before your due date. Some women don't loose their mucus plug before giving birth or just don't remember.

Hope this information helped! Take care!

Old 10-27-2005, 05:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Thankyou all for your information.. All of it helped out and I will D*****ITELY be asking for the catheter to be placed after the epi! HAHA! For some reason that just gives me the willies!! Once again thankyou very much!
Amy

Old 10-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

I've had 2 catheters, one I don't remember and one I do. I never felt any discomfort during. Its an odd sensation.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dh22 HB User

i bled for 5 weeks after my c-section. but they gave me an IV for contractions since they took my DS 4 weeks early ( not planned but semi emergeny - total placenta previa)
so the took out most but the first few days it was like a murder took place but then for then next few weeks it was light... i also have heavy bleeding during my regular periods so i that could be why too.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:37 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

I don't remember having pain with my catheter either. I had one with my last c-sect and one with a laproscopy. I do think it's a bit uncomfortable when they pull it out. It sure is nice not having to go potty all the time though, for that reason I love catheters!

Old 10-28-2005, 08:26 AM   #15
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User

The one thing I really hate is not being able to pee (medical term: void) for hours after the cath has been removed. Talk about painful! My body was so dependent on the cath that when they removed it, I couldn't pee on my own. This is why nurses will remove it as soon as they can, usually shortly after the c-sect. This is just a complication of having a cath. Hope none of you will experience this. It hurts so bad!

Closed Thread